Liz Gabay, MW, Instructor for the Provence trip, has given us a list of regional wines available in broad distribution around the globe in order to demonstrate the diversity and quality of Provence wines.
If you only look at Provence and think pink…think again. Liz says that this selection will show you a diverse and multi-faceted wine region
CONTEST: Give these wines a try, and then post your comments and tasting notes on the Wine Scholar Guild Facebook page. The first person to post tasting notes on a wine from each of the six domaines will win a free registration in the Wine Scholar Guild's Provence Master-Level Online Study Program!
Be sure to “Like” the page while you’re there.
A selection of wines from around Provence
Chateau Coussin, Ste Victoire
Coussin makes wines under the shadow of Mont Ste Victoire (made famous by Cezanne) and is one of the many estates owned by the Sumeire family. The chalky soils of the region give a freshness (excellent acidity) to the wines. The whites and rosés show delicious peachy fruit and the reds rich black fruit. The César 2001 is still drinking beautifully.
- T Edward Wines, New York, NY, www.tedwardwines.comfor New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
- Zancanella Importing Co, Portland, OR.
Chateau Rouet, Cotes de Provence-Fréjus
Ch. Rouet is an old family estate, not far from Chateau d’Esclans. In fact, the winemakers for the two estates are brothers! Rouet makes a range of rosés--including a rosé from the very small sub-appellation of Cotes de Provence-Frejus where the volcanic soils impart a stoney-mineral character. The top wine, ‘Belle Poule’, does not refer to a pretty chicken dinner – but rather to the name of the boat which bore Emperor Napoleon away as captive. Napoleon's wardrobe doors were salvaged from the boat and installed in the chapel here.
- Michael Skurnik Wines, Syosset, NY
- Village Wine Import Ltd., New York, NY
- Vigneron Imports, Oakland, CA 94602.
Chateau Calisse, Coteaux Varois
Coteaux Varois is one of the more northerly vineyards in Provence, the cooler climate lending a fresh, crisp character to the wines. The whites are full of green fruit, the rosés boast lively red fruits and the predominantly Syrah-based reds have a Rhone-like minerality.
- Margaux & Company, Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Small Production Wines, Portland, OR 97210.
Mascaronne, Cotes de Provence
Owned by Tom Bove (who sold his other estate Chateau Miraval to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie), this domaine produces some stunning reds with good ageing potential.
- Integrity Wines, New York, NY. www.integritywines.com
- Vinum Importing, Seattle, WA, www.vinumimporting.com
- Vintage Imports, Bristol, PA. (215) 78www.vintageimportswines.com
- Vinecraft, Miami, FL. www.vinecraft.com
- International Cellars, Vienna, VA. www.internationalcellars.com
- Chez Suze Imports, Boulder, CO.
Chateau Vignelaure, Coteaux d’Aix
This northerly Coteaux d’Aix vineyard includes some of the oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vines in Provence. (They were planted in the 1960s by Georges Brunet from cuttings from his Bordeaux estate, Château La Lagune.) This domaine was the earliest ‘cult’ wine producer in the region and brought the potential of Provencal red wines to the consumer's attention. After a number of years in the doldrums, this estate is now under new ownership and seeing a return to its former glory.
- Blue Coast Wine Imports, New York, NY. www.bluecoastwines.com
Domaine de la Croix and Bastide Blanche, Cotes de Provence (St Tropez)
The peninsula of St Tropez is campaigning to receive its own sub-appellation for its cluster of top estates located on the hills behind the famous resort town. The two cru classé domains listed above are jointly owned, and both use wine consultant, Michel Rolland. The schist soil and proximity to the sea give a salty-mineral character similar to that of the wines of La Londe further to the west.
- Vinecraft, Miami, FL. www.vinecraft.com
- Purple Valley Imports, Pittsburgh, PA
- Grapevine Distributors, Concord, NC. www.grapevinedistributors.com
- Schneider’s of Capitol Hill, Washington, DC www.cellar.com
To find all these wines, we suggest looking on www.wine-searcher.com