Embark on our 2018 Piedmont Study Tour with on site professional-level instruction
Piedmont Wine Study Tour Highlights
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to travel through all the key appellations of this authentic wine region of Italy with a notable expert and fabulous instructor!
The stunning wines of Piedmont are among the best in the world. The noble Nebbiolo grape achieves a level of greatness in the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco that cannot be matched in any other wine region. Lesser-known wine treasures such as Barbara, Dolcetto and Arneis are the everyday gems of industry insiders. Traveling to these small yet significant wine districts begets a level of understanding unreachable in books or podcasts. See and taste the difference between villages, appellations and vineyards.
- Discover the Piedmont wine region with your instructor, Kerin O’Keefe, Italian Wine Editor for Wine Enthusiast Magazine.
- Explore Piedmont’s iconic wine villages including Alba, Asti, Barolo, Barbaresco and Serralunga
- See the famous Langhe and Monferrato Hills firsthand and discover why they were made UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Delve in the fascinating terroirs of Barolo and Barbaresco, the king and queen of Italian wine
- Drink history as you learn about the evolution of the region’s wines and taste winemaking philosophy in the glass
- Experience insider tastings with winemakers at some of Piedmont’s most exalted wineries. Compare vintages and vineyards as you learn local details directly from the people who grow the grapes and make the wine.
- Lunch and dine in the region’s best restaurants and discover the region’s epicurean delights paired with fantastic local wines.
Travel with like-minded, committed students of wine, whether serious wine hobbyists or wine professionals, and share with us an unforgettable educational, epicurean and enlightening experience!
MEMORIES FROM OUR 2017 PIEDMONT WINE TOUR:
Your Instructor & Guide: Kerin O'Keefe
- Award-winning journalist and author
- Italian Wine Editor at Wine Enthusiast Magazine
- Author of three books including "Barolo and Barbaresco the King and Queen of Italian Wine"
Your Tour Manager: Mauro Businaro
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mauro Businaro.
Mauro is an experienced Sommelier and member of the AIS (Italian Sommelier Association). He lives in Padua, Italy and organizes food and wine events, classes and day tours in Venice and the Veneto wine region.
Sunday, June 3 | Torino/Turin
- Participants arrive independently in Turin and check into the centrally-located 4-star Starhotel Majestic.
- Take the evening to explore this beautiful city and dine on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Monday, June 4 | Asti-Monferrato | B, L, D
- Meet your instructor, Wine Enthusiast’s Italy Editor Kerin O’Keefe, and begin your explorations in Asti-Monferrato. The hills of Asti and Monferrato are the spiritual home of Barbera. You’ll visit some of the area’s most important producers including those who played a major role in Barbera’s Renaissance.
- Visit three top producers, like Bava, Braida or Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta, with time in their vineyards and winery facilities, and an in-depth tasting.
- Enjoy a lunch of local specialties at one of the wineries.
- Check into your accommodations for the rest of the trip, 4-star Hotel Calissano in the lovely and historic city of Alba.
- Your welcome dinner is at the elegant ristorante La Libera, paired with great Piedmont wines.
Tuesday, June 5 | Asti-Monferrato | B, L
- Besides Barbera, the Asti-Monferrato area is also celebrated for fresh, savory and lightly sparkling Moscato d’Asti. You’ll try some of the best in the cellars of the denomination’s most iconic producers, like Cantine Coppo or Michele Chiarlo, where you’ll taste their great wines made only with the typical Piedmont grape varieties from four production areas (Barolo, Barbaresco, Asti and Gavi).
- Stop along the way for a delicious trattoria lunch.
- In the heart of the Moscato d'Asti, taste the best of this DOCG at a fine producer like Azienda Paolo Saracco.
- Enjoy an evening on your own in Alba with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Wednesday, June 6 | Barolo | B
- Known as the King of Wine and the Wine of Kings, you’ll visit three storied producers and rising stars in the village that lent its name to the wine, like Brezza, Elvio Cogno Cavallotto or Renato Ratti.
- Enjoy some free time in the charming village of Barolo, with lunch on your own.
- Return to Alba, where you’ll have the evening to explore and dine at your leisure.
Thursday, June 7 | Barbaresco | B, L, D
- No longer living in the shadow of Barolo, Barbaresco is a world-class wine in its own right. You’ll visit renowned producers in the wine’s namesake village and other Barbaresco villages, like Cascina delle Rose, Sottimano or Rizzi.
- Learn more about Barbaresco with a presentation and tasting by the Produttori del Barbaresco.
- Enjoy lunch of Piedmontaise specialties at Tratorria Antica Torre.
- Your farewell dinner is in the ancient vaulted cellars of Enoclub restaurant in Alba.
Friday, June 8 | Barolo | B, L
On your last day, you’ll visit another top estate in the celebrated Barolo village of Castiglione Falletto, and a pioneering producer in Monforte d’Alba, where producers turn out structured, complex Barolos. We’ll end up in Serralunga, home to some of the most long-lived Barolos, to visit one of the most important wineries.
- Today, visit more top Barolo estates in the villages of Castiglione Falletto, Monforte d’Alba and Serralunga, for example, Paolo Scavino, Aldo Conterno or Massolino.
- Enjoy panoramic views of the Barolo vineyards as you savor fine local cuisine at La Rosa dei Vini restaurant.
- Late afternoon group transfer to Turin train station and airport.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
- Instruction throughout by Wine Enthusiast Magazine’s Italian Wine Editor, Kerin O’Keefe
- The services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 1 night at 4-star Starhotel Majestic in Turin, double occupancy
- 4 nights at 4-star Hotel Calissano in Alba, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners expertly matched with top-quality wines
- 4 gourmet lunches expertly matched with top-quality wines
- 5 buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at renowned wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,295.00
Single Supplement: US$ 295.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
******After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2018, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 15 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information: