Embark on our 2020 Alsace Study Tour with professional-level instruction on site coupled with a certificate program!
Alsace Wine Tour and Study Trip Highlights:
Alsace is uniquely positioned in North-East France, between the Vosges Mountains and the German border. Cut off topographically from the rest of France and wide open to the Rhine and its people, Alsace has developed a unique culture and wine tradition that is an amalgamation of both Teutonic and Gallic influences. With 5 sub-regions, 13 grape varieties, 200+ terroir styles, and 1,000 producers crafting more than 10, 000 cuvées of dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet or sweet wines every year, Alsace is incredibly complex. This tour will allow you to master this fascinating wine region.
- Discover the Alsace wine region with your instructor, Andrew Jefford, an award-winning journalist for Decanter magazine, presenter of Decanter master classes and author of numerous books on wine including The New France.
- Tour through Alsace and study the difference in Alsace wine styles.
- Experience insider tastings with winemakers at top Alsace estates. Taste different vintages and experience the depth and remarkable quality of these distinguished wines.
- Taste rare sweet wines considered amongst the greatest botrytis-affected dessert wines of the world.
- Learn about winemaking practices in Alsace when guided by the sun, the moon and the stars with a pioneer of biodynamic viticulture in the region, Olivier Humbrecht, MW
- Lunch and dine in the region's best restaurants and discover the signature dishes of Alsace and their traditional wine pairings.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, convivial and unforgettable experience while gaining a complete understanding of Alsace wines.
Your Tour Instructor & Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Award-Winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine
- Featured presenter for Decanter Education's masterclasses
- Author of twelve books on wine including The New France
He went above and beyond with a serious and significant effort to enhance the learning value of the study trip through his daily talks on the bus, his commentary on the visits, his portable reference library and his impeccable follow through on every single question that came up"
Enjoyed Andrew’s lectures and accounts which had no wasted words, precise and insightful. He is a true professional and up-to-date scholar (rare) whose precise explanation was very helpful"
Andrew Jefford was gracious, charming, knowledgeable and dedicated. I would love to do future tours with Andrew as leader."
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in France for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area. A graduate of France’s Université du Vin, she has earned the prestigious degree of Sommelier-conseil.
Sunday, June 7
- Participants arrive independently to Strasbourg and check into the charming 4-star Hotel Beaucour, ideally located in the town center.
- Evening on your own to explore Strasbourg with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Monday, June 8 | B, L,
- Meet the rest of the group and instructor Andrew Jefford in the hotel lobby and set out for the vineyards. As you travel, Andrew will explain the complex geology of the Alsace wine region and give you an overview of the terroirs you’ll be visiting.
- Visit Domaine Ostertag, a biodynamic estate where winemaker André Ostertag seeks to express the nuances of terroir rather than the typicity of grape varieties. You’ll taste from his large range of wines including Grand Cru Muenchberg.
- Enjoy a gourmet lunch with great wines at Auberge du Bouc Bleu in Beblenheim
- Visit one of the finest estates in Alsace, Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, and taste wines from the three main grape varieties from each of their four principal terroirs.
- Visit Domaine Leon Beyer, a great traditional estate and insider’s secret, with an extensive tasting.
- Check into 4-star James Boutique Hotel, ideally located in the historic center of Colmar.
- The evening is yours to explore Colmar and dine in one of the city’s many excellent restaurants.
Tuesday, June 9 | B, L,D
- Visit one of the most emblematic Alsatian producers, Maison Trimbach, and taste their great domaine and négociant wines.
- Stop for a delicious Japanese themed-lunch at the beautiful “table d’hote-host table” of Christophe and Yuka Mittnacht at Domaine Mittnacht.
- Another great visit and tasting awaits you at a top producer like Domaine Bott-Geyl, Domaine Paul Ginglinger or Domaine Melanie Pfister.
- Learn how a large Alsatian cooperative works at the Cave Cooperative de Turckheim and taste a number of their fine cuvées.
- Enjoy a gastronomic feast for dinner at acclaimed restaurant La Taverne Alsacienne, where Andrew will lead you through a multi-course meal paired with prestigious Alsace wines.
