October 16 – October 21, 2022
Embark on our Bourgogne Study Tour!
Bourgogne wines are some of the finest, most sought-after wines in the world. Bourgogne is a legendary wine region and a reference for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines. It is also a complex wine region with its numerous appellations and shared “climats” and is not always easy to understand. Travelling to Bourgogne allows you to grasp first-hand the meaning of terroir, the underlying concept which is the basis of its appellation system, and taste and savor many of these exceptional wines.
There are not 140 miles of distance between Chablis and the Mâconnais, but rather 45 million years of geological history represented in soils on and around escarpments, coombs, colluviums, fault lines, and bioherms. One visit to Bourgogne will make you a terroir-ist for the rest of your life.
The landscape is fractured; the vineyanted by extensive multiple-ownership. Bourgogne is both complicated and complex…and seeing is believing.
Bourgogne takes the broad French concept of terroir and winnows it down to something infinitesimally exacting within the framework of AOC law. There are approximately 500 AOCs, or designated zones of wine production, in France. One hundred and one of them are in Bourgogne alone. This northeastern section of France representing a 140 miles stretch from Chablis to the Mâconnais, is responsible for 6% of French wine production, yet represents 20% of all French AOCs.
- Discover the Bourgogne wine region with your instructor, Andrew Jefford, the multi-award-winning writer for Decanter and World of Fine Wine magazines, recently appointed overall Academic Advisor for Wine Scholar Guild
- Tour through Bourgogne and study the differences in Bourgogne wine styles. Discover the prestigious wines of the Côte de Beaune and Côte de Nuits, the bone-dry whites of Chablis in the cooler north as well as quality wines of the Mâconnais and Côtes Chalonnaise.
- Visit the most celebrated grand crus of Bourgogne. Study the terroirs of renowned vineyard sites and master the intricacies of the appellation and multi-tiered hierarchy system that classifies Bourgogne wines.
- Experience insider tastings with winemakers at top Bourgogne estates. Taste different vintages and experience the depth and remarkable quality of these distinguished wines.
- Lunch and dine in the region's best restaurants and discover the fine local Burgundian cuisine paired with the excellent local wines.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while mastering the world of Bourgogne. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Based on the current COVID situation and for the safety of our students and hosts, participants will be required to provide a proof of vaccination before joining a 2022 study trip.
WSG reserves the right to modify sanitary requirements at any time and at its sole discretion. For more information, please consult the study trips Terms and Conditions.
YOUR 6 DAY BOURGOGNE IMMERSION STUDY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- All professional-level tours and tastings at top wine producers
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- 5 nights at 4-star Hotel Mercure Beaune Centre in Beaune, double occupancy.
- Welcome drink with your tour instructor and tour manager.
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- 4 gourmet lunches expertly matched with top-quality wines
- 2 gastronomic dinners, at Michelin 1-star restaurants, expertly matched with top-quality wines
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, including transfer on last day, with bottled water on-board
- The complete WSG New Bourgogne Master Level online course, including study manual, online webinars and online exam
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
MEET YOUR GUIDE
Your Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Wine writer since 1988.
- Author of The New France, Whisky Island, Andrew Jefford's Wine Course.
- Academic Advisor with the Wine Scholar Guild.
- Contributing Editor and columnist for Decanter and World of Fine Wine.
- Winner of 8 Glenfiddich Awards and 8 Roederer Awards
Your Tour Manager : Mary Kirk, DipWSET
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk.
Mary has been leading wine tours in France for 15 years and has been tour manager for WSG study trips or over 5 years. She is also a DipWSET, FWS and certified French Sommelier-Conseil.
She may be a familiar face to some of you because she also takes care of WSG members as our Community and Membership Manager.
Mary also teaches wine in Paris, specifically Sommellerie at Ferrandi Gastronomic school of Paris, as well as the FWS program at the Butler Academy in Paris. Her other activities include leading wine events and consulting in the French wine sector.
Estates visited on previous Bourgogne Wine Tours
We would like to thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past Bourgogne wine tours:
Côte de Nuits:
Winemaker Sylvain Pitiot, author of THE reference book on the wines of Bourgogne
Domaine de l’Arlot in Nuits Saint Georges
Château de la Tour in Vougeot
Domaine Confuron Cotetidot in Vosne Romanée
Domaine Taupenot-Merme in Morey-Saint-Denis
Domaine Drouhin Laroze in Gevrey-Chambertin
Domaine Dupont Tisserandot in Gevrey Chambertin
Domaine Trapet Père & Fils in Gevrey-Chambertin
Domaine Faiveley in Nuits St. Georges
Domaine Remoriquet in Nuits Saint Georges
Domaine Olivier Guyot in Marsannay
Domaine Perrot-Minot in Chambolle-Musigny
Côte de Beaune:
Domaine Leflaive in Puligny Montrachet
Maison Lucien Lemoine in Beaune
Domaine Jean-Noël Gagnard in Chassagne-Montrachet
Domaine François Carillon in Puligny-Montrachet
Domaine Michel Lafarge in Volnay
Maison Joseph Drouhin in Beaune
Maison Bouchard Père et Fils in Beaune
Maison Louis Jadot in Beaune
Domaine Parent in Pommard
Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine in Pernand-Vergelesses
Domaine Michel Juillot in Mercurey
Domaine de Suremain in Mercurey
Cellier aux Moines in Givry
Domaine Vincent Lumpp in Givry
Paul et Marie Jacqueson in Rully
Domaine Hubert et Pamela de Villaine in Bouzeron
Domaine du Meix Foulot in Mercurey
Maison Verget in Sologny
Chateau de Fuissé in Fuissé
Domaine Thibert Père et Fils in Fuissé
Domaine de la Croix Senaillet in Saint-Véran
Domaine Jean-Paul Droin in Chablis
Domaine William Fèvre in Chablis
Domaine Vincent Dauvissat in Chablis
La Chablisienne in Chablis
Domaine Jean-François & Pierre-Louis Bersan in Saint-Bris
CHECK OUT ALL UPCOMING WINE TOURS:
Our exceptional study trips offer intensive, professional-level, educational programming within the wines regions of France, Italy and Spain. Lead by top wine industry professionals, our itineraries take you into some of the best cellars and vineyards for hands-on learning and unparalleled tasting opportunities. What better way to connect theory with practice!
PiedmontMay 22 - May 27, 2022
CatalunyaMay 29 - Jun 03, 2022
SicilyJun 05 - Jun 10, 2022
ChampagneJun 14 - Jun 18, 2022
LoireJun 19 - Jun 24, 2022
BordeauxOct 09 - Oct 14, 2022
BourgogneOct 16 - Oct 21, 2022
RhôneOct 23 - Oct 28, 2022