Today, Veneto represents Italy’s most productive wine region and accounts for 25% of Italy’s total DOC/G wine production.
Although Piemonte and Toscana have a larger number of total DOC/G appellations, Veneto is the country’s largest DOC/G producer. In fact, more than 40% of Veneto’s total wine production falls within the DOC/G categories. IGT accounts for 40% of production and the rest falls under the generic wine category.
Veneto also has the third largest area under vine—approximately 200,000 ac/80,000 ha. Only Sicilia and Puglia have more.
|Total DOCs/DOCGs||Total DOCGs||Total DOCs|
|1 Piemonte||1. Piemonte||1. Piemonte|
|2 Toscana||2 Veneto||2 Toscana|
|3 Veneto||3 Toscana||3 Veneto|
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- Wine Scholar Guild at SommCon DC This July! Written on Monday, 14 May 2018 09:04
- Lisa Airey, WSG Education Director, Knighted by French Government Written on Thursday, 03 May 2018 12:01
- Vin Santo, A Truly Great Dessert Wine from Tuscany Written on Thursday, 19 April 2018 11:11
- Rick Fisher: Up Close and Personal Written on Thursday, 19 April 2018 10:51
7 Reasons to Study Bordeaux + Buying Tips
Why study Bordeaux?
- PODCAST: Jane Anson & Andrew Jefford on Bordeaux Written on Friday, 23 March 2018 04:22
- Seven Things You Might Not Know About Rhône Wines Written on Thursday, 01 March 2018 12:15
- Vin Jaune: Time in a Bottle Written on Wednesday, 28 February 2018 12:21
- The Grapes of Châteauneuf-du-Pape Written on Wednesday, 28 February 2018 12:09