With a treasure trove of native white varieties, Friuli Venezia Giulia makes some of Italy’s most exciting white wines.
Friuli Venezia Giulia is considered the birthplace of modern Italian white winemaking. In the late 1960s, a small group of inspired producers began crafting clean, fresh and fruity white wines—a monumental shift from the tired, oxidized versions that had been largely produced prior.
At the base of Friuli’s success was (and still is) a focus on single-varietal wines from both native varieties and international grapes that have been acclimatizing and/or thriving in this part of Italy since the 1800s.
A wide range of distinctive grapes, high quality standards, open experimentation, the combination of modern and traditional winemaking practices plus a remarkable terroir graced with a particularly suitable climate and soil all contribute to the ability to make wines of aromatic purity and clean varietal expression coupled with depth, complexity and structure. These qualities are the hallmark signature of Friuli whites. Appellations such as Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the up-and-coming Friuli Isonzo can be considered among the best districts for Italian white wines. Their bottlings regularly receive the highest scores by the most important Italian wine critics.
Learn more about the wines of Friuli Venezia Giulia with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
PODCAST: Pascaline Lepeltier MS's Loire with Andrew Jefford... really good schist!
Written on Friday, 21 July 2017 10:01
16 of Pascaline's Top Producer Picks in the Loire Valley
- Wine and Food of the Loire Valley Written on Monday, 10 July 2017 08:06
Bourgogne Wine Tour Up Close and Personal
Written on Wednesday, 28 June 2017 09:41
- The Ten Best Italian White Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Monday, 26 June 2017 12:19
- Ten Essential French White Wines Written on Friday, 16 June 2017 11:08
- A Tour of Central Italian Cuisine, By Region Written on Thursday, 04 May 2017 15:04
- What makes each of the 10 crus Beaujolais special - With Map Written on Monday, 20 March 2017 10:12
- The Legend of Chianti's Black Rooster (Gallo Nero) Written on Friday, 24 February 2017 11:45
- Jura's food and drink specialities Written on Monday, 23 January 2017 15:17