The Super-Whites of Friuli
In the late 1970s, the producer, Jermann, created Vintage Tunina, a complex blend of native and international white grapes that became iconic among Friuli’s superior white blends. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, Jermann inspired several other Friuli producers, particularly in the DOCs of Collio and Friuli Colli Orientali.
This new concept of the super-white blend raised the bar of white wine production in Friuli (and in Italy), giving voice to Friuliano, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, Picolit, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Riesling, Pinot Bianco and Pinot Grigio—often in combination.
The super-whites of Friuli represent some of the most complex and structured white wines produced in Italy today. They can be broadly divided into two main categories: intensely aromatic, racy blends fermented in stainless steel, and richer, barrel fermented and barrel aged blends that sometimes incorporate late-harvest fruit to add more depth and complexity. Both styles of super-whites tend to have longer ageing potential.
The majority of the super-whites are usually labelled under the bianco category within the DOCs of Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the Venezia Giulia IGT.
Learn more about Italian super-whites wines with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- PODCAST: Andrew Jefford on the Languedoc-Roussillon Written on Wednesday, 27 December 2017 08:08
- 2017 Brought Changes To The Way We Look At Bourgogne Wines Written on Wednesday, 20 December 2017 11:47
- Wine Scholar Guild Up Close and Personal - Lisa Airey on the Wine Two Five Podcast! Written on Monday, 20 November 2017 06:17
- The Ten Best Spanish Red Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 10:34
- The Ten Best French Red Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 09:58
- The Ten Best French White Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 09:13
- Hola Spain’s Great Match NYC! Written on Wednesday, 18 October 2017 09:14
- Harmonious Balance in Sangiovese: Ruminations on a Tuscan Taste Written on Tuesday, 17 October 2017 09:16
- Sarah Graham-Beck reports live from our 2017 Bordeaux Wine Study Trip Written on Tuesday, 03 October 2017 03:16
- PODCAST: Pascaline Lepeltier MS's Loire with Andrew Jefford... really good schist! Written on Friday, 21 July 2017 10:01