Due to the continued Covid pandemic, we have decided to resume our WSG study trips in 2022, with your health and safety being our primary concern. Please stay tuned though because as soon as it is safe to travel, the WSG trips will be coming back even better than before!
Expect the same great instructors, same great producers, same sense of companionship, even better hotels as well as new add-ons including pre-trip online educational webinars, Q&A and social gatherings, welcome meet & greet drink... and more!
WSG members and previous tour participants will continue to benefit from priority booking by having reservations open to them 10 days before the general public.
Add your name and email address in the form below to obtain information about our tours.
Embark on our Alsace Study Tour with professional-level instruction on site coupled with a certificate program!
Alsace Wine Tour and Study Trip Highlights:
Alsace is France’s Rhineland. This sunlit, exquisitely pretty land of vine-covered hills and flowers cascading from the balconies of half-timbered houses invariably enchants those who visit it. The pull is deepened by the region’s perfect synthesis of Gallic and Teutonic cultures, by its gastronomic traditions, by its unique geological complexity and more recently too by the fact that many of France’s most innovative and forward-thinking wine growers are working in Alsace. The region’s cutting-edge wine culture is getting to grips with new ways of interpreting Alsace’s 13 grape varieties and 50+ Grand Cru sites – not least the growing prominence of Lieux-Dit wines, with a Premier Cru system being actively discussed for the future. Stay on top of all of these changes -- and give yourself an unforgettably indulgent week in great company at the same time -- with our Wine Tour and Study Trip.
- Discover Alsace with Andrew Jefford, the multi-award-winning writer for Decanter and World of Fine Wine magazines, recently appointed overall Academic Advisor for Wine Scholar Guild
- Tour Alsace, walk the vineyards, debate key issues with top growers, and enjoy Andrew’s friendly, accessible yet scholarly introductions to the region’s essential topics and personalities
- Relish the privilege of tasting some of Alsace’s greatest wines, both analytically in growers’ cellars and appreciatively as we enjoy gourmet meals together
- Discover one of France’s greatest dessert-wine traditions from a region blessed with regular late-season sunshine and lavish botrytis
- Grab a special focus on biodynamics from one of the world-wine regions where it is most widely and most thoughtfully practiced
- Check out the terroir focus in Alsace: no region can offer wine-growers a more complex geological mix to get to grips with than this
- Taste for yourself why the cuisine of Alsace is considered one of France’s finest, and learn to see Alsace wines in a new light by pairing them with the foods for which they are intended
We’re very proud of the camaderie and insights our guests report from travelling with like-minded wine students, whether they be professionals from different wine backgrounds or simply committed wine lovers. Learn to love Alsace with future friends!
Your Tour Instructor & Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Wine Scholar Guild Academic Advisor
- Award-Winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine
- Featured presenter for Decanter Education's masterclasses
- Author of twelve books on wine including The New France
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in France for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area. A graduate of France’s Université du Vin, she has earned the prestigious degree of Sommelier-conseil.
Sunday, June 7
- Participants arrive independently to Strasbourg and check into the charming 4-star Hotel Beaucour, ideally located in the town center.
- Evening on your own to explore Strasbourg with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Monday, June 8 | B, L,
- Meet the rest of the group and instructor Andrew Jefford in the hotel lobby and set out for the vineyards. As you travel, Andrew will explain the complex geology of the Alsace wine region and give you an overview of the terroirs you’ll be visiting.
- Visit Domaine Ostertag, a biodynamic estate where winemaker André Ostertag seeks to express the nuances of terroir rather than the typicity of grape varieties. You’ll taste from his large range of wines including Grand Cru Muenchberg.
- Enjoy a gourmet lunch with great wines at Auberge du Bouc Bleu in Beblenheim
- Visit one of the finest estates in Alsace, Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, and taste wines from the three main grape varieties from each of their four principal terroirs.
- Visit Domaine Leon Beyer, a great traditional estate and insider’s secret, with an extensive tasting.
- Check into 4-star James Boutique Hotel, ideally located in the historic center of Colmar.
- The evening is yours to explore Colmar and dine in one of the city’s many excellent restaurants.
Tuesday, June 9 | B, L,D
- Visit one of the most emblematic Alsatian producers, Maison Trimbach, and taste their great domaine and négociant wines.
- Stop for a delicious Japanese themed-lunch at the beautiful “table d’hote-host table” of Christophe and Yuka Mittnacht at Domaine Mittnacht.
- Another great visit and tasting awaits you at a top producer like Domaine Bott-Geyl, Domaine Paul Ginglinger or Domaine Melanie Pfister.
- Learn how a large Alsatian cooperative works at the Cave Cooperative de Turckheim and taste a number of their fine cuvées.
- Enjoy a gastronomic feast for dinner at acclaimed restaurant La Taverne Alsacienne, where Andrew will lead you through a multi-course meal paired with prestigious Alsace wines.
Wednesday, June 10 | B, L
- Begin the day with a walk through the vineyards with Philippe Blanck at Domaine Paul Blanck, followed by a tasting of their wonderful Gewurztraminers and Rieslings.
- Enjoy lunch of traditional specialties at Côté Vigne.
- This afternoon, visit two great traditional producers, Domaine Schoffit and Domaine Albert Boxler.
- Enjoy dinner on your own with our suggestions for fine restaurants in Colmar.
Thursday, June 11 | B, D
- At Domaine Albert Mann, you’ll explore red Pinot Noir wines from the great terroirs of Wettolsheim and observe how the terroir affects the style of the wines.
- Andrew will lead you on a short walk through the Schoenenbourg vineyards overlooking the village of Riquewihr, one of the best-known Grand Crus in the region.
- Arrive in Riquewihr, a beautiful village with typical Alsatian architecture. Enjoy lunch on your own and time to explore the village and shop in its many fine boutiques.
- Visit Domaine Meyer-Fonné in the village of Katzenthal, known for its distinctive granite soils and lesser-known but excellent Grand Cru Wineck-Schlossberg.
- Tonight you’ll enjoy a special farewell dinner at Colmar’s premier restaurant, Michelin 2-star Restaurant JY’s.
Friday, June 12 | B, L
- Discover great Crémants d’Alsace at Domaine Dopff au Moulin, the historic pioneer of these Alsatian sparkling wines. This innovative producer is still experimenting today, with their Nature cuvee, Solera cuvee and more - you’ll get to taste these before they’re released!
- Visit renowned Domaine Weinbach, where you’ll taste Rieslings from the granitic Grand Cru Schlossberg, as well as Gewurtztraminers from neighboring calcareous terroirs.
- In the beautiful village of Kaysersberg, enjoy a gastronomic take on traditional Alsatian “tartes flambées”at Flamme & Co., in a resolutely modern setting.
- Your study trip ends with a group transfer late afternoon to Colmar train station.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- The complete Wine Scholar Guild Alsace Master Level online course, including the written manual, online webinars and online exam
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 1 night at 4-star Hotel Beaucour in Strasbourg, double occupancy
- 4 nights at 4-star James Boutique Hotel in Colmar, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners, including one at a Michelin 2-star restaurant, paired with great wines
- 4 gourmet lunches with top-quality wines
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,425.00
Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 4,195.00
(Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Alsace Master-Level program**)
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available (2 single beds). Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**The Enrolled Study Price applies to those currently studying in the Alsace Master-Level program or who have completed it. Full registration in the Alsace Master-Level program means students who have previously ordered the Alsace Master-Level study manual, exam registration and online study program.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2020, you will receive a Multi-Trip Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
Check out the exclusive wine tastings and prestigious Alsace producers from our past Alsace wine tours
ENJOY MEMORABLE MEALS AT GASTRONOMIC RESTAURANTS & CELLAR
Credits picture: Restaurant JY’s
Past Alsace Wine Tours Gallery
The following quiz is part of the WSG's French Wine Scholar study & certification program. Enjoy!
Estates visited on previous Alsace Wine Tours
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on passed study wine tours to Alsace.
Domaine des Maronniers
Domaine Marcel Deiss
Cave Cooperative de Ribeauvillé
Chateau de Kientzheim
Domaine Albert Mann
Domaine Leon Beyer
Domaine Mittnacht Frères
Domaine Albert Boxler
Domaine Marc Tempé
Chateau de Kientzheim
Domaine Paul Blanck