Embark on our 2017 Bordeaux Study Trip with professional-level instruction on site coupled with a certificate program.
We have a waiting list!
Bordeaux Wine Tours and Study Trip Highlights:
Bordeaux is the largest and most renowned fine wine-producing region in France. Its iconic reds have served as the benchmark around the world for Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blends. Excellent whites, both sweet and dry, are also produced in Bordeaux. Its sheer size has given rise to numerous sub-regions, appellations, classification systems, and “châteaux”, the famous wine estates of Bordeaux.
- Take a vineyard and wine tasting tour in Bordeaux with us and gain extensive knowledge of this vast region through the precise instruction of a world-renowned wine expert combined with insider visits and wine tastings at the very best châteaux.
- Discover the Bordeaux wine region with your instructor, Gérard Basset, MW, MS, Best Sommelier in The World, 2010 and Honorary President of the WSET
- Travel to each of the different vineyard areas of Bordeaux, including the Médoc, the Graves and Sauternais, and the Saint-Emilion and Pomerol region. Study their respective terroirs and master their specific appellation and classification systems.
- Experience first-rate visits and tastings at Bordeaux’s most prestigious châteaux
- Explore the lesser-known, excellent value Fronsac appellation through a grouped tastings of different chateaux, organized exclusively for the group by the winemakers.
- Discover the elegant city of Bordeaux with its graceful streets, lovely waterfront walks and great wine bars. Stroll through the cobblestone streets of Saint-Emilion, a charming village surrounded by vineyards dating back to medieval times.
- Lunch and dine in the region’s best restaurants and discover exquisite local specialties matched with excellent Bordeaux wines.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or as committed wine lovers. Share a highly educational, friendly and unforgettable experience while gaining a comprehensive understanding of what makes the wines of Bordeaux so unique.
Your instructor & Guide: Gerard Basset
- Master Sommelier, Master of Wine and Wine MBA
- Best Sommelier in The World, 2010
- Decanter Man of the Year 2013 Award
- Honorary President of the WSET (Wine and Spirit Education Trust)
This was such a wonderful experience with Mr. Gerard Basset who is so knowledgeable yet so humble and patient with us. He always answered our questions with his best efforts and shared with us his own thoughts as well.
Gerard is humble, genuine and a wealth of knowledge. I felt privileged to be in his company. He was always very patient with our questions and never hesitated to share. He is a very inspiring person. We were very happy with Gerard and would gladly take another study tour with him. It was a pleasure and an honour to study under him."
Sandra Aw, WSET Diploma
Your Tour Manager: Sarah Graham-Beck
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Sarah Graham-Beck.
- Sarah lives in Bordeaux and has 15 years of experience in the Bordeaux wine industry. She has been manager of a top Right Bank chateau and worked for several top Bordeaux wine merchants. She now guides wine tours in the region and handles logistics for wine-related events.
THIS TRIP IS NOW SOLD OUT
We have a waiting list!
Sunday, October 1
- Participants arrive independently in Bordeaux city at 4-starBest Western Hotel Bayonne Etche-Ona, ideally located in the heart of the historic district, close to shops and restaurants.
- Enjoy dinner on your own in Bordeaux, with our suggestions.
Monday, Oct. 2 | Médoc: Margaux, Saint Julien | B, L, D
- On the way to the Médoc, instructor Gérard Basset will present a review of the terroirs and AOPs.
- Enjoy two visits and tastings at Classified Growths in Margaux, known for its elegant, “feminine” wines; for example, Chateau d’Issan, Chateau Margaux or Chateau Rauzan Ségla.
- Stop for a delicious lunch at the elegant Saint Julien restaurant.
- Visits and tastings at two Classified Growths of Saint Julien, like Chateau Léoville Poyferré or Chateau Gruaud Larose.
- Return to Bordeaux city and enjoy a gastronomic dinner at Le Quatrième Mur, Chef Philippe Etchebest’s (formerly of 2-star Hostellerie de Plaisance) great new restaurant located in the historic Grand Théâtre.
Tuesday, Oct. 3 | Médoc: Pauillac, Saint Estèphe | B, L
- Explore the top estates of Pauillac and Saint Estèphe, at Classified Growths like Pichon Longueville Baron de Pichon, Pontet Canet or Mouton Rothschild.
- Gourmet lunch at the charming Café Lavinal in Bages.
- Enjoy a free evening to discover Bordeaux city and its great restaurants on your own, with our suggestions.
Wednesday, Oct. 4 | Graves and Sauternes | B, L
- Gérard will delve into the terroir and classification system of the Graves, with a tour and tasting at a top estate of Péssac Léognan like First Growth Chateau Haut Brion, Domaine de Chevalier or Chateau Haut Bailly.
- Travel to the Sauternais and enjoy a delicious lunch at the charming Auberge des Vignes.
- Visit a renowned First Growth like Chateau d’Yquem or Chateau Suduiraut, including a walk through the vineyards and a thorough discussion of botrytis cinerea.
- The evening is yours to explore Bordeaux and its fine restaurants.
Thursday, Oct. 5 | Saint Emilion and Pomerol | B, D
- Begin your exploration of the Right Bank with a review of the terroirs and appellations of this renowned production area with Gérard.
- In Pomerol, considered the world’s finest terroir for Merlot, you’ll be welcomed at a top estate like l’Eglise Clinet, La Fleur Pétrus or Petit Village.
- You’ll have some time late morning to enjoy the beautiful village of Saint Emilion, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and explore its historic sites, boutiques, galleries and wine shops.
- Enjoy lunch on your own in Saint Emilion with our suggestions.
- Visit two famed Premier Grand Cru Classé estates like Chateau Canon or Chateau Angelus.
