1) Bordeaux is France’s largest quality wine region and largest producer of AOC wine.
2) The quality of its vintages drives the fine wine market globally.
3) Bordeaux’s rich history, commercial significance, mercantile mindset, size, and quality set it apart from other French wine regions.
4) They are master at crafting wines made from cabernet sauvignon and merlot, and of course cabernet franc. Plus, they now can be drunk sooner!
5) Growing organic in Bordeaux is possible and already embraced by top properties like Pontet-Canet and Palmer.
6) Bordeaux is home to the iconic ‘The Cité du Vin’ museum which renders almost all of the other wine museums in the world obsolete.
7) If you are a serious wine student, you must master the wines of Bordeaux
Are you interested in buying some Bordeaux wines but think they are out of your league?
It is still possible to find terroir-driven wines, around $25!
Here are five examples:
- Graves - Clos Floridene - $21
- Graves - Chateau Respide-Medeville - $26
- Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux - Chateau Reynon - $14
- Haut-Médoc - Chateau Peyrabon - $16
- Saint-Emilion - Chateau Tour Saint-Christophe - $29
- Haut-Médoc - Château Paloumey - $18
To find these wines try here: https://www.wine-searcher.com
Bordeaux was sending out its clarets on the high seas while Champagne was red and still and Hermitage was white. To master the wines of France, it is essential to understand this important region.
Looking to stock your cellar or make a few higher end/special purchases?
Research vintages before buying. Check out this Bordeaux vintage report on 2001- 2016 vintages in Médoc, Graves, Pomerol, St. Emilion and Sauternes.
BY Julien Camus
Founder & President @ Wine Scholar Guild
Other Blog Entries:
- 10 fabulous facts about Loire Valley wines Written on Monday, 26 August 2019 04:45
- INTERVIEW: Rebecca Christophersen from Italian Wine Institute (Florence, Italy) Written on Tuesday, 13 August 2019 04:27
- Discover our newest study & certification program Written on Tuesday, 30 July 2019 05:12
- Spanish Wine Scholar™ program endorsed by Wines from Spain Written on Wednesday, 24 July 2019 07:50
- INTERVIEW: Jeni Wilson from Vintage Class (Aranda de Duero, Spain) Written on Thursday, 18 July 2019 08:17
- Wine meets food: Tomatoes and Sauvignon Blanc Written on Monday, 01 July 2019 10:19
- Best restaurants for your Bourgogne wine tour Written on Wednesday, 26 June 2019 08:47
- The Wines of Irpinia - Contemporary Excellence from an Ancient Territory Written on Monday, 24 June 2019 04:07
- PODCAST: Pascaline Lepeltier MS on the Loire, MOF, Pet-Nats & so much more! Written on Wednesday, 19 June 2019 09:31