October 23 – October 28, 2022
Embark on our Rhône Study Tour!
Traveling to the Rhone Valley is rather like touring two regions for the price of one! The narrow, cooler slopes of the Northern Rhone with its famous Hermitage and Côte Rôtie appellations produce some of the most sublime Syrah wines in the world, while the vaster and warmer Southern Rhone offers up the great Grenache blends of Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine and other rich wine appellations.
The Rhône is France’s second largest producer of AOC wines (after Bordeaux). Its viticultural history dates back to the Romans who sculpted its terraced topography and introduced the vine.
The river itself links to the Rhine, Seine and Loire through a network of canals and waterways effectively connecting the Mediterranean with the rest of northern Europe. As a principal trade route, this region has long been the cultural nexus between Burgundy and the colder climes to the north and Provence and the warmer regions to the south. Come feel the wind and sun!
In the Rhône, a continental climate meets up with a Mediterranean one and this collision of north and south finds manifest expression in the local food culture. Lyon is the culinary heart of France. Here the cuisine au beurre (butter) mixes with the cuisine à l’huile (olive oil). There are more Michelin-starred restaurants in this French city than in any other (outside of Paris)! Taste what people are talking about!
It is in the Rhône where east also meets west. The granite and schist of the Massif Central (west) collide with the sedimentary soils of the Alps and its foothills (east). Touch it!
The wines of this region are as powerful as the geology, topography and cultural history that has shaped it. The wines themselves are living legacies. There is no place like Rhône.
- Discover this remarkable Rhone wine region with your instructor Andrew Jefford, the multi-award-winning writer for Decanter and World of Fine Wine magazines, recently appointed overall Academic Advisor for Wine Scholar Guild
- Visit the most renowned estates of the Northern and Southern Rhone. Tour the stunning vineyard sites with winegrowers for a detailed and precise study of the unique terroirs of appellations such as Condrieu, Côte Rôtie, Hermitage or Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
- Meet the winemakers and enjoy extensive insider tastings of some of the best Rhone wines. Experience the depth and exceptional quality of these seductive yet not always well-known Syrah, Viognier or Grenache-based wines.
- Lunch and dine in the region's best restaurants and enjoy tasting Rhone wines in a gastronomic setting, perfectly paired with creative local cuisine.
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either as wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while mastering the world of Rhône Valley. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Based on the current COVID situation and for the safety of our students and hosts, participants will be required to provide a proof of vaccination before joining a 2022 study trip.
WSG reserves the right to modify sanitary requirements at any time and at its sole discretion. For more information, please consult the study trips Terms and Conditions.
YOUR 6 DAY RHÔNE IMMERSION STUDY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Instruction throughout by renowned Decanter columnist and wine educator Andrew Jefford
- All professional-level tours and tastings at top-quality wine producers
- Services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- 1 night at 4-Star Hotel Mercure Lyon Centre – Gare Part Dieu in Lyon, double occupancy
- 2 nights at 4-Star Fac & Spera Hotel & Spa in Tain l’Hermitage, double occupancy
- 2 nights at 4-Star Hotel Europe in Avignon, double occupancy
- Welcome drink with your tour instructor and tour manager.
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- 3 gourmet lunches with fine local wines
- Special grouped tasting and gourmet lunch with winemakers of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and Tavel
- 2 gastronomic dinners, expertly matched with top-quality wines of the region
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
MEET YOUR GUIDE
Your Guide: Andrew Jefford
- Wine writer since 1988.
- Author of The New France, Whisky Island, Andrew Jefford's Wine Course.
- Academic Advisor with the Wine Scholar Guild.
- Contributing Editor and columnist for Decanter and World of Fine Wine.
- Winner of 8 Glenfiddich Awards and 8 Roederer Awards
Your Tour Manager : Mary Kirk, DipWSET
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mary Kirk.
Mary has been leading wine tours in France for 15 years and has been tour manager for WSG study trips or over 5 years. She is also a DipWSET, FWS and certified French Sommelier-Conseil.
She may be a familiar face to some of you because she also takes care of WSG members as our Community and Membership Manager.
Mary also teaches wine in Paris, specifically Sommellerie at Ferrandi Gastronomic school of Paris, as well as the FWS program at the Butler Academy in Paris. Her other activities include leading wine events and consulting in the French wine sector.
Estates visited on previous Rhône Wine Tours
We would like to thank the following estates and individuals for having welcomed us and our students on past Rhône wine tours:
Northern Rhône based:
Maison E. Guigal
Domaine Yves Cuilleron
Maison Jean-Luc Columbo
Domaine Georges Vernay
Domaine Alain Graillot
Maison Delas Frères
Maison Michel Chapoutier
Domaine les Hauts Chassis
Chateau de Beaucastel
Domaine Bosquet des Papes
Domaine de la Janasse
Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe
Domaine Raymond Usseglio
Southern Rhône based:
Domaine La Croix de la Mûre
Chateau de Saint Cosme
Domaine de Cabasse
Domaine le Sang des Cailloux
Domaine de la Mordorée
Domaine de la Citadelle
Domaine de la Reméjeanne
Philippe Cambie (Œnologue)
Georges Truc (Geologue)
CHECK OUT ALL UPCOMING WINE TOURS:
Our exceptional study trips offer intensive, professional-level, educational programming within the wines regions of France, Italy and Spain. Lead by top wine industry professionals, our itineraries take you into some of the best cellars and vineyards for hands-on learning and unparalleled tasting opportunities. What better way to connect theory with practice!
PiedmontMay 22 - May 27, 2022
CatalunyaMay 29 - Jun 03, 2022
SicilyJun 05 - Jun 10, 2022
ChampagneJun 14 - Jun 18, 2022
LoireJun 19 - Jun 24, 2022
BordeauxOct 09 - Oct 14, 2022
BourgogneOct 16 - Oct 21, 2022
RhôneOct 23 - Oct 28, 2022