Wine Study Tour Highlights
By nature and nurture the Loire is an aristocratic place. Even the wines manifest this inherent equilibrium of structure and precision and grace. Over 300 castles and/or châteaux, plus gardens, vineyards and broad expanses of cropland, flank the Loire River. It is because of this exquisitely pastoral yet cultured landscape that the region is known as “Le Jardin de la France”, France’s Garden. It is the home of some of the most delicious, delectable, enjoyable French wines.
- Enjoy guidance and instruction from Loire Valley native and Master Sommelier Pascaline Lepeltier
- Travel to most of the region’s wine appellations including: Sancerre, Vouvray, Chinon, Saumur-Champigny, Savennières
- Taste rare and distinctive wines including racy whites, refreshing rosés, reds that favor fruit over force, and sumptuous sweet and sparkling wines made from the versatile grape Chenin Blanc
- Visit Sancerre, the most famous ambassador for crafting Sauvignon Blanc in the world.
- Get access to some of the most prestigious and sought-after small wine producers
- Enjoy the gorgeous scenery of the Loire river, including world-famous castles and cathedrals
- Indulge in the renowned, authentic cuisine of the Loire…cave-cultivated button mushrooms, goat cheeses, black truffles, saffron, artichokes and all manner of tree and berry fruits.
THIS TRIP IS NOW SOLD OUT
GET ON THE WAITLIST:
Your Instructor & Guide:
Pascaline Lepeltier MS, MOF Sommelier Lauréate,
2018 Best French Sommelier
- Loire Valley native
- Master Sommelier and Meilleur Ouvrier de France (MOF) Sommelier Lauréate
- Highly qualified and experienced speaker and presenter
- Managing Partner, Racines NY and Former Beverage Director, Rouge Tomate, New York, NY
There aren’t enough superlatives to describe Pascaline Lepeltier. She is a true force of nature! I have never met anyone with her combination of a near-photographic memory for wines and wine knowledge, world-class wine and food pairing ability, deep personal relationships with the vignerons we visited, passion for the wine regions we visited, generosity in answering all our questions, humility, and a wonderful sense of humor. Pascaline is an absolute treasure and this world is a better place because of her."
Pascaline is terrific. I have never met ANYONE who knows more about every single aspect of wine that does she! She answers all questions thoroughly and without any hint of condescension. I loved spending the week with her!"
For me personally, the trip was incroyable! The selection and variety of estates, the deep dive into terroir, the wines we had the opportunity to taste, the education we received was all first rate.[...] It is impossible not to love Pascaline. She has such boundless enthusiasm and energy. She has such incredible knowledge of this region that she is eager to share."
Your Tour Manager: Mary Kirk
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk, Sommelière-Conseil. Mary has been leading wine tours in the Loire Valley for over 10 years, and teaches wine in the Paris area.
Sunday, June 23
- Participants arrive independently to Tours and check in to the lovely 4-star Clarion Hotel Chateau Belmont.
- Enjoy an evening on your own to discover the beautiful city of Tours and its great restaurants with our suggestions (including the hotel’s fine restaurant).
- NOTE: you may want to arrive early in Tours and visit some of the great royal Châteaux of the Loire like Chenonceau, Chaumont or Chambord.
Monday, June 24 | Sancerre | B, L, D
- Meet your instructor, Master Sommelier and Loire native Pascaline Lepeltier, and travel to the Centre subregion.
- As you travel, Pascaline will give you an overview of the Centre subregion and its wines.
- Visit the emblematic appellation of this area, Sancerre, at a top producer like Domaine Vincent Pinard, Domaine Prieur or Domaine Vacheron.
- Enjoy lunch at gourmet restaurant Memento in the nearby village of Bue.
- In the village of Chavignol, visit and taste at Domaine Gerard Boulay where you’ll also have a beautiful view of the local vineyards.
- Round out the afternoon at biodynamic producer Domaine Vincent Gaudry.
- Travel back to your hotel and enjoy a delicious welcome dinner paired with great Loire wines at Chateau Belmont’s fine restaurant.
Tuesday, June 25 | Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire, Vouvray | B
- The Touraine is home to many of the most famous historic châteaux in France, and you’ll see several along the Loire River during your travels today.
- Visit one of the star producers of Touraine & Montlouis-sur-Loire like Domaine de la Grange Tiphaine, Francois Chidaine or Lise & Bertrand Jousset.
- Lunch is on your own to explore the wine bars and restaurants in the beautiful, medieval town of Amboise.
- Enjoy a stellar afternoon with two of the top estates of Vouvray, Domaine Vincent Careme and Domaine Huet.
- Return to Tours for dinner on your own with our suggestions for great restaurants.
Wednesday, June 26 | Chinon, Bourgueil, Saumur-Champigny | B, L
- Today’s visits concentrate on Cabernet Franc-based wines, beginning in Chinon with a great winemaker like Bernard Baudry, Olga Raffault or Charles Joguet.
- You’ll taste a variety of full-bodied, long-ageing Bourgueil wines at a top producer like Domaine Breton or Domaine de la Chevalerie.
- Enjoy lunch at great wine-bar La Cabane à Vin in Chinon.
- Visit a highly-rated estate in Saumur-Champigny, like Domaine Guiberteau or Château de Fosse-Sèche.
- Check in to the historic 4-star Hotel d’Anjou in Angers and enjoy dinner on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Thursday, June 27 | Anjou, Côteaux de Layon, Bonnezeaux, Savennières | B, L, D
- In the morning, discover the minerality and ageability of great Savennières wines at two of its best producers, like La Coulée de Serrant, Domaine aux Moines or Domaine du Closel.
- Enjoy a gourmet bistrot lunch at Le Chenin in the village of Savennières.
- In the afternoon, discover the fine red, white and rosé wines of AOP Anjou and Anjou Villages, as well as the vins moelleux et liquoreux of AOPs like Côteaux de Layon, Bonnezeaux, Quart de Chaume or Côteaux d’Aubance, at two highly-rated producers like Domaine Patrick Baudouin, Domaine les Grandes Vignes, Domaine Mosse or Domaine Delesvaux.
- Your farewell dinner is at the lovely Michelin 1-star restaurant Une Ile in Angers, paired with great Loire wines.
Friday, June 28 | Muscadet | B, L
- Travel west to the Atlantic coast and visit two fine producers in the maritime vineyards of Muscadet like Domaine de l’Écu, Domaine de la Pepière or Domaine de la Louvetrie.
- Lunch is at gourmet restaurant Auberge La Gallotière.
- Your study trip ends after lunch with a group transfer to the Gare SNCF in Nantes.
- You may wish to extend your stay to visit Nantes, a beautiful city with many cultural sites of interest.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/ winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
- Instruction throughout by Master Sommelier and Loire native Pascaline Lepeltier
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 3 nights at 4-star Hotel Château Belmont in Tours, double occupancy
- 2 nights at 4-star Hotel D'Anjou in Angers, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines, including one at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- 4 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 5 delicious buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,495.00
Enrolled Student Price per person, double occupancy: US $ 4,195.00
(Enrolled Student Price is for registrants already fully or partially enrolled in the Loire Master-Level program**)
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**The Enrolled Study Price applies to those currently studying in the Loire Master-Level program or who have completed it. Full registration in the Loire Master-Level program means students who have previously ordered the Loire Master-Level study manual, exam registration and online study course. Partially enrolled: Terroir Wine Services charge the participant the enrolled price and the WSG bill the participant for the portion of the missing Master-Level items at a 50% discount on prices listed on the WSG website. Manual lost or updated version of the manual needed? Participants may order a replacement or an updated version at a discounted rate: inquire the WSG.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2019, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
THIS TRIP IS NOW SOLD OUT
GET ON THE WAITLIST:
For more information:
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants and stays in 4-star hotels
Learn about Loire wines!
Loire Wine Quiz: Test Yourself!
The following quiz is part of the WSG's French Wine Scholar study & certification program. Enjoy!