Wednesday, June 10 | B, L
- Begin the day with a walk through the vineyards with Philippe Blanck at Domaine Paul Blanck, followed by a tasting of their wonderful Gewurztraminers and Rieslings.
- Enjoy lunch of traditional specialties at Côté Vigne.
- This afternoon, visit two great traditional producers, Domaine Schoffit and Domaine Albert Boxler.
- Enjoy dinner on your own with our suggestions for fine restaurants in Colmar.
Thursday, June 11 | B, D
- At Domaine Albert Mann, you’ll explore red Pinot Noir wines from the great terroirs of Wettolsheim and observe how the terroir affects the style of the wines.
- Andrew will lead you on a short walk through the Schoenenbourg vineyards overlooking the village of Riquewihr, one of the best-known Grand Crus in the region.
- Arrive in Riquewihr, a beautiful village with typical Alsatian architecture. Enjoy lunch on your own and time to explore the village and shop in its many fine boutiques.
- Visit Domaine Meyer-Fonné in the village of Katzenthal, known for its distinctive granite soils and lesser-known but excellent Grand Cru Wineck-Schlossberg.
- Tonight you’ll enjoy a special farewell dinner at Colmar’s premier restaurant, Michelin 2-star Restaurant JY’s.
Friday, June 12 | B, L
- Discover great Crémants d’Alsace at Domaine Dopff au Moulin, the historic pioneer of these Alsatian sparkling wines. This innovative producer is still experimenting today, with their Nature cuvee, Solera cuvee and more - you’ll get to taste these before they’re released!
- Visit renowned Domaine Weinbach, where you’ll taste Rieslings from the granitic Grand Cru Schlossberg, as well as Gewurtztraminers from neighboring calcareous terroirs.
- In the beautiful village of Kaysersberg, enjoy a gastronomic take on traditional Alsatian “tartes flambées”at Flamme & Co., in a resolutely modern setting.
- Your study trip ends with a group transfer late afternoon to Colmar train station.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- The complete Wine Scholar Guild Alsace Master Level online course, including the written manual, online webinars and online exam
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 1 night at 4-star Hotel Beaucour in Strasbourg, double occupancy
- 4 nights at 4-star James Boutique Hotel in Colmar, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners, including one at a Michelin 2-star restaurant, paired with great wines
- 4 gourmet lunches with top-quality wines
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,425.00
Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 4,195.00
(Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Alsace Master-Level program**)
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available (2 single beds). Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**The Enrolled Study Price applies to those currently studying in the Alsace Master-Level program or who have completed it. Full registration in the Alsace Master-Level program means students who have previously ordered the Alsace Master-Level study manual, exam registration and online study program.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2020, you will receive a Multi-Trip Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Check out the exclusive wine tastings and prestigious Alsace producers from our past Alsace wine tours
ENJOY MEMORABLE MEALS AT GASTRONOMIC RESTAURANTS & CELLAR
Credits picture: Restaurant JY’s
Past Alsace Wine Tours Gallery
The following quiz is part of the WSG's French Wine Scholar study & certification program. Enjoy!
Estates visited on previous Alsace Wine Tours
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on passed study wine tours to Alsace.
Domaine des Maronniers
Domaine Marcel Deiss
Cave Cooperative de Ribeauvillé
Chateau de Kientzheim
Domaine Albert Mann
Domaine Leon Beyer
Domaine Mittnacht Frères
Domaine Albert Boxler
Domaine Marc Tempé
Chateau de Kientzheim
Domaine Paul Blanck
All upcoming tours:
PiedmontMay 17 - May 22, 2020
BourgogneMay 24 - May 29, 2020
AlsaceJun 07 - Jun 12, 2020
LoireJun 21 - Jun 26, 2020
ChampagneJun 23 - Jun 27, 2020
BordeauxOct 04 - Oct 09, 2020
SicilyOct 11 - Oct 16, 2020
RhôneOct 18 - Oct 23, 2020
Languedoc-RoussillonOct 25 - Oct 30, 2020