French Wine Scholar® Study & Certification Program
THE FRENCH WINE SCHOLAR® PROGRAM IS THE INDUSTRY'S MOST RESPECTED CERTIFICATION COURSE
ON THE WINES OF FRANCE
- Peter Swijsenon Jun 8, 2023"You get a really good view of everything France has to offer. The online environment is a fantastic surplus to the book. "
- Laura Gutierrezon May 8, 2023"The French Wine Schola has meant to me a great opportunity to widen my knowledege of the wines of France. It not only dives into all the winemaking regions of this country, but it also makes you enjoy by discovering other fascinating facets of its culture."
- gracematalaon May 2, 2023"Best course you can ask for if you need to get in top wine as professional. Great Material and best course provide as well. ."
- Juan Carlos Gallegoson May 1, 2023"FWS is the basis of all wine studies as it comprises the cornerstone and benchmark of winemaking and wine styles worldwide. It was a challenging course, but very rewarding."
- Vanessaon Apr 26, 2023"The FWS program provides very detailed information about the French wine industry and culture. It’s very enjoyable to dig into the program."
- Daniel Meijleson Apr 17, 2023"A great way to deep-dive in all things French wine related: from understanding the basics of the wines from each corner of l'hexagon and the reasons why certain styles are made, to why AOC labelled wines don't always mean the best. The FWS program has something for all..."
- Brian McAteeron Apr 15, 2023"The course is very thorough with interesting details about each region."
- Carlos Reison Apr 12, 2023"Taming the FWS was, above all, fun! There is an vast and detailed content for each French region. Initially, it may even seem scary, but with time everything fits together like a big puzzle and the result is beautiful! Knowledge for life! The goal now is to be able to visit all these beautiful regions in loco. Santé!"
- Carlos Reison Apr 12, 2023"attending the FWS was, above all, fun! There is very broad and detailed content for each French region. Initially, it may even seem scary, but with time everything fits together like a big puzzle and the result is beautiful! Knowledge for life! The goal now is to be able to visit all these beautiful regions in loco. Santé!"
- Jeff Campbellon Apr 9, 2023"The French Wine Scholar program is the second Wine Scholar Guild program i've taken after passing the Spanish Wine Scholar exam earlier this year. I highly recommend these programs to expand your wine knowledge. They are very well written and the supplemental materials that are included on-line make for a very enjoyable learning experience. Jeff Campbell, SWS"
- Jeff Campbellon Apr 9, 2023"The French Wine Scholar program is the second Wine Scholar Guild program i've taken after passing the Spanish Wine Scholar exam earlier this year. I highly recommend these programs to expand your wine knowledge. They are very well written and the supplemental materials that are included on-line make for a very enjoyable learning experience."
- Patrick McDowellon Mar 26, 2023"A brilliant course for enthusiasts of French wine and France, which comes through in the relevant history, geography and winemaking that integrate into a program that's much more of a full terroir than a simple tutored tasting . I rediscovered a passion for France and a much greater understanding of its wines."
- Sujayon Mar 25, 2023"This course provided extensive knowledge about wines coming from France. The history, culture, climate, grapes and method of production is given in so much detail that you want to know everything about this country. I loved this program."
- Kwok Hin Chanon Mar 22, 2023"The comprehensive online module which is very good for the Wine Scholar Guild learning. "
- Bingjie Chenon Mar 17, 2023"The programme does offer me a deeper understanding of French wine history. The knowledge of topology, climate and their impacts on viticulture helps to comprehend Terroir. "
The French Wine Scholar® education program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available. The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
The French Wine Scholar® program is available in distance-learning format and through a global network of Approved Program Providers that offer classroom instruction coupled with tutored tastings.
STUDY OPTION 1 | ONLINE LEARNING
STUDY WHEN YOU WANT, AT YOUR OWN PACE, AT HOME, AT THE OFFICE OR WHILE TRAVELING
Earn the French Wine Scholar® (FWS) post-nominal via the online, independent study format or enroll in the self-paced on-demand instructor-led online format which includes 15 on-demand webinars and live, online Monthly Meet-Ups with your instructors.
The French Wine scholar® online learning format includes:
- A comprehensive 330-page study manual with illustrations, maps, and graphics, available in print + e-book formats
- 1-year access to our interactive and user-friendly e-learning platform including online learning modules, pronunciation exercises, quizzes and flashcards
- 15 on-demand webinars with acclaimed wine educators (instructor-led format only)
- Monthly Meet-Ups with your instructors on themes pertaining to your FWS studies (instructor-led format only)
- The FWS Study Roadmap: A Checklist For Success, providing a suggested schedule of study
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group
- An online exam sit (100 multiple choice questions).
Louis-Fabrice Latour, Chairman at Maison Louis Latour
STUDY OPTION 2 | CLASSROOM LEARNING
AVAILABLE AROUND THE GLOBE!
The French Wine Scholar® program is offered by WSG Approved Program Providers in over 30 countries and 5 continents.
French Wine Scholar® classes are offered by licensed program providers and delivered by an approved FWS instructor. This study format includes:
- Classroom instruction with tutored tastings
- A copy of the FWS study manual
- Access to the FWS online study modules & quizzes for class prep & review
- In-classroom exam sit
All FWS program providers teach from the same Wine Scholar Guild-developed presentations and are supplied with uniform teaching materials.
"The French Wine Scholar manual has once again proven why the Wine Scholar Guild is one of the best wine education programs in the world."Nicholas PolettoDirector of Education at Kobrand Corporation"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”Martin SinkoffVP and Director of Marketing, Frederick Wildman And Sons"Anyone wanting to learn about French wines needs to take this program; there is no better program out there"Kevin ClearyOwner/Director at Vermont Wine School"I cannot think of a better way to dive in deep on the wines of France to prepare for the Advanced & Master Sommelier exams, WSET Diploma or MW"David Glancy MS, CWE, FWSFounder of San Francisco Wine School"The level of detail and quality of the materials make this program a must-do for any serious student of wine"Peter Neptune, MS, CWE, FWSFounder of The Neptune School of Wine"The French Wine Scholar Program is the industry's most comprehensive, in-depth course on the wines of France"Jay Youmans, MWFounder of Capital Wine School"My most sincere appreciation goes to the WSG team for their great work to make French wines so much fun and easy to learn"Xavier BarlierSr. VP, Marketing & Communication at Maisons Marques & Domaines"I only wish I had this book when I began studying French wine!"Peter Marks, MWVP of Education at Constellation Academy of Wine
Ready for your next challenge? There's still time to join the upcoming sessions!
- 🇫🇷 French Wine Scholar June 15
- 🇫🇷 Bourgogne Masters September 12
- 🍾 Champagne Masters September 19
- 🇮🇹 Italian Wine Scholar Unit 1 June 15
- 🇮🇹 Italian Wine Scholar Unit 2 June 15
- 🇪🇸 Spanish Wine Scholar June 15
- 🇪🇸 CSWS® June 19 & 23 or July 17 & 21
- 🇪🇸 Catalunya Study Trip, October 8-13
- 🍷 Winemaking: Choices in the Cellar
+ 300 on-demand replays on WSG Studio