This new concept of the super-white blend raised the bar of white wine production in Friuli (and in Italy), giving voice to Friuliano, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, Picolit, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Riesling, Pinot Bianco and Pinot Grigio—often in combination.
The super-whites of Friuli represent some of the most complex and structured white wines produced in Italy today. They can be broadly divided into two main categories: intensely aromatic, racy blends fermented in stainless steel, and richer, barrel fermented and barrel aged blends that sometimes incorporate late-harvest fruit to add more depth and complexity. Both styles of super-whites tend to have longer ageing potential.
The majority of the super-whites are usually labelled under the bianco category within the DOCs of Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the Venezia Giulia IGT.
Learn more about Italian super-whites wines with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
LEARN MORE ABOUT ITALIAN WINES:
- ITALIAN WINE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF SOUTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- ITALIAN WINE TRADITION AND TRANSITION WITH NICK BIELAK
- 10 GRAPE VARIETIES TO UNDERSTAND ITALY WITH CIRO PIRONE
- ITALIAN WINE – UNO ZERO UNO (101) WITH ALFONSO CEVOLA
- THE HISTORY OF ITALY IN 12 GLASSES OF WINE WITH PAUL WAGNER
- THE WINES OF ALTO ADIGE/SÜDTIROL WITH MAY MATTA-ALIAH
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF NORTHERN ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
- CLASSIC CUISINES OF CENTRAL ITALY WITH BARBARA PHILIP MW
more information and receive a
FREE sample chapter