Earn the French Wine Scholar™ (FWS) post-nominal through 5 weeks of self-study fully supported by a comprehensive study manual, interactive e-learning modules for each region, and 8 live review webinars.
This format provides the convenience and flexibility of an online study program with interactive live “classroom” instruction delivered to a global student network via computer or tablet.
We provide true tech support, stellar instruction from world renowned instructors, a flexible schedule of study designed for busy professionals and all the necessary tools to master French wines.
The French Wine Scholar™ education program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available.The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
Preview of the program:
The French Wine Scholar ™ online | 5-week Instructor-Led Format includes:
- A schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- The French Wine Scholar™ online exam*
- Access to repeat-after-me pronunciation exercise
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group organized by students enrolled in the online program
Meet your instructor
Sharon McLean, CS, DipWSET, FWS, IWS
- Certified Sommelier through the International Sommelier Guild Senior
- Authorized instructor of Wine Scholar Guild and WSET courses on Vancouver Island
- WSET Diploma with the highest marks in Canada
- An accredited Bordeaux instructor
How it works:
- You receive the full-color, 274-page French Wine Scholar study manual for independent reading and study. Work through the material when you have time in your schedule.
- You are provided access to on-line study modules and review quizzes corresponding to the course content found in the manual. These are available to you 24/7!
- Attend 8 live webinars for 5 weeks via webinar accessible from computer or tablet. An opportunity to exchange freely with your instructor and fellow students. We always love to hear from you! Can’t make a webinar live? No problem. All are recorded for on demand replay in webinar or podcast formats…perfect on your way to work!
- Have a question after watching a recorded webinar? Contact your instructors via and Instructor Q & A forum or email her directly. The choice is yours.
- Track your progress through the course curriculum via our online tracking system.
- We have structured the curriculum into a three-month program to keep you focused and disciplined in your study. But you have a full year to sit the exam…just in case life gets in the way.
Why this format?
1. It is manageable.
The program is designed to keep you on track…but it is also flexible enough to enable you to catch up should your schedule get interrupted…or even to suspend it should you get derailed. It is designed to accommodate the needs of a busy professional.
2. You have real human support.
Sharon is available for questions via chat box during webinars, via the Q&A forum and via direct email/phone. There is also a student forum should you wish to create a study group/tasting group in your area or just interact with your fellow students. You can be as interactive or as independent as you want to be.
3. You are part of a global student community.
Your classmates will hail from every segment of the wine industry from all over the globe and offer very different insights and points of view. The intellectual ferment adds to the depth of your learning.
4. Your classroom is mobile.
If you have a computer, cell phone or tablet, you have a classroom!
Schedule of study:
This additional FWS online instructor-led session starts April 6th with instructor Sharon McLean. Get your FWS certification in 5 weeks!
(April 9 - 10)
Welcome webinar (30 mins) with Sharon
Monday, April 6, 2020 @ NOON EST
Alsace, Jura & Savoie (1h15) with Sharon
Thursday, April 9, 2020 @ NOON EST
(April 13 - 19)
Champagne (1h15) with Sharon
Thursday, April 16, 2020 @ NOON EST
(April 20 - 26)
Loire (1h15) with Sharon
Monday, April 20, 2020 @ NOON EST
Bourgogne & Beaujolais (1h15) with Sharon
Thursday, April 23, 2020 @ NOON EST
(April 27 - May 3)
Bordeaux & South West (1h15) with Sharon
Monday, April 27, 2020 @ NOON EST
Rhône & Provence (1h15) with Sharon
Thursday, April 30, 2020 @ NOON EST
(May 4 - 10)
Languedoc-Roussillon & Corsica (1h15) with Sharon
Monday, May 4, 2020 @ NOON EST
Final review webinar (1h15) with Sharon
Thursday, May 7, 2020 @ NOON EST
WE OFFER ALL THE NECESSARY TOOLS & SUPPORT TO MASTER THE WINES OF FRANCE:
#1 FWS Study Manual:
The 270-page, full-color study manual (6th Edition) provides all the information from which the test questions are derived. You do not need to research you own study materials; everything you need to know is in the manual.
Comprehensive coverage of France’s 14 distinct wine regions is presented in the following manner:
- Viticultural history, wine culture and traditions
- Location and climate and their effects on viticulture and wine style
- Topography, geography and soils and their impact on the vine
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking practices
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All AOCs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
Regions covered: Alsace, Champagne, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Southwest, Languedoc, Roussillon, Rhône, Provence, Corsica
Plus: A Foundation Unit covering: French wine law, grape varieties, viticulture, viniculture and a discussion of Old World vs. New World wine styles
French Wine Scholar™ study manual features:
"The manual is very well laid out with pertinent information that goes beautifully hand-in-hand with the online program. Highly recommended for both newcomers and well-seasoned wine students alike." Brian Christ, FWS
#2 FWS Online Study Modules:
The FWS online study modules offer interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use. Each region of France is covered and dovetails nicely with the French Wine Scholar study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
French Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Full audio narration to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
"I cannot think of a better way to dive in deep on the wines of France to prepare for the Advanced & Master Sommelier exams, WSET Diploma or MW" David Glancy MS, CWE, FWS, Founder of San Francisco Wine School
FWS Online Exam:
- The exam is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 60 minutes.
- The French Wine Scholar credential will be conferred to those individuals who sit the exam and achieve a score of 75 or higher.
- Online exam candidates must have a computer (tablet not compatible), a good internet connection, a webcam and a microphone with speakers for proctoring purposes.
Important notice: Candidates cancelling less than 5 business days prior to their scheduled exam date or not showing up the day of will incur a $85 re-scheduling fee.
"The French Wine Scholar manual has once again proven why the Wine Scholar Guild is one of the best wine…
Director of Education at Kobrand Corporation
"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”
VP and Director of Marketing, Frederick Wildman And Sons
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.