Cru Artisan College is an annual, multi-city, full-day wine education seminar series bringing together a panel of talented winemakers who will address some of the nation’s leading sommeliers, trade members, wine educators and serious students of wine. The fifth edition of CAC, scheduled for July 15th in Denver, July 17th in Napa and July 19th in Austin, will focus on the wines of Italy. It is organized with the collaboration of the Wine Scholar Guild, SOMM Journal, Guild of Sommeliers, Society of Wine Educators.
As an academic partner, the Wine Scholar Guild is offering its members and all serious students of wine the opportunity to partake by purchasing tickets in one of the following cities:
Sunday, July 15 2018, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
At University of Denver
Fritz Knoebel School of Hospitality Management
2044 E. Evans Ave, Denver CO
Tuesday, July 17 2018, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
500 First Street, Napa CA
Thursday, Juy 19 2018, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
At Intercontinental Stephen F. Austin Hotel
701 Congress Avenue, Austin TX
The Wine Scholar Guild only has 10 seats available per city for this event, so reserve your space today!
The Headmaster for this year’s Crus Artisan US Tour is Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS
- Native Italian, DWS and Certified Sommelier.
- Wine Scholar Guild's Education Director for Italy.
- Creator of the Italian Wine Scholar™ study & certification program
10:00 am – 10:20 am | HOMEROOM – MORNING LOVE, LAMBRUSCO STYLE
- We’ll break the ice – and the rules – with the ultimate “breakfast wine,” offering a fun and friendly introduction to our day of scholarly pursuit. Coffee and tea will also be served for those needing greater stimulus.
Albinea Canali – OttocentoNero, FB Metodo Ancestrale, Pennarossa
10:30 am – 11:00 am | NEW HEIGHTS: INTROSPECTIVE ON ALTA LANGA, ITALY’S NEWEST SPARKLING APPELLATION
- Winemaker Alberto Lazzarino, president of Piedmont’s Guild of Winemakers, will explore the details and evolution of his region’s bright new sparkling star.
Cuvee Aurora Rose current release 2014 and sur-lie 2015, 2016 and 2017
11:05 am – 11:35 | CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN: A FOCUS ON ABRUZZO’S COLLINE TERAMANE DOCG
- Enrico Cerulli will explain what distinguishes the soil and climate around the hills of Teramo enough to make it the most prized area for Montepulciano d’Abruzzo.
Torre Migliori: 2012 current release, 2013 pre-release, 2009 and 2004 library reserves
11:40 pm – 1:00 pm | BUILDERS OF BRUNELLO: A WINEMAKER’S PERSPECTIVE, FROM THE GROUND UP
- Celebrating 40 years since the founding of Castello Banfi in Montalcino, Cellar Master Gabriele Pazzaglia will outline the results of four decades of research into the clones of Sangiovese and the ideal soils for Brunello di Montalcino.
Clones: BF 30, Janus 10 and Janus 50
Single vineyards: Tavernelle, Poggioni, Mandrielle
Brunello di Montalcino: Poggio alle Mura 2013, Poggio alle Mura Riserva 2007, Castello Banfi 1988
1:00 pm – 1:40 pm | COMPETITIVE BLIND TASTING
- A cash prize is at stake for those who can most accurately identify our four wines. Buffet lunch will be served; those needing more time to eat can bring their dishes into the subsequent seminar.
1:45 pm – 2:30 pm | A PASSION FOR APPASSIMENTO – A SARTORIAL APPROACH TO CLASSIC VERONESE TECHNIQUE
Leading Veronese producers of Amarone and Ripasso wines will share their knowledge, passion and insights for the unique appassimento winemaking technique dating back to ancient Romans and “farmers’ secret” for centuries.
Ferdi, Sartori Valpolicella, L’Appassione, Regolo.
Amarone della Valpolicella: Sartori, Corte Bra, I Saltari
2:35 pm – 3:00 pm | NOT YOUR NONNA’S MARSALA: A SWEET FINISH AND A BITTER NOTE
- Sicily’s historic Florio winery, with the world’s largest reserve of aged marsala, reveals the gems of their cellars and demonstrates the history, contemporary context and bright future of Marsala.
Targa: 2015 Cask, 2010 Cask, 2003 C.R., 2003 Cask
3:00 pm – 3:15 pm | BITTER END: THE FORMULATION OF FERNET FLORIO
- The only thing Italians love more than a good meal is settling the stomach after with a digestive bitter, a harmonious masterpiece of herbs and spices.
List of participating producers to be added shortly.
For more information: