A COMPREHENSIVE ONLINE STUDY AND CERTIFICATE PROGRAM ON THE WINES OF BOURGOGNE!
The Bourgogne Master-level program is an official course of study designed for wine trade and serious students of wine. It has been created jointly by the Wine Scholar Guild and lead instructor Don Kinnan, CWE and is endorsed by Bourgogne Wine Board - BIVB.
A dream team of producers and Bourgogne experts from all over the world is providing a unique and dynamic learning experience via web-based teaching technology coupled with an optional immersion trip to the region itself.
Earn the Bourgogne Master-level via 18 webinars, a comprehensive study manual, an interactive preparatory e-learning module and quizzes for self-evaluation.
Bourgogne ML Graduate Testimonials
The Master-Level program allowed me to take a more general understanding of wine and focus on a specific area and type of wine. I love understanding how the history, natural attributes and culture of a given place shape its wines.Kari DawsonWine EnthusiastWSET Level 3, Certified Specialist of Wine CSW, Certified Specialist of SpiritsThe master level programs in general make me a better teacher, and I hope will translate into more success for my students in not just the French Wine Scholar courses, but in all the classes I teach.Tanya Morning Star DarlingFaculty at Northwest Wine Academy at South Seattle CollegeWSET Diploma, FWS, IWS, Certified Specialist of Wine CSW
- Online, proctored exam sit
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group organized by students enrolled in the online program
- Preparatory reading assignments, online study module and review quiz
- All webinars are available for on-demand replay (up to one year from the time of registration)
- Access to instructors via the Q&A forum
- Don Kinnan, CWE
Lead-instructor; 35 years of experience in the wine industry; Chevalier dans l’Ordre du Merite Agricole
- Allen Meadows
Aka the Burghound
- Alex Gambal
Boston native, now a leading négociant of Grands Crus in Bourgogne
- Andrew Jefford
Award-winning wine journalist for Decanter Magazine and author of twelve books on wine including “The New France”
- Stephen Charters MW
Former Professor of Champagne Management, Reims Management School; current Director of Research at School of Wine & Spirits Business at Burgundy School of Business (formerly ESC Dijon)
- Chris Tanghe, MS
Chief Instructor at Guild of Sommeliers
Your moderator and program coordinator is Lisa M. Airey, CWE, FWS, Education Director, Wine Scholar Guild and BIVB Certified Bourgogne Instructor.
#1 18 recorded webinars presented by world-renowned Bourgogne experts:
Don Kinnan Allen Meadows Alex Gambal
Stephen Charters MW Chris Tanghe MS
- #1 - Vintages and Wine Quality with Allen Meadows
- #2 - The Physical and Spiritual Architecture of Burgundy with Don Kinnan
- #3 - Growing the Vines with Don Kinnan
- #4 - Making the Wines with Don Kinnan
- #5 - Chablis, the World’s Most Exhilarating Chardonnay Wine with Don Kinnan
- #6 - Gevrey-Chambertin, Napoleon’s Favorite with Don Kinnan
- #7 - Becoming a Wine Producer in Bourgogne with Alex Gambal
- #8 - Morey-Saint-Denis, Chambolle-Musigny, and Vougeot with Don Kinnan |
- #9 - Romanée Conti anyone with Don Kinnan
- #10 - The Mountain of Corton, Gateway to the Côte de Beaune with Don Kinnan
- #11 - Beaune and Its Siblings with Don Kinnan
- #12 - Ahhhh! Pommard and Volnay with Don Kinnan
- #13 - Meursault and Puligny-Montrachet, the Royal Court with Don Kinnan
- #14 - Chassagne-Montrachet and Value Villages of Cote de Beaune with Don Kinnan
- #15 - The Cote Chalonnaise and Maconnais, Burgundy Value Centers with Don Kinnan
- #16 - The Business of Bourgogne with Steve Charters MW
- #17 - Building a successful Burgundy list with Chris Tanghe, MS
- #18 - Burgundy: nature or nurture? with Andrew Jefford
All webinars have been recorded as a video and mp3 podcast and become available for on-demand replay!
#2 The Bourgogne Study Manual (updated in 2017):
The Bourgogne Master-Level study manual is a combination of the content of “The Wines of Burgundy” (13th edition) by Sylvain Pitiot and Jean-Charles Servant with WSG insights and perspective written by Lead Instructor, Don Kinnan CWE. These materials have been amassed into a single book.
The student is given three voices within one manual and an opportunity to look at Bourgogne from the standpoint of very different yet complimentary assessments. The goal of this combination of outlook and insight is to paint a multi-dimensional view of a multi-faceted wine region.
Through both presentation of hard fact and philosophical mindset, the manual will comprehensively cover:
- Viticultural History
- Geology, Topography, Soil Layers
- Grapes and the Vine
- Burgundian Grape Growing Practices
- Burgundian Winemaking Practices
- All Sub-regions and all Appellations
- Terroir as expressed in Climats and Lieux-dits
- Wine Villages; Grand Crus & Premiers Crus
- Wine Trade, Wine Statistics, Industry Trends
Plus: Detailed maps for each village
#3 Online Study Modules (updated in 2017):
The Bourgogne online study module offers interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use.
Bourgogne online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Full audio narration to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
Quiz | How Well Do You Know Bourgogne?
- You receive the full-color, Bourgogne Master-Level study manual for independent reading and study. Work through the material when you have time in your schedule.
- All webinars are recorded for on demand replay in webinar or podcast formats…perfect to listen to on your way to work!
- Have a question after watching a recorded webinar? Contact your instructors via the Instructor Q & A forum or email Lisa Airey directly. The choice is yours.
- You have a full year to sit the exam…just in case life gets in the way.
Bourgogne Master-Level Online Exam:
The exam is comprised of three separate sections: 50 multiple-choice questions, four short-answer questions and a map exercise. Passing score is 75/100. The exam questions and essay topics are taken from the Bourgogne Study Manual and webinars. Practice maps are also available on the site.
Online exam candidates must have a computer (tablet not compatible), a good internet connection, a webcam and a microphone with speakers for proctoring purposes.
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.