With a treasure trove of native white varieties, Friuli Venezia Giulia makes some of Italy’s most exciting white wines.
Friuli Venezia Giulia is considered the birthplace of modern Italian white winemaking. In the late 1960s, a small group of inspired producers began crafting clean, fresh and fruity white wines—a monumental shift from the tired, oxidized versions that had been largely produced prior.
At the base of Friuli’s success was (and still is) a focus on single-varietal wines from both native varieties and international grapes that have been acclimatizing and/or thriving in this part of Italy since the 1800s.
A wide range of distinctive grapes, high quality standards, open experimentation, the combination of modern and traditional winemaking practices plus a remarkable terroir graced with a particularly suitable climate and soil all contribute to the ability to make wines of aromatic purity and clean varietal expression coupled with depth, complexity and structure. These qualities are the hallmark signature of Friuli whites. Appellations such as Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the up-and-coming Friuli Isonzo can be considered among the best districts for Italian white wines. Their bottlings regularly receive the highest scores by the most important Italian wine critics.
Learn more about the wines of Friuli Venezia Giulia with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
more information and receive a
FREE sample chapter
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.