Christophe Tassan is interviewed by Decanter Magazine’s Andrew Jefford about the Rhône Valley and its wines. “I was born in the dining room, in hospitality,” Christophe tells us, which seems appropriate, as this interview took place in a San Francisco restaurant around the corner from The Battery, where he is currently the wine director.
Born in Avignon, and having come of age alongside Rhône’s wine’s growing popularity over the last several decades, Christophe has literally mastered his craft. In 2004 he earned the distinction of Meilleur Ouvrier de France – Sommelier (MOF), France’s highest honor for sommeliers.
This is a 43-minute conversation covering historical and cultural aspects of the Northern and Southern Rhône regions, and the styles. Christophe says, “It’s better to understand the wine when you see where it comes from” as he teases the upcoming Rhône Study Tour (June 17-22, 2018).
Subscribe & listen to WSG Podcasts on iTunes
Produced by Valerie Caruso, DWS, CWE, FWS
BY Julien Camus
Founder & President @ Wine Scholar Guild
Other Blog Entries:
- PODCAST: Rick Fisher on Sherry and the SWS Program Written on Thursday, 11 October 2018 08:51
- WSG Program Provider Interview: Meet Sharon McLean of Cru Consultancy in Victoria, BC Written on Friday, 05 October 2018 16:08
- Top Bordeaux restaurants with good wine lists Written on Thursday, 20 September 2018 04:20
- New Approved Program Provider in Belgium: Meet Sybille Troubleyn Written on Wednesday, 12 September 2018 04:12
- A Guide to the Lesser Known Italian Red Wines: Trentino, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Sicily Written on Wednesday, 05 September 2018 07:54
- PODCAST: Maurizio Broggi on Northern Italy Written on Tuesday, 04 September 2018 07:06
- Meet Julien Boulard aka Zhulian... new FWS provider in China Written on Monday, 20 August 2018 00:30
- A Guide to the Lesser Known Italian Red Wines: Piedmont Written on Sunday, 12 August 2018 08:48
- Interview: Meet Alessandra Esteves, new WSG program provider & instructor in Miami, FL Written on Friday, 10 August 2018 06:12
- Interview: Meet EnoCultura, FWS program provider in Brazil Written on Tuesday, 31 July 2018 03:26