Embark on the most advanced and comprehensive specialization Italian wine course bar none!
The Italian Wine Scholar™ education program is an Italian wine course designed to provide committed students of wine with the most advanced and comprehensive specialization study program on Italian wine bar none!
It was created by native Italian, Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia.
The Italian Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program.
Like the French Wine Scholar program, the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program also confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exams (Ex: John Smith, IWS).
The Italian Wine Scholar course is composed of two separate units:
- Unit 1: The Wines of Northern Italy
- Unit 2: The Wines of Central & Southern Italy
STUDY WHEN YOU WANT, AT YOUR OWN PACE, AT HOME, AT THE OFFICE OR WHILE TRAVELING
Earn the Italian Wine Scholar™ (IWS) post-nominal online via the independent study format or enroll in the 14-week instructor-led format with live webinars.
The online learning format includes for each unit:
- A comprehensive study manual
- Online study modules
- The Italian Wine Scholar™ online exam
- A suggested schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps of all Italian wine regions
- Pronunciation exercises to boosts your credibility
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group hosted by students enrolled in the online program
PLUS: 7 live review webinars with acclaimed wine educators Nancy Reynolds, DIPWSET, FWS and Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS, CSW for those following the program in its 14-week, instructor-led live online format.
Pricing for the online study formats:
NOW AVAILABLE AROUND THE GLOBE
The Italian Wine Scholar™ program is offered by the Wine Scholar Guild's approved program provider network which now includes 50 wine schools in 20 countries and five continents.
Each unit of the Italian Wine Scholar™ program is offered as a series of 4 to 8 wine classes with tutored tasting.
Included in the registration with an approved program provider, is the complete study package (study manual, online program and in-class exam sit)
Register now with your local wine school!
MAKING SPECIALIZATION IN ITALIAN WINE ACHIEVABLE
While the sheer volume of information necessary to master Italian wine is extraordinary, we have broken down our course material and Italian wine regions into two manageable chunks:
UNIT 1: WINES OF NORTHERN ITALY
• Alto Adige
• Friuli-Venezia Giulia
UNIT 2: WINES OF CENTRAL & SOUTHERN ITALY
• Umbria, Abruzzo & Molise
• Puglia & Basilicata
There will be two separate study manuals and two separate exams. The Italian Wine Scholar™ credential/pin is based on the final composite score (Unit 1&2).
This format makes it much easier to retain information and to pass the exam.
Students register for each unit separately. We highly recommend that students complete one unit before moving on to the next. The units can be taken in any order.
FAQS: Why is advanced Italian Wine Study so complex?
Jeannie Cho Lee MW, first Asian Master of Wine, award-winning author, wine critic and educator, Contributing Editor for Decanter
EMPOWERING STUDENTS TO SUCCEED
Modeled after the French Wine Scholar™ program, Italian Wine Scholar™ students will receive the same complete set of study materials… times two (one set for each Italian Unit)!
STUDY MATERIALS FOR EACH UNIT INCLUDES:
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
PLUS: Access to live and recorded review webinars with Maurizio Broggi, Education Director for Italy
This extensive list of study resources will empower students to learn and gain a profound working knowledge of the complex and diverse world of Italian wine.
Peter Marks, Master of Wine, Vice President of Education at Constellation Academy of Wine
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE & CURRENT COVERAGE OF ITALY AVAILABLE
The Italian Wine Scholar manuals follow a regional approach with strong tie-ins to terroir.
Each chapter is designed for maximum content retention and utilizes a systematic approach, allowing the student to compare and contrast each of the Italian wine regions.
Manuals are current and discuss the most recent trends. They are printed in full-color, are rich in imagery and peppered with the iconic wine labels of each region.
Every Italian wine DOC/G is discussed (vs. just mentioned) and triaged by need-to-know icons. Emphasis is given to the flavor and structure profiles of DOC/G wines
+A FOUNDATION UNIT:
A Foundation Unit provides an overview which pulls all of Italy and its wines into perspective.
CERTIFICATION EXAM & POST-NOMINAL
SET YOURSELF APART FROM YOUR PEERS. SPECIALIZE IN THE WINES OF ITALY!
Individuals who follow this in-depth Italian wine education program and pass the exam, earn the Italian Wine Scholar post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, IWS).
The exam for each unit is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions. Candidates need a composite score of 75% to receive the credential, i.e. the scores from both exams are added together and averaged for final assessment.
Students with a composite score of 85-90.5 pass with HONORS. Candidates scoring 91-100 pass with HIGHEST HONORS.
LEARN MORE: About the exam
Gregory Doody, Executive VP and COO at Vineyard Brands
DESIGNED FOR THE COMMITTED STUDENT OF WINE
PASSPORT TO MASTERING THE WINES OF ITALY
The program is designed to provide committed students of wine with all the tools necessary to successfully master the wines of Italy at a professional level.
IWS candidates are both members of the wine trade and serious wine hobbyists seeking specialization and certification.
- How does this program complement other, more general wine study programs?
- Are there any pre-requisites to enter this program?
Ciro Pirone, Director Italian Wines for Horizon Beverage Group (Boston, USA)
Why study Italian wine with us?
- The IWS study manual has already received many words of praise by wine professionals including Nicolas Belfrage MW, Ciro Pirone, Jeannie Cho Lee MW, Craig Locascio, Paul Wagner, Peter Marks MW. See the full list of kudos HERE.
- Maurizio Broggi, DWS and creator of the Italian Wine Scholar program, brought his academic acumen to the Wine Scholar Guild to build the IWS program. He achieved the highest score in the world for WSET level 2 and was also one of the top scorers for Diploma level.
- Wine Scholar Guild (WSG) study programs have been taught internationally to over 10,000 of students of wine!
- WSG student evaluations have been very positive; students love learning with our innovative and multi-faceted educational tools.
- In the 10 years since its inception, the Wine Scholar Guild has become the world leader in specialization programs on the wines of France. We aim to do the same for Italy!
The Italian Wine Scholar program is a great resource and supplement for students of wine moving toward advanced general wine study programs such as WSET Diploma (level 4), Master of Wine, Court of Master Sommeliers’ Advanced Sommelier (level 3 and up) or Society of Wine Educator’s Certified Wine Educator (CWE).
Many of these programs ask their students to do extensive independent research in order to study for their exam. To this end, the Italian Wine Scholar program serves as an advanced and comprehensive study supplement to help them master the complex wines of Italy.
While not a pre-requisite, we recommend that students have successfully completed, at a minimum, one of the following programs before enrolling in the Italian Wine Scholar program: WSET level 2, Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) or Court of Master Sommelier’s Introductory Sommelier Certificate (Level 1).
Although an Old World country, Italy is younger than the United States. Unification of the Italian peninsula occurred in 1861. In the centuries prior to Italian unification, Italy was divided into a plethora of small kingdoms and city-states. Each of these political entities shaped the history, people and culture of their region; for this reason, studying Italy is akin to studying the wine production of 20 different countries--each one with its own grapes, wines, food and traditions.
The manuals structure the study of each of Italy’s 20 distinct wine regions in the following manner:
- History, culture and traditions
- Location and climate with their effects on viticulture and wines
- Topography, geography and soils
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All DOCs and DOCGs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
Why invest in certification?
The era of self-professed wine experts is long over. Professionals need credentials.
Certification is resume-building, validates competency and serves as a point of distinction midst trade and peers alike.
Questions about the exam?
Sign up to receive updates about the launch of our Italian wine program: