The Super-Whites of Friuli
In the late 1970s, the producer, Jermann, created Vintage Tunina, a complex blend of native and international white grapes that became iconic among Friuli’s superior white blends. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, Jermann inspired several other Friuli producers, particularly in the DOCs of Collio and Friuli Colli Orientali.
This new concept of the super-white blend raised the bar of white wine production in Friuli (and in Italy), giving voice to Friuliano, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana, Picolit, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Riesling, Pinot Bianco and Pinot Grigio—often in combination.
The super-whites of Friuli represent some of the most complex and structured white wines produced in Italy today. They can be broadly divided into two main categories: intensely aromatic, racy blends fermented in stainless steel, and richer, barrel fermented and barrel aged blends that sometimes incorporate late-harvest fruit to add more depth and complexity. Both styles of super-whites tend to have longer ageing potential.
The majority of the super-whites are usually labelled under the bianco category within the DOCs of Collio, Friuli Colli Orientali and the Venezia Giulia IGT.
Learn more about Italian super-whites wines with the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
BY Maurizio Broggi
Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier. Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy. Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program
Other Blog Entries:
- The grape behind Italy’s Prosecco wines Written on Monday, 29 August 2016 00:00
- Chemistry behind Champagne aromas Written on Thursday, 18 August 2016 00:00
- 7 reasons why you should tour Southwest France Written on Thursday, 18 August 2016 00:00
- How to pair the best Italian white wines Written on Tuesday, 09 August 2016 00:00
- White wines from Friuli’s hillsides Written on Monday, 18 July 2016 00:00
- The Ten Best Italian Red Wines: A Beginner’s Guide Written on Monday, 11 July 2016 00:00
- The red wines and gravel soils of the Friuli Grave DOC Written on Monday, 20 June 2016 00:00
- Video Excerpt - Wine & War with Don & Petie Kladstrup Written on Friday, 03 June 2016 00:00
- Veneto’s wine production by the numbers Written on Tuesday, 24 May 2016 00:00