Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 study trips won't be operating. Study trips will resume as soon as the situation allows. Thank you for your loyalty to the Wine Scholar Guild Study Trips, and please stay in good health!
Embark on our 2020 Piedmont Study Tour with on site professional-level instruction!
Embark on our 2020 Languedoc-Roussillon Wine Study Tour with professional-level instruction!
Languedoc-Roussillon Wine Tour and Study Trip Highlights:
The Languedoc-Roussillon is the largest and most dynamic wine region in France. Diverse and fast moving, this is where 2000 years of history and tradition combine effortlessly with the contemporary and the avant-garde. See it first-hand.
Languedoc-Roussillon boasts 1,029 organic wine producers, the highest number of certified organic wine producers in France.
It also has the largest certified organic area under vine! Interestingly, many of its top wines fall outside the AOC category and are labeled IGP or VdP. This has given tremendous credibility to a wine category for which many have had but modest expectations.
Languedoc-Roussillon merits study. It has a lot to teach us about misconceptions and preconceptions…and value at every price point. And as for beauty and a landscape with drama? Priceless.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while gaining a complete understanding of Languedoc-Roussillon wines. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Your Tour Instructor & Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Wine Scholar Guild Academic Advisor
- Award-Winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine
- Featured presenter for Decanter Education's masterclasses
- Author of twelve books on wine including The New France
He went above and beyond with a serious and significant effort to enhance the learning value of the study trip through his daily talks on the bus, his commentary on the visits, his portable reference library and his impeccable follow through on every single question that came up"
Enjoyed Andrew’s lectures and accounts which had no wasted words, precise and insightful. He is a true professional and up-to-date scholar (rare) whose precise explanation was very helpful"
Andrew Jefford was gracious, charming, knowledgeable and dedicated. I would love to do future tours with Andrew as leader."
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in France for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area. A graduate of France’s Université du Vin, she has earned the prestigious degree of Sommelier-conseil.
Sunday, October 25
- Participants arrive independently in Montpellier and check in to the Océania Le Métrople Montpellier, ideally located close to the Montpellier train station and the historic city center.
- Evening on your own with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Monday, October 26 | Pic St. Loup, Aniane, Terasses de Larzac | B, L
- Set off for the vineyards of Pic Saint Loup and visit a top producer like Chateau de Cazeneuve, Mas Brugiere or Domaine de l’Hortus.
- Enjoy lunch of regional specialties.
- Move on to Aniane, the first self-styled “Grand Cru” of the Languedoc, and visit a renowned estate like Mas de Daumas Gassac or Domaine Capion.
- In the Terasses de Larzac, visit a fine producer like Mas Jullien or Clos du Serre.
- Check in to 4-star Garrigae Distillerie de Pézenas in the charming, historic city of Pézenas.
- Take the evening to explore Pézenas on your own, with our restaurant suggestions.
Tuesday, October 27 | Saint Chinian, Pézénas, Faugères| B, L, D
- Begin the day in Saint Chinian with a visit to an innovative producer like Clos Bagatelle, Chateau la Dournie or Laurent Miquel-Cazal Viel.
- Lunch will be at a groumet restaurant in Béziers.
- Visit and tasting at Domaine Prieuré de St. Jean de Bébian, a flagship domaine of the Languedoc since the early 80’s.
- Discover Faugères, a small, high quality appellation based 100% on schist soils, with a visit and tasting at the exceptional Domaine de Cébène.
- Dinner tonight is at Le Pré Saint Jean, an excellent restaurant with an extensive list of regional wines.
Wednesday, October 28 | Limoux, Cabardès, Carcassonne | B
- In Limoux, visit a top producer like English-owned Château Rives Blanques. cooperative Sieur d’Arques or Domaine de Baronarques, owned by the Rothschild family.
- Your next stop is the Languedoc’s most famous historic site (and one of the most famous in France), the fortified medieval city of Carcassonne. You’ll have a few hours here to enjoy lunch on your own and discover this impressive walled city.
- Round out the day in the relatively young appellation of Cabardès at a fine producer like Chateau Auzias, Chateau Pennautier (sometimes called “the Versailles of Languedoc”) or Chateau Ventenac.
- Return to Pézenas for an evening on your own.
Thursday, October 29 | Côtes de Roussillon Villages, Maury, Rivesaltes, Banyuls | B, L, D
- Head south today to the stunning Roussillon region, and arrive at your first stop in Côtes de Rousillon Villages/Maury.
- Visit and taste at a top estate like Mas Amiel, Domaine des Enfants or Domaine Gardiés.
- A gourmet lunch awaits you along the way.
- Head down the Mediterranean coast to the fabulously beautiful slopes of Banyuls, the southernmost appellation in France.
- Visit a great producer in Banyuls like Clos Saint Sebastien or Domaine de la Rectorie.
- Your farewell dinner is at acclaimed Michelin-starred gastronomic Restaurant de Lauzun in Pézenas.
Friday, October 30 | Picpoul de Pinet, La Clape | B, L
- Visit the vineyards of Picpoul de Pinet, the maritime appellation that is the largest white wine AOP of the Languedoc. Visit the largest individual producer in the appellation, Domaine Felines-Jourdan.
- In La Clape, you’ll walk in the vineyards with their dramatic views of the Mediterranean Sea and visit one of the top producers of the appellation, Mas du Soleilla.
- Enjoy a lovely lunch in the La Clape vineyards at Chateau l’Hospitalet.
- Visit and taste at another excellent La Clape producer like Chateau Camplazens, Chateau des Karantes or Chateau La Negly.
- Your study trip ends with a group transfer to Narbonne TGV train station, Gare de Narbonne.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
Hotel rooms: Garrigae Distillerie de Pézenas is a small, boutique hotel: rooms may not all be exactly the same, and they may also be in different categories. We will assign hotel rooms in the order of sign-ups for the trip. All rooms will be very comfortable and have the same services (en-suite bathrooms, A/C, WiFi, etc.).
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- Deluxe air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on board
- 1 night at 4-star Hotel Océania Le Métrople in Montpellier, double occupancy
- 4 nights at 4-star Garrigae Distillerie de Pézenas in Pézenas, double occupancy
- 4 gourmet lunches expertly matched with top-quality wines
- 2 gastronomic dinners, including one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant, expertly matched with top-quality wines
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,195.00
Single Supplement: US$ 295.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2020, you will receive a Multi-Trip Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information:
CHECK OUT THE EXCLUSIVE WINE TASTINGS AND PRESTIGIOUS PRODUCERS FROM OUR PAST LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON WINE TOURS
ESTATES VISITED ON PREVIOUS LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON WINE TOURS
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on passed study wine tours to Languedoc Roussillon.
Chateau de Cazeneuve
Domaine de l’Hortus
Mas de Daumas Gassac
Domaine La Peira en Damaisèla
La Cave de Pomerols
Domaine de Nizas
Domaine de Cébène
Domaine Prieuré de St. Jean de Bébian
Château La Voulte-Gasparets
Borie de Maurel
Domaine Coume del Mas
Domaine des Paulilles
Mas du Soleilla
All upcoming tours:
AlsaceJun 07 - Jun 12, 2020
ChampagneJun 23 - Jun 27, 2020
PiedmontSep 13 - Sep 18, 2020
BordeauxOct 04 - Oct 09, 2020
LoireOct 11 - Oct 16, 2020
SicilyOct 11 - Oct 16, 2020
RhôneOct 18 - Oct 23, 2020
BourgogneOct 25 - Oct 30, 2020
Languedoc-RoussillonOct 25 - Oct 30, 2020