One of the most traditional and prestigious products of Emilia is Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale (traditional balsamic vinegar). This precious and expensive vinegar is made only in Reggio-Emilia and Modena. The latter is usually considered to craft the most prestigious vinegars of the two. Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale is made through a very long, laborious and patient process that is food preparation turned into art form.
Authentic Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena or Reggio-Emilia is identified by the DOP logo (Denominazione di Origine Protetta) and is distinct from the more common and considerably less expensive Aceto Balsamico (without the word Tradizionale), which is a mass-produced product made from simple vinegar that is sweetened and colored with caramel.
Learn more about Italian food with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- Wine Scholar Guild Up Close and Personal - Lisa Airey on the Wine Two Five Podcast! Written on Monday, 20 November 2017 06:17
- The Ten Best Spanish Red Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 10:34
- The Ten Best French Red Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 09:58
- The Ten Best French White Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 09:13
- Hola Spain’s Great Match NYC! Written on Wednesday, 18 October 2017 09:14
- Harmonious Balance in Sangiovese: Ruminations on a Tuscan Taste Written on Tuesday, 17 October 2017 09:16
- Sarah Graham-Beck reports live from our 2017 Bordeaux Wine Study Trip Written on Tuesday, 03 October 2017 03:16
- PODCAST: Pascaline Lepeltier MS's Loire with Andrew Jefford... really good schist! Written on Friday, 21 July 2017 10:01
16 of Pascaline's Top Producer Picks in the Loire Valley
- Wine and Food of the Loire Valley Written on Monday, 10 July 2017 08:06