Experiencing an WSG immersion trip is the best way to complete your French wine education. Each trip is led by an internationally renowned expert and includes high-caliber wine tastings, vineyards tours, memorable meals, insider producer visits with top estates and more.
Bordeaux Wine Tours and Study Trip Highlights:
Bordeaux is the largest and most renowned fine wine-producing region in France. Its iconic reds have served as the benchmark around the world for Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blends. Excellent whites, both sweet and dry, are also produced in Bordeaux. Its sheer size has given rise to numerous sub-regions, appellations, classification systems, and “châteaux”, the famous wine estates of Bordeaux.
- Take a vineyard and wine tasting tour in Bordeaux with us and gain extensive knowledge of this vast region through the precise instruction of a world-renowned wine expert combined with insider visits and wine tastings at the very best châteaux.
- Discover the Bordeaux wine region with your instructor, Andrew Jefford, an award-winning journalist for Decanter magazine, presenter of Decanter master classes and an author of numerous books on wine including The New France.
- Travel to each of the different vineyard areas of Bordeaux, including the Médoc, the Graves and Sauternais, and the Saint-Emilion and Pomerol region. Study their respective terroirs and master their specific appellation and classification systems.
- Experience first-rate visits and tastings at Bordeaux’s most prestigious châteaux, including the great first–growths of Médoc and the Premiers Grands Crus Classés estates of Saint-Emilion.
- Explore the lesser-known, excellent value Fronsac appellation through a grouped tastings of different chateaux, organized exclusively for the group by the winemakers.
- Discover the elegant city of Bordeaux with its graceful streets, lovely waterfront walks and great wine bars. Stroll through the cobblestone streets of Saint-Emilion, a charming village surrounded by vineyards dating back to medieval times.
- Lunch and dine in the region’s best restaurants and discover exquisite local specialties matched with excellent Bordeaux wines.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or as committed wine lovers. Share a highly educational, friendly and unforgettable experience while gaining a comprehensive understanding of what makes the wines of Bordeaux so unique.
Sign up to receive advanced notice of the 2017 Bordeaux study trip!
Embark on our 2016 Bordeaux Study Trip with professional-level instruction on site coupled with a certificate program!
Your instructor & Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Award-Winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine
- Featured presenter for Decanter Education's masterclasses
- Author of twelve books on wine including The New France
He went above and beyond with a serious and significant effort to enhance the learning value of the study trip through his daily talks on the bus, his commentary on the visits, his portable reference library and his impeccable follow through on every single question that came up"
Enjoyed Andrew’s lectures and accounts which had no wasted words, precise and insightful. He is a true professional and up-to-date scholar (rare) whose precise explanation was very helpful"
Andrew Jefford was gracious, charming, knowledgeable and dedicated. I would love to do future tours with Andrew as leader."
Taste, visit, meet, explore & indulge! A sneak peek at past Bordeaux study trips
Explore renowned Terroirs and Appellations
Erica Archer, Founder of Wine Wise.
Annemarie Humm CSW, Wine Educator at Vines to Wine Academy.
Gretchen Bender, DWS, CWE
Montagna Napa Valley
Taste at classified growth Châteaux and meet iconic producers**
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants & Chateaux
Why study Bordeaux..in Bordeaux?
The wines of Bordeaux have long been a revered French wine icon. They are age-worthy, much sought after, and highly prized. Like great art, they are bought and sold as a valued commodity, in fast and furious trading, at auction, and over quiet conversation with a well-connected retailer.
Over the millennia, the vinous legacy that began with the Romans has evolved into a juggernaut of epic proportions. World-wide, winemakers aspire to emulate what Bordeaux captures in a bottle each harvest. Wine writers flock to this corner of France to taste the new vintage. Cyberspace buzzes with wine commerce once the prices are set. And all the world has but one thing on its lips…Bordeaux. The region is both a bastion and a beacon for all that is timeless, classic and truly exceptional in the world of wine.
Sign up to receive advanced notice of the 2017 Bordeaux study trip!
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
**Please note that these are examples of the caliber of maisons and producers to be visited on this trip. Actual Maisons and Producers to be visited on the 2016 trip will be added as we confirm them, and a final updated itinerary will be sent to the students several weeks before the beginning of the trip.
Chateaux visited on previous Bordeaux Wine Tours:
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past study wine tours to Bordeaux:
2nd Growth Chateau Rauzan Ségla
Grand Cru Classé Chateau Pouget with owner Lucien Guillemet
Cru Bourgeois Chateau Montbrison with owner Laurent von der Heyden
3rd Grand Cru Classé Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupéry
3rd Growth Chateau Palmer
Classified Growth Chateau d’Issan
“Super 2nd”Growth Chateau Léoville Las Cases
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Léoville Barton with owner Lilian Barton Sartorius
“Super 2nd” growth Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou
2nd Growth Chateau Gruaud Larose
2nd Growth Chateau Léoville Poyferré
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Latour
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Lafite Rothschild
“Super 2nd” Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
Biodynamic Classified Growth Chateau Pontet Canet with technical director
“Super 2nd” Chateau Cos d’Estournel in Saint-Estèphe
Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel Chateau Phélan Ségur with technical director Fabrice Bacquey
Graves / Pessac Léognan:
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Haut Brion and its cooperage
Grand Cru Classé Domaine de Chevalier with technical director Rémi Edange
Classified Growth Chateau Haut Bailly
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau d’Yquem
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau La Tour Blanche
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Suduiraut
Chateau La Fleur-Pétrus with owner Christian Moueix
Chateau Gazin with owner Nicolas de Baillencourt
Chateau Petit Village in Pomerol
Chateau La Conseillante with the winemaker
Vieux Chateau Certan with owner/winemaker Alexandre Thienpont
Chateau l’Eglise Clinet
1st Grand Cru Classé “A” Chateau Angelus
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Beauséjour Bécot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Canon
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Troplong Mondot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Figeac
1st Grand Cru Classé "B" Chateau Canon la Gaffelière in Saint Emilion
Grand Cru Chateau Lassègue with director Nicolas Seillan
Grand Cru Chateau Tertre Roteboeuf, with owner/winemaker Francois Mitjaville
Chateau Acappella. “haute couture” small producer with owner Christophe Choissy
Other areas :
Domaine de l’A in the up-and-coming appellation of Côtes de Castillon with enologist Stéphane Derenoncourt
Group tasting with the Winemakers’ Union of Fronsac and Canon Fronsac
Elite Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels Chateau Chasse Spleen
For more information: