Embark on our 2017 Bourgogne Wine Study Tour with professional-level instruction on site coupled with a certificate program!
The Burgundy Wine Tour and Study Trip Highlights:
Burgundy wines are some of the finest, most sought-after wines in the world. Burgundy is a legendary wine region and a reference for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines. It is also a complex wine region with its numerous appellations and shared “climats” and is not always easy to understand. Travelling to Burgundy allows you to grasp first-hand the meaning of terroir, the underlying concept which is the basis of its appellation system, and taste and savor many of these exceptional wines.
- Discover the Burgundy wine region with your instructor, Andrew Jefford, an award-winning journalist for Decanter magazine, presenter of Decanter master classes and an author of numerous books on wine including The New France.
- Tour through Burgundy and study the difference in Burgundy wine styles. Discover the approachable whites of the Mâconnais, the quality wines of the Côtes Chalonnaise, the prestigious wines of the Côtes d’Or, and the bone-dry whites of Chablis in the cooler north.
- Visit the most celebrated grand crus of Burgundy. Study the terroirs of renowned vineyard sites and master the intricacies of the appellation and multi-tiered hierarchy system that classifies Burgundy wines.
- Experience insider tastings with winemakers at top Burgundy estates. Taste different vintages and experience the depth and remarkable quality of these distinguished wines.
- Lunch and dine in the region's best restaurants and discover the fine local Burgundian cuisine paired with the excellent local wines.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, convivial and unforgettable experience while gaining a complete understanding of Burgundy wines.
Your Tour Instructor & Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Award-Winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine
- Featured presenter for Decanter Education's masterclasses
- Author of twelve books on wine including The New France
He went above and beyond with a serious and significant effort to enhance the learning value of the study trip through his daily talks on the bus, his commentary on the visits, his portable reference library and his impeccable follow through on every single question that came up"
Enjoyed Andrew’s lectures and accounts which had no wasted words, precise and insightful. He is a true professional and up-to-date scholar (rare) whose precise explanation was very helpful"
Andrew Jefford was gracious, charming, knowledgeable and dedicated. I would love to do future tours with Andrew as leader."
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk-Bonnet
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk-Bonnet, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in France for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area.
Sunday, May 28
- Participants arrive independently to Beaune and check in to the Ibis Styles Beaune Centre, ideally located in the town center.
- Evening on your own in town.
Monday, May 29 | Côte de Nuits | B, L, D
- Visit famed négociant Bouchard Père et Fils in the beautifully restored 15th century Chateau de Beaune, followed by a tasting of their fine village, Premier Cru and Grand Cru wines.
- Join Andrew for a walk in the legendary Grand Cru vineyards of Vosne Romanée (Romanée Conti, La Tache, etc.).
- After a gourmet lunch, visit two of the top estates of the Côte de Nuits, like Clos du Tart, Domaine de l’Arlot in Nuits Saint Georges or Chateau de la Tour in Vougeot, with extensive tastings.
- Welcome dinner at the elegant L’Ecusson restaurant.
Tuesday, May 30 | Chablis | B, L
- Walk in the Grand Cru vineyards with a representative of Domaine William Fèvre to see the Kimmeridgian terroir, then taste through their large range of wines.
- After lunch at the Bistrot des Grands Crus, visit another great producer like Domaine Dauvissat or Domaine Droin.
- Discuss Chablis vinification techniques at one of the best cooperatives in France, La Chablisienne, followed by a tasting of their highly-rated wines.
- Return to Beaune for an evening on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Wednesday, May 31 | Côte de Beaune | B, L
- Visit two great estates, like Domaine Jean-Noël Gagnard in Chassagne-Montrachet or Domaine François Carillon in Puligny-Montrachet.
- Enjoy a gastronomic lunch at Michelin 1-star Le Montrachet restaurant in Puligny.
- Join Andrew for a walk through the vineyards of Grand Cru Le Montrachet.
- Visit a top estate in Volnay or Pommard, like Domaine Michel Lafarge or Domaine Marquis d'Angerville.
- The evening is yours to explore Beaune and dine on your own.
Thursday, June 1 | Mâconnais & Côte Chalonnaise | B, L, D
- In Pouilly-Fuissé, the biggest communal appellation in Bourgogne, visit and taste at a top producer like Maison Verget or Chateau de Fuissé.
- Delicious lunch at Le Relais d’Ozenay.
- This afternoon, visit two great producers in the Côtes Chalonnaise, like Domaine Michel Juillot or Domaine Vincent Lumpp.
