1) Bordeaux is France’s largest quality wine region and largest producer of AOC wine.
2) The quality of its vintages drives the fine wine market globally.
3) Bordeaux’s rich history, commercial significance, mercantile mindset, size, and quality set it apart from other French wine regions.
4) They are master at crafting wines made from cabernet sauvignon and merlot, and of course cabernet franc. Plus, they now can be drunk sooner!
5) Growing organic in Bordeaux is possible and already embraced by top properties like Pontet-Canet and Palmer.
6) Bordeaux is home to the iconic ‘The Cité du Vin’ museum which renders almost all of the other wine museums in the world obsolete.
7) If you are a serious wine student, you must master the wines of Bordeaux
Are you interested in buying some Bordeaux wines but think they are out of your league?
It is still possible to find terroir-driven wines, around $25!
Here are five examples:
- Graves - Clos Floridene - $21
- Graves - Chateau Respide-Medeville - $26
- Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux - Chateau Reynon - $14
- Haut-Médoc - Chateau Peyrabon - $16
- Saint-Emilion - Chateau Tour Saint-Christophe - $29
- Haut-Médoc - Château Paloumey - $18
To find these wines try here: https://www.wine-searcher.com
Bordeaux was sending out its clarets on the high seas while Champagne was red and still and Hermitage was white. To master the wines of France, it is essential to understand this important region.
Looking to stock your cellar or make a few higher end/special purchases?
Research vintages before buying. Check out this Bordeaux vintage report on 2001- 2016 vintages in Médoc, Graves, Pomerol, St. Emilion and Sauternes.
BY Julien Camus
Founder & President @ Wine Scholar Guild
Other Blog Entries:
- A new logo for French, Italian and Spanish Wine Scholar graduates Written on Monday, 01 April 2019 07:59
- Common Knowledge: Photosynthesis Written on Sunday, 31 March 2019 11:08
- PODCAST: Julien Camus on "Wine Scholar Guild: behind the scenes" Written on Wednesday, 13 March 2019 10:42
- INTERVIEW: Ettore Donadeo from Caplan Wine Academy (Tokyo, Japan) Written on Wednesday, 06 March 2019 03:07
- Top 10 things to see & do in Bordeaux - Not all about wine ! Written on Friday, 01 March 2019 08:24
- POLL: Location for WSG's 15th Anniversary Symposium Written on Wednesday, 27 February 2019 04:12
- PODCAST: Andrew Jefford on "Wine Education, Wine Writing, the Business of Wine, and a Fresh Look at the Loire" Written on Tuesday, 26 February 2019 04:52
- 2018 Wine Scholar Guild Awards Written on Monday, 25 February 2019 06:10
- Andrew Jefford joins the Wine Scholar Guild as Academic Advisor Written on Wednesday, 06 February 2019 09:54
- Seasonal Wines for Valentines Written on Thursday, 31 January 2019 09:29