Nebbiolo is one of Italy’s greatest cultivars—if not the greatest, period.
Historically, it has held a place of reverence. In the 15th century, damaging a Nebbiolo vine was punishable by death!
Native to Piedmont and thriving in the Langhe, this grape is the consummate interpreter of “place.” Bold, brash, sophisticated or elegant, it manifests multiple personalities depending upon the environment in which it finds itself.
Find out more in this comprehensive tour of Piedmont terroirs! See the land from Nebbiolo’s point of view!
Presenter: Ciro Pirone
Ciro Pirone, Director of Italian Wines for Horizon Beverage Company, is a graduate of the Istituto Alberghiero (Hotel and Restaurant Management school) of Salerno, Italy. Traveling and working in Italy, England and the US, Ciro developed an incredible passion for wine, food and culture. After all, growing up in Italy, wine was always a very important part of his family’s lifestyle and traditions.
In 1999, Ciro moved to the US permanently. He landed in Boston, where he continued his wine studies at Boston University, the International Sommelier Guild and the London –based Wine & Spirits Educational Trust (WSET). In 2007, Ciro accepted the position of Italian Wine Specialist for Horizon Beverage. After successful growth at HBC, Ciro accepted on a new challenge as the US Brand Manager for the Arnaldo Caprai Winery of Montefalco (Umbria), the top producer of worldwide recognized Sagrantino di Montefalco. In June 2011, Ciro returned to Horizon Beverage with a new position of Director of Italian Wines in support of their expanding presence in the New England marketplace. Ciro is happy to share his passion for Italian wine and culture in an effort to give the American wine consumer a better understanding and appreciation for Italian wine!
Learn more about Italian Wines:
- Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program
- Tuscany Wine Study Tours with Jane Hunt MW
- Piedmont Wine Study Tours with Kerin O'Keefe
- Italian Wine Blog Articles
Become a member of the Wine Scholar Guild to view recorded member webinars. JOIN NOW
- More than Nebbiolo – Delving into Piedmont’s Lesser Known Indigenous Varieties with Robin Kick MW
- Orvieto, the Magic, and Mystery of the Place and it’s Wines with Tanya Morning Star Darling
- Jimmy’s Red Hot Sicily with Jimmy Smith
- Noble Nebbiolo with Alan Tardi
- Franciacorta and Trento: A Tale of Two Cities