One of the most traditional and prestigious products of Emilia is Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale (traditional balsamic vinegar). This precious and expensive vinegar is made only in Reggio-Emilia and Modena. The latter is usually considered to craft the most prestigious vinegars of the two. Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale is made through a very long, laborious and patient process that is food preparation turned into art form.
Authentic Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena or Reggio-Emilia is identified by the DOP logo (Denominazione di Origine Protetta) and is distinct from the more common and considerably less expensive Aceto Balsamico (without the word Tradizionale), which is a mass-produced product made from simple vinegar that is sweetened and colored with caramel.
Learn more about Italian food with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
16 of Pascaline's Top Producer Picks in the Loire Valley
- Wine and Food of the Loire Valley Written on Monday, 10 July 2017 08:06
- Bourgogne Wine Tour Up Close and Personal Written on Wednesday, 28 June 2017 09:41
- The Ten Best Italian White Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Monday, 26 June 2017 12:19
- Ten Essential French White Wines Written on Friday, 16 June 2017 11:08
- A Tour of Central Italian Cuisine, By Region Written on Thursday, 04 May 2017 15:04
- What makes each of the 10 crus Beaujolais special - With Map Written on Monday, 20 March 2017 10:12
- The Legend of Chianti's Black Rooster (Gallo Nero) Written on Friday, 24 February 2017 11:45
- Jura's food and drink specialities Written on Monday, 23 January 2017 15:17
- The Diversity of Champagne Houses, Growers, and Coopératives Written on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 15:50