Today, Veneto represents Italy’s most productive wine region and accounts for 25% of Italy’s total DOC/G wine production.
Although Piemonte and Toscana have a larger number of total DOC/G appellations, Veneto is the country’s largest DOC/G producer. In fact, more than 40% of Veneto’s total wine production falls within the DOC/G categories. IGT accounts for 40% of production and the rest falls under the generic wine category.
Veneto also has the third largest area under vine—approximately 200,000 ac/80,000 ha. Only Sicilia and Puglia have more.
|Total DOCs/DOCGs||Total DOCGs||Total DOCs|
|1 Piemonte||1. Piemonte||1. Piemonte|
|2 Toscana||2 Veneto||2 Toscana|
|3 Veneto||3 Toscana||3 Veneto|
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
more information and receive a
FREE sample chapter
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.