THE FRENCH WINE SCHOLAR™ PROGRAM IS THE INDUSTRY'S MOST RESPECTED CERTIFICATION COURSE ON THE WINES OF FRANCE.
The French Wine Scholar™ education program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available. The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
- A comprehensive 330-page study manual with illustrations, maps, and graphics, available in print + e-book formats
- 1-year access to our interactive and user-friendly e-learning platform including online learning modules, pronunciation exercises, quizzes and flashcards
- A suggested schedule of study* with learning objectives that provide detailed assessment criteria for mastery
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group
- An online exam sit (100 multipe choice questions).
The FWS program is available in a 10-week instructor-led online format with professional instructor support from with acclaimed wine educators Sharon Mclean, DipWSET, FWS and WSG Education Director Lisa M. Airey.
- Serge Perrin Merinoson Sep 15, 2022"Deep dive in french wines. Very complementary to other reputed wines curriculums (e.g. WSET3). As a french citizen, I have learnt many things that the great majority of my compatriots (including wine lovers) have no clues about. "
- Jocelyn NICOLASon Aug 22, 2022"An exciting learning experience, with a global vision of french wines (geology, history, geography, regulations, wine industry, winemaking, wine characteristics etc...) ! Jocelyn NICOLAS, FWS"
- Rosana Pasinion Aug 4, 2022"WSG has definetelly the best online materials for the student to study. It's clear, it's simple and shows the details of terroirs, history, wines in a very easy and lovey way. The classes are great and pleasant. I'll definetelly go on studying with WSG."
- Celia Coriglianoon Aug 3, 2022"Very satisfied. Concepts solidificated. Very good ilustration that helps the information capture."
- Che Chun Alex Tsuion Jul 28, 2022"A top-notch qualification enabling everybody to take a deep dive into French Wines! The materials are incredibly well written and the online studying materials are very helpful as well. I especially like the recently-published list of recommended producers and appreciate that there are hundreds of high-quality wine labels presented as examples throughout the online learning module."
- Edward Halibozekon Jul 26, 2022"Great program with excellent course material. Perhaps too much information for a short term course. "
- Ronbenitezon Jul 26, 2022"Was fun, look forward to the next one"
- Adam Saunon Jul 13, 2022"I would highly recommend this course to any professional or enthusiast who has an interest in French wine. The course goes into great detail giving you a deep understanding of the history, climate, viticulture, winemaking, key wine styles and AOCs of all the French wine regions. It really immerses you in the culture of France and it will make you want to travel to each and every one of the regions!"
- I Putu Rio Chandrabawa Adi Wigunaon Jun 23, 2022"I would definitely recommend everyone to take WSG courses to expand their knowledge of wine...looking to further dig down the world of wine, you can't be wrong with entrusting that journey with WSG. The materials are well-designed by experts in such a way that can be easily digested despite the sheer amount of depth."
- Mark Snowon Jun 1, 2022"The French Wine Scholar course is an exercise in excellence. The materials are rigorously crafted by people who obviously love the wines of the region, and the information within is invaluable to anyone seeking advanced knowledge of this most famous of winemaking countries. The textbook will continue to be a resource for me for years to come. "
- Tim Henshawon May 26, 2022"A very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable course, that combines Classroom, Online and private study opportunities, with the added bonus of being able to taste the wines from the various regions, which helps to cement the idea of Terroir into the style and profile of the regions."
- Sabina Poirieron May 12, 2022"Overall, the program is excellent. It has given me a more complete view of the wines of France than I've had in the past. Specifically, I learned about regions that I've not really been exposed to much, and it has given me a better understanding of context. It has also given me a much easier way to think of Bourgogne, especially, the Côte d'Or. I've long had trouble remembering what was what in the Côte d'Or (despite working with some iconic wineries), and I feel much more confident. This goes for all regions really - the course really helps to understand the regions, terroirs, viti, vini, and history, and how it all fits together."
- Ylva Lindskogon Apr 28, 2022"Really enjoyed the programme - thank you!"
- Milos Jerabekon Apr 28, 2022"I love your take :)"
- Ying Ying Chenon Apr 28, 2022"As a wine amteur, I really enjoyed the FWS journey, and have learnt so much from it. I have just finished WSET L3 and finding that I wanted to learn more. FWS expanded my understanding on French wine region, history and deepen my knowledge of how French classifying system works and more pleasure in appreciating wine. Will keep going with WSG study and look forward to the wine trips in the future!"
We offer all the necessary tools & support to master the wines of France!
The 330-page, full-color study manual (NEW 7th Edition) provides all the information from which the test questions are derived. You do not need to research you own study materials; everything you need to know is in the manual.
Comprehensive coverage of France’s 14 distinct wine regions:
- Viticultural history, wine culture and traditions
- Location and climate and their effects on viticulture and wine style
- Topography, geography and soils and their impact on the vine
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking practices
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All AOCs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
- A Fundamentals Unit covering the history of France, its political geography, physical geography, climate, soils, grapes, training systems, and viticultural & vinicultural practices…plus an important piece on how AOCs are counted and why different sources quote different figures.
- Special focus on current regional trends and challenges
- Pie charts of pertinent AOC production numbers and area under vine by wine region
- Learning objectives that provide detailed assessment criteria for mastery
Regions covered: Alsace, Champagne, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Southwest, Languedoc, Roussillon, Rhône, Provence, Corsica
The FWS online study modules offer interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use. Each region of France is covered and dovetails nicely with the French Wine Scholar study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
French Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Educational graphics, videos and pronunciation exercises to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by French Programs Director
- Online Instructor-led Format: via the Q&A forum plus email and live chat with acclaimed wine educators
- In Classroom: via a local, certified instructor
About the French Wine Scholar:
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”Martin Sinkoff"My most sincere appreciation goes to the WSG team for their great work to make French wines so much fun…Xavier Barlier
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.