- Return to Bordeaux for a gastronomic farewell dinner at one of Bordeaux’s best-loved restaurants, Le Chapon Fin.
Friday, Oct. 6 | Value appellation, Saint Emilion | B, L
- Travel today to one of the “value appellations” like Canon Frosac or Côtes de Castillon, to visit and taste at a top chateau.
- Back to AOP Saint Emilion for a tour and tasting at another Premier Grand Cru Classé like Troplong Mondot or Beauséjour Bécot.
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at Chateau de Candale.
- After lunch, the group will be transferred to Bordeaux Gare St. Jean train station and then to Bordeaux Mérignac Airport.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality. As soon as we have confirmation from the estates that have accepted our visit, we will include them in the itinerary.
Hotel rooms: we are staying in a small, charming hotel on this trip. As a result, the rooms will not all be exactly the same, and they may also be in different categories. We will assign hotel rooms in the order of sign-ups for the trip. ALL rooms will be very comfortable and have the same services (en-suite bathrooms, A/C, WiFi, etc.).
Your 5 Day, 5 Night Bordeaux Immersion Study Trip includes:
- Instruction throughout by Gérard Basset, MW, MS and Best Sommelier in the World 2010.
- The complete Wine Scholar Guild Bordeaux Master Level study program package, including the written manual, access to the online modules for one year and online exam-sit. (Access to the Master-Level study program is granted 90 days prior to your departure and after your final payment is received)
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 5 nights at 4-star Best Western Bayonne Etche-Ona in the city of Bordeaux, double occupancy
- 4 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines
- 5 delicious breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and tastings at top chateaux, including First Growths and other classified growth chateaux
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
- Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,385.00
- Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 4,095.00
(Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Bordeaux Master-Level program**)
- Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
- Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
- Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available (2 single beds). Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**The Enrolled Study Price applies to those currently studying in the Bordeaux Master-Level program or who have completed it. Full registration in the Bordeaux Master-Level program means students who have previously ordered the Bordeaux Master-Level study manual, exam registration and online study program.
***After you have reserved your first study trip in 2017 you will receive a discount of US $150 for each additional study trip you take in the same calendar year. This discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional study trip. You must pay for the first study trip in full to be eligible to receive the discount for additional study trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
THIS TRIP IS NOW SOLD OUT
We have a waiting list!
For more information:
Taste, visit, meet, explore & indulge! A sneak peek at past Bordeaux study trips
Erica Archer, Founder of Wine Wise.
Annemarie Humm CSW, Wine Educator at Vines to Wine Academy.
Gretchen Bender, DWS, CWE
Montagna Napa Valley
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants & Chateaux
Why study Bordeaux..in Bordeaux?
The wines of Bordeaux have long been a revered French wine icon. They are age-worthy, much sought after, and highly prized. Like great art, they are bought and sold as a valued commodity, in fast and furious trading, at auction, and over quiet conversation with a well-connected retailer.
Over the millennia, the vinous legacy that began with the Romans has evolved into a juggernaut of epic proportions. World-wide, winemakers aspire to emulate what Bordeaux captures in a bottle each harvest. Wine writers flock to this corner of France to taste the new vintage. Cyberspace buzzes with wine commerce once the prices are set. And all the world has but one thing on its lips…Bordeaux. The region is both a bastion and a beacon for all that is timeless, classic and truly exceptional in the world of wine.
Chateaux visited on previous Bordeaux Wine Tours:
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past study wine tours to Bordeaux:
2nd Growth Chateau Rauzan Ségla
Grand Cru Classé Chateau Pouget with owner Lucien Guillemet
Cru Bourgeois Chateau Montbrison with owner Laurent von der Heyden
3rd Grand Cru Classé Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupéry
3rd Growth Chateau Palmer
Classified Growth Chateau d’Issan
“Super 2nd”Growth Chateau Léoville Las Cases
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Léoville Barton with owner Lilian Barton Sartorius
“Super 2nd” growth Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou
2nd Growth Chateau Gruaud Larose
2nd Growth Chateau Léoville Poyferré
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Latour
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Lafite Rothschild
“Super 2nd” Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
Biodynamic Classified Growth Chateau Pontet Canet with technical director
“Super 2nd” Chateau Cos d’Estournel in Saint-Estèphe
Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel Chateau Phélan Ségur with technical director Fabrice Bacquey
Graves / Pessac Léognan:
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Haut Brion and its cooperage
Grand Cru Classé Domaine de Chevalier with technical director Rémi Edange
Classified Growth Chateau Haut Bailly
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau d’Yquem
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau La Tour Blanche
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Suduiraut
Chateau La Fleur-Pétrus with owner Christian Moueix
Chateau Gazin with owner Nicolas de Baillencourt
Chateau Petit Village in Pomerol
Chateau La Conseillante with the winemaker
Vieux Chateau Certan with owner/winemaker Alexandre Thienpont
Chateau l’Eglise Clinet
1st Grand Cru Classé “A” Chateau Angelus
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Beauséjour Bécot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Canon
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Troplong Mondot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Figeac
1st Grand Cru Classé "B" Chateau Canon la Gaffelière in Saint Emilion
Grand Cru Chateau Lassègue with director Nicolas Seillan
Grand Cru Chateau Tertre Roteboeuf, with owner/winemaker Francois Mitjaville
Chateau Acappella. “haute couture” small producer with owner Christophe Choissy
Other areas :
Domaine de l’A in the up-and-coming appellation of Côtes de Castillon with enologist Stéphane Derenoncourt
Group tasting with the Winemakers’ Union of Fronsac and Canon Fronsac
Elite Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels Chateau Chasse Spleen