- Your farewell dinner is at the lovely Michelin 1-star restaurant Jardin des Remparts in Beaune.
Friday, June 2 | Côte de Nuits | B, L
- Back to the Côte de Nuits today, starting with a visit and tasting at an elite domaine like Clos des Lambrays or Domaine Bertagna.
- After lunch at elegant Chez Guy restaurant, enjoy a visit and tasting at another top estate, like Taupenot-Merme or Drouhin Laroze.
- Your study trip ends with a group transfer to the Gare SNCF Dijon-Ville train station.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
Your 5 Day, 5 Night Bourgogne Immersion Study Trip includes:
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- The complete Wine Scholar Guild Bourgogne Master Level online course, including the written manual, online webinars and online exam
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 5 nights at 3-star Hotel Ibis Style Beaune Centre in Beaune, double occupancy.
- NOTE: if you prefer to stay at a 4-star hotel, we can offer a discount on the Study Trip. Please contact us for details.
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines, including one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- 5 gourmet lunches with fine wines, including one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- 5 delicious breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
- Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,490.00
Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 4,195.00
- (Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Bourgogne Master-Level program**)
- Single Supplement: US$ 295.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
**The Enrolled Study Price applies to those currently studying in the Bourgogne Master-Level program or who have completed it. Full registration in the Bourgogne Master-Level program means students who have previously ordered the Bourgogne Master-Level study manual, exam registration and online study program.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2017, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 15 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information:
Check out the exclusive wine tastings and prestigious Bourgogne producers from our past Burgundy wine tours
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants & Cellar
Why study Bourgogne..in Bourgogne
There are not 140 miles of distance between Chablis and the Mâconnais, but rather 45 million years of geological history represented in soils on and around escarpments, coombs, colluviums, fault lines, and bioherms. One visit to Burgundy will make you a terroir-ist for the rest of your life.
The landscape is fractured; the vineyards fragmented by extensive multiple-ownership. Bourgogne is both complicated and complex…and seeing is believing.
Bourgogne takes the broad French concept of terroir and winnows it down to something infinitesimally exacting within the framework of AOC law. There are approximately 500 AOCs, or designated zones of wine production, in France. One hundred and one of them are in Bourgogne alone. This northeastern section of France representing a 140 miles stretch from Chablis to the Mâconnais, is responsible for 6% of French wine production, yet represents 20% of all French AOCs.
Estates visited on previous Burgundy Wine Tours
We thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past study wine tours to Burgundy:
Côte de Nuits:
Winemaker Sylvain Pitiot, author of THE reference book on the wines of Bourgogne
Domaine de l’Arlot in Nuits Saint Georges
Château de la Tour in Vougeot
Domaine Confuron Cotetidot in Vosne Romanée
Domaine Taupenot-Merme in Morey-Saint-Denis
Domaine Drouhin Laroze in Gevrey-Chambertin
Domaine Dupont Tisserandot in Gevrey Chambertin
Domaine Trapet Père & Fils in Gevrey-Chambertin
Domaine Faiveley in Nuits St. Georges
Domaine Remoriquet in Nuits Saint Georges
Domaine Olivier Guyot in Marsannay
Domaine Perrot-Minot in Chambolle-Musigny
Côte de Beaune:
Domaine Leflaive in Puligny Montrachet
Maison Lucien Lemoine in Beaune
Domaine Jean-Noël Gagnard in Chassagne-Montrachet
Domaine François Carillon in Puligny-Montrachet
Domaine Michel Lafarge in Volnay
Maison Joseph Drouhin in Beaune
Maison Bouchard Père et Fils in Beaune
Maison Louis Jadot in Beaune
Domaine Parent in Pommard
Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine in Pernand-Vergelesses
Domaine Michel Juillot in Mercurey
Domaine de Suremain in Mercurey
Cellier aux Moines in Givry
Domaine Vincent Lumpp in Givry
Paul et Marie Jacqueson in Rully
Domaine Hubert et Pamela de Villaine in Bouzeron
Domaine du Meix Foulot in Mercurey
Maison Verget in Sologny
Chateau de Fuissé in Fuissé
Domaine Thibert Père et Fils in Fuissé
Domaine de la Croix Senaillet in Saint-Véran
Domaine Jean-Paul Droin in Chablis
Domaine William Fèvre in Chablis
Domaine Vincent Dauvissat in Chablis
La Chablisienne in Chablis
Domaine Jean-François & Pierre-Louis Bersan in Saint-Bris