October 9 – October 14, 2022
Embark on our Bordeaux Study Tour!
Bordeaux is the largest and most renowned fine wine-producing region in France. Its iconic reds have served as the benchmark around the world for Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blends. Excellent whites, both sweet and dry, are also produced in Bordeaux. Its sheer size has given rise to numerous sub-regions, appellations, classification systems, and “châteaux”, the famous wine estates of Bordeaux.
The wines of Bordeaux have long been a revered French wine icon. They are age-worthy, much sought after, and highly prized. Like great art, they are bought and sold as a valued commodity, in fast and furious trading, at auction, and over quiet conversation with a well-connected retailer.
Over the millennia, the vinous legacy that began with the Romans has evolved into a juggernaut of epic proportions. World-wide, winemakers aspire to emulate what Bordeaux captures in a bottle each harvest. Wine writers flock to this corner of France to taste the new vintage. Cyberspace buzzes with wine commerce once the prices are set. And all the world has but one thing on its lips…Bordeaux. The region is both a bastion and a beacon for all that is timeless, classic and truly exceptional in the world of wine.
- Gain extensive knowledge of this vast region through the precise instruction of a world-renowned wine expert combined with insider visits and wine tastings at the very best châteaux.
- Discover the Bordeaux wine region with your instructor, Jane Anson, Bordeaux Correspondent for Decanter Magazine
- Travel to the most prestigious vineyard areas of Bordeaux, including the Médoc, the Graves and Sauternais, and the Saint-Émilion and Pomerol subregions. Study their respective terroirs and master their specific appellation and classification systems.
- Experience first-rate visits and tastings at Bordeaux’s most prestigious châteaux.
- Explore one of the lesser-known, excellent value appellations like Fronsac or Côtes de Castillon.
- Discover the elegant city of Bordeaux with its graceful streets, lovely waterfront walks and great wine bars.
- Stroll through the cobblestone streets of Saint-Émilion, a charming village surrounded by vineyards dating back to medieval times.
- Lunch and dine in the region’s best restaurants and discover exquisite local specialties matched with excellent Bordeaux wines.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while mastering the world of Bordeaux. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Based on the current COVID situation and for the safety of our students and hosts, participants will be required to provide a proof of vaccination before joining a 2022 study trip.
WSG reserves the right to modify sanitary requirements at any time and at its sole discretion. For more information, please consult the study trips Terms and Conditions.
YOUR 6 DAY BORDEAUX IMMERSION STUDY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- All professional-level tours and tastings at top chateaux, including First Growths and other classified growth chateaux
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- 5 nights at 4-star Hotel Le Burdigala in Bordeaux, double occupancy
- Welcome drink with your tour instructor and tour manager.
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- 4 gourmet lunches with top-quality wines of the region
- 2 gastronomic dinners with top-quality wines of the region, including 1 at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- The complete WSG Bordeaux Master Level online course, including study manual, online webinars and online exam
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Please fill the form below to receive the full 2022 Piedmont Study Tour itinerary, and discover the outstanding program we have prepared for you!
MEET YOUR GUIDE
Your Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Wine writer since 1988.
- Author of The New France, Whisky Island, Andrew Jefford's Wine Course.
- Academic Advisor with the Wine Scholar Guild.
- Contributing Editor and columnist for Decanter and World of Fine Wine.
- Winner of 8 Glenfiddich Awards and 8 Roederer Awards
Your Tour Manager : Mary Kirk, DipWSET
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk.
Mary has been leading wine tours in France for 15 years and has been tour manager for WSG study trips or over 5 years. She is also a DipWSET, FWS and certified French Sommelier-Conseil.
She may be a familiar face to some of you because she also takes care of WSG members as our Community and Membership Manager.
Mary also teaches wine in Paris, specifically Sommellerie at Ferrandi Gastronomic school of Paris, as well as the FWS program at the Butler Academy in Paris. Her other activities include leading wine events and consulting in the French wine sector.
Chateaux visited on previous Bordeaux Wine Tours
We would like to thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past Bordeaux wine tours:
2nd Growth Chateau Rauzan Ségla
Grand Cru Classé Chateau Pouget with owner Lucien Guillemet
Cru Bourgeois Chateau Montbrison with owner Laurent von der Heyden
3rd Grand Cru Classé Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupéry
3rd Growth Chateau Palmer
Classified Growth Chateau d’Issan
“Super 2nd”Growth Chateau Léoville Las Cases
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Léoville Barton with owner Lilian Barton Sartorius
“Super 2nd” growth Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou
2nd Growth Chateau Gruaud Larose
2nd Growth Chateau Léoville Poyferré
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Latour
1er Grand Cru Classé Chateau Lafite Rothschild
“Super 2nd” Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
“Super 2nd” Growth Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron
Biodynamic Classified Growth Chateau Pontet Canet with technical director
“Super 2nd” Chateau Cos d’Estournel in Saint-Estèphe
Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel Chateau Phélan Ségur with technical director Fabrice Bacquey
Graves / Pessac Léognan:
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Haut Brion and its cooperage
Grand Cru Classé Domaine de Chevalier with technical director Rémi Edange
Classified Growth Chateau Haut Bailly
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau d’Yquem
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau La Tour Blanche
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Suduiraut
Chateau La Fleur-Pétrus with owner Christian Moueix
Chateau Gazin with owner Nicolas de Baillencourt
Chateau Petit Village in Pomerol
Chateau La Conseillante with the winemaker
Vieux Chateau Certan with owner/winemaker Alexandre Thienpont
Chateau l’Eglise Clinet
1st Grand Cru Classé “A” Chateau Angelus
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Beauséjour Bécot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Canon
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Troplong Mondot
1st Grand Cru Classé Chateau Figeac
1st Grand Cru Classé "B" Chateau Canon la Gaffelière in Saint Emilion
Grand Cru Chateau Lassègue with director Nicolas Seillan
Grand Cru Chateau Tertre Roteboeuf, with owner/winemaker Francois Mitjaville
Chateau Acappella. “haute couture” small producer with owner Christophe Choissy
Other areas :
Domaine de l’A in the up-and-coming appellation of Côtes de Castillon with enologist Stéphane Derenoncourt
Group tasting with the Winemakers’ Union of Fronsac and Canon Fronsac
Elite Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels Chateau Chasse Spleen
CHECK OUT ALL UPCOMING WINE TOURS:
Our exceptional study trips offer intensive, professional-level, educational programming within the wines regions of France, Italy and Spain. Lead by top wine industry professionals, our itineraries take you into some of the best cellars and vineyards for hands-on learning and unparalleled tasting opportunities. What better way to connect theory with practice!
PiedmontMay 22 - May 27, 2022
CatalunyaMay 29 - Jun 03, 2022
SicilyJun 05 - Jun 10, 2022
ChampagneJun 14 - Jun 18, 2022
LoireJun 19 - Jun 24, 2022
BordeauxOct 09 - Oct 14, 2022
BourgogneOct 16 - Oct 21, 2022
RhôneOct 23 - Oct 28, 2022