THE FRENCH WINE SCHOLAR® PROGRAM IS THE INDUSTRY'S MOST RESPECTED CERTIFICATION COURSE ON THE WINES OF FRANCE.
The French Wine Scholar® program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available. The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
The French Wine Scholar® Online | Independent Study Format Includes
- A comprehensive 330-page study manual with illustrations, maps, and graphics, available in print + e-book formats
- 1-year access to our interactive and user-friendly e-learning platform including online learning modules, pronunciation exercises, quizzes and flashcards
- The FWS Study Roadmap: A Checklist For Success, providing a suggested schedule of study
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group
- An online exam sit (100 multiple choice questions).
The FWS program is also available in a Instructor-Led Online format with professional instructor support from with acclaimed wine educators Sharon McLean, DipWSET, FWS and WSG Education Director Lisa M. Airey. Many students find that this format gives the extra support and motivation to get to the finish line.
- Laura Gutierrezon May 8, 2023"The French Wine Schola has meant to me a great opportunity to widen my knowledege of the wines of France. It not only dives into all the winemaking regions of this country, but it also makes you enjoy by discovering other fascinating facets of its culture."
- gracematalaon May 2, 2023"Best course you can ask for if you need to get in top wine as professional. Great Material and best course provide as well. ."
- JUAN CARLOS GALLEGOS HAPPLEon May 1, 2023"FWS is the basis of all wine studies as it comprises the cornerstone and benchmark of winemaking and wine styles worldwide. It was a challenging course, but very rewarding."
- Chia Wei Chenon Apr 26, 2023"The FWS program provides very detailed information about the French wine industry and culture. It’s very enjoyable to dig into the program."
- Daniel Meijleson Apr 17, 2023"A great way to deep-dive in all things French wine related: from understanding the basics of the wines from each corner of l'hexagon and the reasons why certain styles are made, to why AOC labelled wines don't always mean the best. The FWS program has something for all..."
- Brian McAteeron Apr 15, 2023"The course is very thorough with interesting details about each region."
- Carlos Reison Apr 12, 2023"Taming the FWS was, above all, fun! There is an vast and detailed content for each French region. Initially, it may even seem scary, but with time everything fits together like a big puzzle and the result is beautiful! Knowledge for life! The goal now is to be able to visit all these beautiful regions in loco. Santé!"
- Carlos Reison Apr 12, 2023"attending the FWS was, above all, fun! There is very broad and detailed content for each French region. Initially, it may even seem scary, but with time everything fits together like a big puzzle and the result is beautiful! Knowledge for life! The goal now is to be able to visit all these beautiful regions in loco. Santé!"
- Jeff Campbellon Apr 9, 2023"The French Wine Scholar program is the second Wine Scholar Guild program i've taken after passing the Spanish Wine Scholar exam earlier this year. I highly recommend these programs to expand your wine knowledge. They are very well written and the supplemental materials that are included on-line make for a very enjoyable learning experience. Jeff Campbell, SWS"
- Jeff Campbellon Apr 9, 2023"The French Wine Scholar program is the second Wine Scholar Guild program i've taken after passing the Spanish Wine Scholar exam earlier this year. I highly recommend these programs to expand your wine knowledge. They are very well written and the supplemental materials that are included on-line make for a very enjoyable learning experience."
- Patrick McDowellon Mar 26, 2023"A brilliant course for enthusiasts of French wine and France, which comes through in the relevant history, geography and winemaking that integrate into a program that's much more of a full terroir than a simple tutored tasting . I rediscovered a passion for France and a much greater understanding of its wines."
- Sujayon Mar 25, 2023"This course provided extensive knowledge about wines coming from France. The history, culture, climate, grapes and method of production is given in so much detail that you want to know everything about this country. I loved this program."
- Chan Kwok Hinon Mar 22, 2023"The comprehensive online module which is very good for the Wine Scholar Guild learning. "
- Bingjie Chenon Mar 17, 2023"The programme does offer me a deeper understanding of French wine history. The knowledge of topology, climate and their impacts on viticulture helps to comprehend Terroir. "
- Trish Nunanon Mar 7, 2023"Overall an excellent programs that gives the student a broad base for study including subjects of geography, geology, history, viticulture, biology and chemistry. I would feel quite confident discussing French wine and advising others based on my understanding of grape varieties, regions, production methods and quality levels. Highly recommended. "
We offer all the necessary tools & support to master the wines of France!
FWS Study Manual in print + e-book formats
The 330-page, full-color study manual (NEW 7th Edition) provides all the information from which the test questions are derived. You do not need to research you own study materials; everything you need to know is in the manual.
Comprehensive coverage of France’s 14 distinct wine regions:
- Viticultural history, wine culture and traditions
- Location and climate and their effects on viticulture and wine style
- Topography, geography and soils and their impact on the vine
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking practices
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All AOCs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
- A Fundamentals Unit covering the history of France, its political geography, physical geography, climate, soils, grapes, training systems, and viticultural & vinicultural practices…plus an important piece on how AOCs are counted and why different sources quote different figures.
- Special focus on current regional trends and challenges
- Pie charts of pertinent AOC production numbers and area under vine by wine region
- Learning objectives that provide detailed assessment criteria for mastery
Regions covered: Alsace, Champagne, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, South-West, Languedoc, Roussillon, Rhône, Provence, Corsica
FWS Online Study Modules
The FWS online study modules offer interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use. Each region of France is covered and dovetails nicely with the French Wine Scholar study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
French Wine Scholar® online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Educational graphics, videos and pronunciation exercises to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
Professional Instructor Support
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by French Programs Director
- Online On-Demand Instructor-Led Format: via the Q&A forum in your online classroom, directly via email, and during live online Monthly Meet-Ups with your instructors
- In Classroom: via a local, certified instructor
About the French Wine Scholar:
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”Martin Sinkoff"My most sincere appreciation goes to the WSG team for their great work to make French wines so much fun…Xavier Barlier
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.