Wine tours to Loire are rare… and a study trip like we are offering this next fall is simply unique and won’t be repeated any time soon!
Wine Study Tour Highlights
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to travel through all the key appellations of this authentic wine region of France with a true expert and fabulous instructor!
By nature and nurture the Loire is an aristocratic place. Even the wines manifest this inherent equilibrium of structure and precision and grace. Over 300 castles and/or châteaux, plus gardens, vineyards and broad expanses of cropland, flank the Loire River. It is because of this exquisitely pastoral yet cultured landscape that the region is known as “Le Jardin de la France”, France’s Garden. It is the home of some of the most delicious, delectable, enjoyable French wines.
- Enjoy guidance and instruction from Loire Valley native and Master Sommelier Pascaline Lepeltier
- Travel to most of the region’s wine appellations including: Sancerre, Pouilly-Fumé, Vouvray, Chinon, Saumur-Champigny, Savennières
- Taste rare and distinctive wines including racy whites, refreshing rosés, reds that favor fruit over force, and sumptuous sweet and sparkling wines made from the versatile grape Chenin Blanc
- Visit Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé, the most famous ambassadors for crafting Sauvignon Blanc in the world.
- Get access to some of the most prestigious and sought-after small wine producers
- Enjoy the gorgeous scenery of the Loire river, castles and world famous cathedrals
- Indulge in the renowned, authentic cuisine of the Loire…cave-cultivated button mushrooms, juicy white Sologne asparagus, goat cheeses, black truffles, saffron, artichokes and all manner of tree and berry fruits.
Become one of the few to understand and master the wines of this authentic part of France!
Travel with like-minded, committed students of wine, whether serious wine hobbyists or wine professionals, and share with us an unforgettable educational, epicurean and enlightening experience!
Your instructor & Guide: Pascaline Lepeltier, Master Sommelier
- Loire Valley native
- Master Sommelier and Beverage Director of Rouge Tomate restaurant in New York City
- Highly qualified and experienced speaker and presenter
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk-Bonnet
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk-Bonnet, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in the Loire Valley for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area.
Sunday, October 22
- Participants arrive independently in Tours and check into the lovely 4-star Château Belmont.
- Evening on your own to discover Tours and its great restaurants with our suggestions (including the hotel’s fine restaurant).
- NOTE: you may want to arrive early in Tours and visit some of the great royal Châteaux of the Loire like Chenonceau, Chaumont or Chambord.
Monday, October 23 | Sancerre, Pouilly-Fumé, Menetou Salon | B, L, D
- Meet your instructor, Master Sommelier and Loire native Pascaline Lepeltier, and begin your explorations in the Centre subregion.
- Visit the emblematic appellation of this area, Sancerre, at a top producer like Domaine Vacheron, Domaine Pinard, Lucien Crochet or Vincent Cota.
- After a gourmet lunch, visit two of the top producers of Pouilly-Fumé and Menetou Salon, like Philippe Gilbert or Domaine Pabiot.
- Your welcome dinner is at the hotel’s highly-rated restaurant, La Table du Château Belmont.
Tuesday, October 24 | Touraine, Vouvray, Montlouis | B, L
- The Touraine is home to many of the most famous historic Châteaux in France, and you’ll see several along the Loire River during your travels today.
- In the Touraine appellation, visit great producers like Thierry Puzelat or Domaine de la Grange Tiphaine.
- Enjoy a gourmet lunch at one of the area’s best restaurants.
- Move on to AOP Vouvray where you’ll have a visit and extensive tasting at a top estate like Clos Naudin, Domaine Vincent Careme or Domaine Huet.
- Discover the fine sweet wines of Montlouis with a visit to Domaine de la Taille aux Loups or Domaine François Chidaine.
- Return to Tours for an evening on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Wednesday, October 25 | Chinon, Bourgueil, Saumur-Champigny | B, L
- Today’s visits concentrate on Cabernet Franc-based wines, beginning in Chinon with great winemakers like Bernard Baudry, Olga Raffault or Charles Joguet.
- You’ll taste a variety of full-bodied, long-ageing Bourgueil wines at a top producer like Domaine Breton, Domaine de la Chevalerie or Yannick Amirault.
- Your lunch is at Fontevraud-Restaurant, in the heart of the renowned Royal Abbey of Fontevraud.
- Visit a highly-rated estate in Saumur-Champigny, like Domaine Guiberteau, La Porte Saint-Jean/Sylvain Dittière, Domaine Filliatreau or Château de Fosse-Sèche.
- Check in to 4-star Hotel d’Anjou in the historic center of Angers. The evening is yours to explore Angers and dine on your own with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Thursday, October 26 | Anjou, Côteaux de Layon, Bonnezeaux, Savennières | B, L, D
- Explore the fine red, white and rosé wines of AOP Anjou and Anjou Villages, as well as the vins moelleux et liquoreux like AOP Côteaux de Layon,at two highly-rated producers like Domaine Patrick Baudouin, Domaine de Juchepie, Domaine Mosse and Domaine Delesvaux.
- Enjoy a gourmet lunch at Le Petit Manoir in St. Melaine sur Aubance.
- This afternoon, discover the minerality and ageability of great Savennière wines at one of its best producers, like La Coulée de Serrant or Domaine du Closel.
- Your farewell dinner is at the lovely Michelin 1-star restaurant Une Ile in Angers, paired with great Loire wines.
Friday, October 27 | Muscadet | B, L
- Visit two fine producers in the maritime vineyards of Muscadet, like Domaine de l’Écu, Domaine Pierre Luneau-Papin or Domaine de la Louvetrie.
- Lunch at La Bonne Auberge, where your gourmet meal will match perfectly with the best Muscadet wines.
- Late afternoon group transfer to the Gare SNCF Nord train station in Nantes. You may wish to extend your stay to visit Nantes, a beautiful city with many cultural sites of interest.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
Your 5 Day, 5 Night Loire Immersion Study Trip includes:
- Instruction throughout by Master Sommelier and Loire native Pascaline Lepeltier
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 3 nights at 4-star Hotel Château Belmont in Tours, double occupancy
- 2 nights at 4-star Hotel d’Anjou in Angers, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines, including one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- 5 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 5 delicious breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,245.00
Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 3,995.00
(Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Loire Master-Level program**)
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!**
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2017, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information: