1) Bordeaux is France’s largest quality wine region and largest producer of AOC wine.
2) The quality of its vintages drives the fine wine market globally.
3) Bordeaux’s rich history, commercial significance, mercantile mindset, size, and quality set it apart from other French wine regions.
4) They are master at crafting wines made from cabernet sauvignon and merlot, and of course cabernet franc. Plus, they now can be drunk sooner!
5) Growing organic in Bordeaux is possible and already embraced by top properties like Pontet-Canet and Palmer.
6) Bordeaux is home to the iconic ‘The Cité du Vin’ museum which renders almost all of the other wine museums in the world obsolete.
7) If you are a serious wine student, you must master the wines of Bordeaux
Are you interested in buying some Bordeaux wines but think they are out of your league?
It is still possible to find terroir-driven wines, around $25!
Here are five examples:
- Graves - Clos Floridene - $21
- Graves - Chateau Respide-Medeville - $26
- Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux - Chateau Reynon - $14
- Haut-Médoc - Chateau Peyrabon - $16
- Saint-Emilion - Chateau Tour Saint-Christophe - $29
- Haut-Médoc - Château Paloumey - $18
To find these wines try here: https://www.wine-searcher.com
Bordeaux was sending out its clarets on the high seas while Champagne was red and still and Hermitage was white. To master the wines of France, it is essential to understand this important region.
Looking to stock your cellar or make a few higher end/special purchases?
Research vintages before buying. Check out this Bordeaux vintage report on 2001- 2016 vintages in Médoc, Graves, Pomerol, St. Emilion and Sauternes.
BY Julien Camus
Founder & President @ Wine Scholar Guild
Other Blog Entries:
- Wine meets food: Tomatoes and Sauvignon Blanc Written on Monday, 01 July 2019 10:19
- Best restaurants for your Bourgogne wine tour Written on Wednesday, 26 June 2019 08:47
- The Wines of Irpinia - Contemporary Excellence from an Ancient Territory Written on Monday, 24 June 2019 04:07
- PODCAST: Pascaline Lepeltier MS on the Loire, MOF, Pet-Nats & so much more! Written on Wednesday, 19 June 2019 09:31
- INTERVIEW: Gina Marano from Wine Academy of Las Vegas Written on Monday, 17 June 2019 07:55
- INTERVIEW: Christophe Mercier from Wine & Spirit IQ (Bangkok, Thailand) Written on Wednesday, 05 June 2019 11:48
- FREE: Webinar recording with Steven Spurrier and Andrew Jefford Written on Tuesday, 04 June 2019 04:24
- Visiting Bordeaux! How to plan and organize your Bordeaux wine tour Written on Friday, 17 May 2019 09:17
- PODCAST: Steven Spurrier on Académie du Vin Library, English Wine & more Written on Wednesday, 15 May 2019 08:31
- Common Knowledge: Estuary Written on Wednesday, 01 May 2019 06:12