Champagne Wine Study Tour with Essi Avellan MW
June 20 – June 24, 2023
YOUR 4 DAY CHAMPAGNE IMMERSION STUDY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Instruction throughout by Essi Avellan, Master of Wine specialized in Champagne
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- 4 nights at 4-star Hotel de la Paix in the center of Reims, double occupancy
- 4 buffet breakfasts
- 4 gourmet lunches with top-quality wines
- 2 gastronomic dinners with very special wines and Champagnes, with one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- The complete WSG Champagne Master Level online course, including study manual, online webinars and online exam
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
MEET YOUR GUIDES
Your Guide: Essi Avellan, MW
- Co-author of “Christie’s World Encyclopedia of Champagne & Sparkling Wines”
- Master of Wine specialized in Champagne
- Judge at the Champagne and Sparkling Wine World Championships
- Author of “Essi Avellan’s Champagne” and co-author of “Christie’s World Encyclopedia of Champagne & Sparkling Wines”
- Organizer of the Grand Champagne Helsinki event
Your Tour Manager : Mary Kirk, DipWSET
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk.
Mary has been leading wine tours in France for 15 years and has been tour manager for WSG study trips or over 5 years. She is also a DipWSET, FWS and certified French Sommelier-Conseil.
She may be a familiar face to some of you because she also takes care of WSG members as our Community and Membership Manager.
Mary also teaches wine in Paris, specifically Sommellerie at Ferrandi Gastronomic school of Paris, as well as the FWS program at the Butler Academy in Paris. Her other activities include leading wine events and consulting in the French wine sector.
8 reasons to join us in Champagne
- Discover the Champagne region with your instructor, Essi Avellan MW, world-renowned Champagne specialist and wine author.
- Tour the different sub-regions of Champagne to get a complete and in-depth view of the appellation. Visit the Montagne de Reims, the Côte des Blancs, the Vallée de la Marne and the Aube vineyards.
- Learn directly from the cellar masters of some of the most prestigious Champagne houses as you visit and taste with them.
- Visit and experience the best Champagne tasting with top grower-producers, located in Grand Cru and prestigious Champagne producing villages.
- Experience tasting base wines of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay or Meunier and gain a deeper understanding of the importance and art of blending.
- Dine in the region's best restaurants, to enjoy special Champagnes paired with the local gastronomy.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while mastering the world of Champagne. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Estates visited on previous Bordeaux Wine Tours
The list below is a sample of estates we visited in the past. We would like to thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past Champagne wine tours:
Maison Ruinart in Reims and cellar master Frédéric Panaïotis
Maison Krug in Reims and cellar master Eric Lebel
Champagne Louis Roederer in Reims and cellar master Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon
Champagne Pierre Paillard in Bouzy
Maison Bollinger in Aÿ and cellar master Gilles Descôtes
Champagne Tarlant in Œuilly
Champagne Dom Perignon in Hautvillers and cellar master Richard Geoffroy
Champagnes Pierre Gimonnet et Fils
Champagnes Eric Rodez
Champagnes Jean-Louis Vergnon
Champagnes De Saint Gall
Champagnes Leclerc Briant
Champagne Eric Rodez in Ambonnay
Champagne Drappier in Urville (Aube)
Champagne Veuve Deveaux in Bar-sur-Seine
Champagne Jacques Lassaigne in Montgueux
Champagne Gosset in Épernay
Champagne Lancelot-Pienne in Cramant
Champagnes de Venoge
Chateau de Bligny
Champagnes Vilmart & Cie
The Magic of Champagne
Champagne…the name conjures up visions of a prestigious and celebratory drink. It is a sparkling wine of sophistication, yet also one of interesting styles and nuances. Non-vintage, vintage, zero-dosage, brut, blanc de blanc or rosé champagne are a few of the different styles of champagne. The art of blending, a distinctive terroir and a winemaker's vision are only some of the variables that give rise to a wide range of champagne styles.
Travel with us to the Champagne region to unlock the secrets of this world famous bubbly and experience first-hand what makes this region and its sparkling wine so special
CHECK OUT ALL UPCOMING WINE TOURS:
Our exceptional study trips offer intensive, professional-level, educational programming within the wines regions of France, Italy and Spain. Lead by top wine industry professionals, our itineraries take you into some of the best cellars and vineyards for hands-on learning and unparalleled tasting opportunities. What better way to connect theory with practice!
SWS Intensive in MalagaApr 16 - Apr 21, 2023
PiedmontMay 07 - May 12, 2023
RiojaMay 14 - May 19, 2023
TuscanyMay 21 - May 26, 2023
Languedoc-RoussillonMay 21 - May 26, 2023
Rhône ValleyJun 11 - Jun 16, 2023
ChampagneJun 20 - Jun 24, 2023
Loire ValleyJun 25 - Jun 30, 2023
BourgogneOct 08 - Oct 13, 2023
AlsaceOct 15 - Oct 20, 2023
BordeauxOct 22 - Oct 27, 2023
SicilyOct 22 - Oct 27, 2023
CatalunyaTo Be Announced