One of the most traditional and prestigious products of Emilia is Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale (traditional balsamic vinegar). This precious and expensive vinegar is made only in Reggio-Emilia and Modena. The latter is usually considered to craft the most prestigious vinegars of the two. Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale is made through a very long, laborious and patient process that is food preparation turned into art form.
Authentic Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena or Reggio-Emilia is identified by the DOP logo (Denominazione di Origine Protetta) and is distinct from the more common and considerably less expensive Aceto Balsamico (without the word Tradizionale), which is a mass-produced product made from simple vinegar that is sweetened and colored with caramel.
Learn more about Italian food with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- A Tour of Central Italian Cuisine, By Region Written on Thursday, 04 May 2017 15:04
- What makes each of the 10 crus Beaujolais special - With Map Written on Monday, 20 March 2017 10:12
- The Legend of Chianti's Black Rooster (Gallo Nero) Written on Friday, 24 February 2017 11:45
- Jura's food and drink specialities Written on Monday, 23 January 2017 15:17
- The Diversity of Champagne Houses, Growers, and Coopératives Written on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 15:50
- Chateauneuf-Du-Pape 2016… A Fabulous Vintage ! Written on Thursday, 15 December 2016 11:09
- 5 Things to Keep in Mind When Visiting Producers in Burgundy Written on Thursday, 08 December 2016 12:45
- Where is Southwest France? (with map) Written on Tuesday, 06 December 2016 16:58
- Andrew Jefford Uncorked: Reflections on a Career as a Wine Writer Written on Monday, 05 December 2016 10:35
- Bordeaux elected Top City in the World to travel to for 2017 Written on Monday, 07 November 2016 00:00