The western Veneto is largely and traditionally planted to native grapes; the vineyards are dominated by Garganega and Corvina Veronese.
In central and eastern Veneto, Bordeaux grape varieties are considered to be traditional; they were first planted in the 1830s but took on greater importance after phylloxera struck. Because of phylloxera, native varieties became rare or even disappeared. Merlot stepped into the void. It is now one of the most widely planted red varieties in Veneto and the region has Italy’s largest plantings of the grape. Cabernet Franc, historically planted in more significant numbers, is now eclipsed by Cabernet Sauvignon. Again, with almost 200 years of cultivation, the Bordeaux varieties are considered traditional in central and eastern Veneto.
Since the 1970s, Pinot Grigio has become another major presence there as a result of the success of the Santa Margherita label. Veneto lays claim to Italy’s largest plantings of this grape.
Chardonnay and Pinot Bianco are also widely planted in central and eastern Veneto, followed at some distance by Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Nero, Carmenère and Malbec (spelled Malbech in Italy). Interestingly, Veneto is home to Italy’s largest plantings of Carmenère and Malbec (the former often being confused with Cabernet Franc in the past).
As with most other regions in northeastern Italy, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon are usually bottled together as a blend and labeled simply “Cabernet.”
As for local varieties, central and eastern Veneto is planted to Glera (the grape used for the popular Prosecco) and the interesting, but lesser-known Raboso, Vespaiola and Durella. Verduzzo Trevigiano is also widely planted in eastern Veneto.
Most widely planted grapes in Veneto:
Learn more about Veneto's wine with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
more information and receive a
FREE sample chapter