A COMPREHENSIVE ONLINE STUDY AND CERTIFICATE PROGRAM ON THE WINES OF BOURGOGNE!
Earn the Bourgogne Master-level certificate through 11 weeks of self-study fully supported by 17 live webinars, a comprehensive study manual, an interactive preparatory e-learning module and quizzes for self-evaluation.
This format provides the convenience and flexibility of an online study program with interactive live “classroom” instruction delivered to a global student network via computer or tablet.
We provide true tech support, stellar instruction from world renowned instructors, a flexible schedule of study designed for busy professionals and all the necessary tools to master the wines of Bourgogne.
This live and online classroom format is starting on Tuesday, October 3rd 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST; register today
Created jointly by the Wine Scholar Guild and lead instructor Don Kinnan, CWE, the Bourgogne Master-Level program is an official course of study designed to provide committed students of wine with the most advanced and comprehensive specialization study program on Bourgogne wine bar none; it is endorsed by the Bourgogne Wine Board - BIVB. After completion of this program, an educator, sommelier or wine enthusiast can teach, sell or enjoy Bourgogne wines with poise and confidence.
- A schedule of study with learning objectives for each lecture
- Online, proctored exam sit
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group organized by students enrolled in the online program
- Preparatory reading assignments, online study module and review quiz
- All webinars are recorded and available for on-demand replay (up to one year from the time of registration)
- Access to instructors via the Q&A forum
Early bird offer: save $50 if you sign-up by August 31st 2017, use coupon code: EARLYBIRDBGML at checkout page
- Don Kinnan, CWE
Lead-instructor; 35 years of experience in the wine industry; Chevalier dans l’Ordre du Merite Agricole
- Allen Meadows
Aka the Burghound
- Alex Gambal
Boston native, now a leading négociant of Grands Crus in Bourgogne
- Andrew Jefford
Award-winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine and author of twelve books on wine including “The New France”
- Stephen Charters MW
Former Professor of Champagne Management, Reims Management School; current Director of Research at School of Wine & Spirits Business at Burgundy School of Business (formerly ESC Dijon)
- Chris Tanghe, MS
Chief Instructor at Guild of Sommeliers
Your moderator and program coordinator will be Lisa M. Airey, CWE, FWS, Education Director, Wine Scholar Guild and BIVB Certified Bourgogne Instructor.
#1 17 live webinars presented by world-renowned Bourgogne experts:
|Don Kinnan||Allen Meadows||Alex Gambal|
|Stephen Charters MW||Chris Tanghe MS|
The Bourgogne Master-Level study manual is a combination of the content of “The Wines of Burgundy” (13th edition) by Sylvain Pitiot and Jean-Charles Servant with WSG insights and perspective written by Lead Instructor, Don Kinnan CWE. These materials have been amassed into a single book.
The student is given three voices within one manual and an opportunity to look at Bourgogne from the standpoint of very different yet complimentary assessments. The goal of this combination of outlook and insight is to paint a multi-dimensional view of a multi-faceted wine region.
Through both presentation of hard fact and philosophical mindset, the manual will comprehensively cover:
- Viticultural History
- Geology, Topography, Soil Layers
- Grapes and the Vine
- Burgundian Grape Growing Practices
- Burgundian Winemaking Practices
- All Sub-regions and all Appellations
- Terroir as expressed in Climats and Lieux-dits
- Wine Villages; Grand Crus & Premiers Crus
- Wine Trade, Wine Statistics, Industry Trends
Plus: Detailed maps for each village
The Bourgogne online study module offers interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use.
Bourgogne online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Full audio narration to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
Welcome webinar with Don Kinnan (30 mins)
Tuesday, October 3rd 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
· Meet your leading instructor and other students
· General orientation
· How to access online program and log-in to live webinars
· How to use the discussion forum
· Overview of the driving forces that impact Bourgogne with regard to grape growing and winemaking
Guest Speaker - Allen Meadows | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, October 5th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Vintages and Wine Quality
Session #1 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Tuesday, October 10th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #2 - Don Kinnan | Recorded | (1 hr)
Session #3 - Don Kinnan | Recorded | (1 hr)
Session #4 | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, October 19th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #5 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Tuesday, October 24th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Guest Speaker - Alex Gambal | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, October 26th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Becoming a Wine Producer in Bourgogne
Session #6 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Tuesday, October 31st 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Morey-Saint-Denis, Chambolle-Musigny, and Vougeot
Session #7 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, November 2nd 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Romanée Conti anyone??
Session #8 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Tuesday, Nov 7th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
The Mountain of Corton, Gateway to the Côte de Beaune
Session #9 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Beaune and Its Siblings
Thursday, Nov 9th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #10 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Ahhhh! Pommard and Volnay
Tuesday, Nov 14th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #11 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Meursault and Puligny-Montrachet, the Royal Court
Thursday, Nov 16th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #12 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
Chassagne-Montrachet and Value Villages of Cote de Beaune
Thursday, Nov 21st 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Session #13 - Don Kinnan | Live | (1 hr)
The Cote Chalonnaise and Maconnais, Burgundy Value Centers
Tuesday, November 28th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Guest Speaker - Steve Charters MW | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, December 7th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
The Business of Bourgogne
Guest Speaker - Chris Tanghe, MS | Live | (1 hr)
Wednesday, December 13th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Guest Speaker - Andrew Jefford | Live | (1 hr)
Thursday, December 14th 2017 @ 12:00 noon EST
Burgundy: nature or nurture?
- You receive the full-color, Bourgogne Master-Level study manual for independent reading and study. Work through the material when you have time in your schedule.
- Attend 17 live webinars for 11 weeks. Webinars are accessible from computer or tablet and give you an opportunity to exchange freely with your instructor and fellow students. We always love to hear from you! Can’t make a webinar live? No problem. All are recorded for on demand replay in webinar or podcast formats…perfect to listen to on your way to work!
- Have a question after watching a recorded webinar? Contact your instructors via the Instructor Q & A forum or email Lisa Airey directly. The choice is yours.
- Schedule an online exam when YOU are ready to sit the exam. Pick a date and time convenient to you. The test consists of 50 multiple choice questions, 10 map identification exercises and 4 essays. There is no tasting component. All you need is a laptop equipped with microphone and webcam plus an internet connection.
- We have structured the curriculum into a 11-week program to keep you focused and disciplined in your study. But you have a full year to sit the exam…just in case life gets in the way.
1. It is manageable.
The program is designed to keep you on track…but it is also flexible enough to enable you to catch up should your schedule get interrupted…or even to suspend it should you get derailed. It is designed to accommodate the needs of a busy professional.
2. You have real human support.
Don Kinnan is available for questions via chat box during webinars, via the Q&A forum and via direct email. There is also a student forum should you wish to create a study group/tasting group in your area or just interact with your fellow students. You can be as interactive or as independent as you want to be.
3. You are part of a global student community.
Your classmates will hail from every segment of the wine industry from all over the globe and offer very different insights and points of view. The intellectual ferment adds to the depth of your learning.
4. Your classroom is mobile.
If you have a computer, cell phone or tablet, you have a classroom.
5. For you, a deal!
Register during the Early Bird course offering and save $50!
The exam is comprised of three separate sections: 50 multiple-choice questions, four short-answer questions and a map exercise. Passing score is 75/100. The exam questions and essay topics are taken from the Bourgogne Study Manual and webinars. Practice maps are also available on the site.
Online exam candidates must have a computer (tablet not compatible), a good internet connection, a webcam and a microphone with speakers for proctoring purposes.
Note: you must have Adobe Flash Player installed to run the quiz.