THE FRENCH WINE SCHOLAR™ PROGRAM IS THE INDUSTRY'S MOST RESPECTED CERTIFICATION COURSE ON THE WINES OF FRANCE.
The French Wine Scholar™ education program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available.The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
The French Wine Scholar ™ online | Independent Study Format includes:
- The French Wine Scholar™ online exam*
- A suggested schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps of all French wine regions
- Pronunciation exercises to boosts your credibility
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group hosted by students enrolled in the online program
Alternately, the FWS program is available in a instructor-led online format with professional instructor support from with acclaimed wine educators Sharon Mclean, DipWSET, FWS and WSG Education Director Lisa M. Airey, CWE, FWS
WE OFFER ALL THE NECESSARY TOOLS & SUPPORT TO MASTER THE WINES OF FRANCE:
The 270-page, full-color study manual (6th Edition) provides all the information from which the test questions are derived. You do not need to research you own study materials; everything you need to know is in the manual.
Comprehensive coverage of France’s 14 distinct wine regions is presented in the following manner:
- Viticultural history, wine culture and traditions
- Location and climate and their effects on viticulture and wine style
- Topography, geography and soils and their impact on the vine
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking practices
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All AOCs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
Regions covered: Alsace, Champagne, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Southwest, Languedoc, Roussillon, Rhône, Provence, Corsica
Plus: A Foundation Unit covering: French wine law, grape varieties, viticulture, viniculture and a discussion of Old World vs. New World wine styles
French Wine Scholar™ study manual features:
The FWS online study modules offer interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use. Each region of France is covered and dovetails nicely with the French Wine Scholar study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
French Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Full audio narration to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by Lisa M. Airey, WSG Education Director
- Online Instructor-led Format: via the Q&A forum plus email and live chat with acclaimed wine educators Sharon Mclean, DipWSET, FWS and WSG Education Director Lisa M. Airey, CWE, FWS
- In Classroom: via a local, certified instructor
FWS Online Exam:
- The exam is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 60 minutes.
- The French Wine Scholar credential will be conferred to those individuals who sit the exam and achieve a score of 75 or higher.
- Online exam candidates must have a computer (tablet not compatible), a good internet connection, a webcam and a microphone with speakers for proctoring purposes.
Important notice: Candidates cancelling less than 5 business days prior to their scheduled exam date or not showing up the day of will incur a $85 re-scheduling fee.
"The French Wine Scholar manual has once again proven why the Wine Scholar Guild is one of the best wine…Nicholas PolettoDirector of Education at Kobrand Corporation"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”Martin SinkoffVP and Director of Marketing, Frederick Wildman And Sons
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.