The Super-Whites of Friuli
In the late 1970s, the producer, Jermann, created Vintage Tunina, a complex blend of native and international white grapes that became iconic among Friuli’s superior white blends. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, Jermann inspired several other Friuli producers, particularly in the DOCs of Collio and Friuli Colli Orientali.
This new concept of the super-white blend raised the bar of white wine production in Friuli (and in Italy), giving voice to Friuliano, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, Picolit, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Riesling, Pinot Bianco and Pinot Grigio—often in combination.
The super-whites of Friuli represent some of the most complex and structured white wines produced in Italy today. They can be broadly divided into two main categories: intensely aromatic, racy blends fermented in stainless steel, and richer, barrel fermented and barrel aged blends that sometimes incorporate late-harvest fruit to add more depth and complexity. Both styles of super-whites tend to have longer ageing potential.
The majority of the super-whites are usually labelled under the bianco category within the DOCs of Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the Venezia Giulia IGT.
Learn more about Italian super-whites wines with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- A Tour of Central Italian Cuisine, By Region Written on Thursday, 04 May 2017 15:04
- What makes each of the 10 crus Beaujolais special - With Map Written on Monday, 20 March 2017 10:12
- The Legend of Chianti's Black Rooster (Gallo Nero) Written on Friday, 24 February 2017 11:45
- Jura's food and drink specialities Written on Monday, 23 January 2017 15:17
- The Diversity of Champagne Houses, Growers, and Coopératives Written on Wednesday, 21 December 2016 15:50
- Chateauneuf-Du-Pape 2016… A Fabulous Vintage ! Written on Thursday, 15 December 2016 11:09
- 5 Things to Keep in Mind When Visiting Producers in Burgundy Written on Thursday, 08 December 2016 12:45
- Where is Southwest France? (with map) Written on Tuesday, 06 December 2016 16:58
- Andrew Jefford Uncorked: Reflections on a Career as a Wine Writer Written on Monday, 05 December 2016 10:35
- Bordeaux elected Top City in the World to travel to for 2017 Written on Monday, 07 November 2016 00:00