Wine tours to Jura are rare… and a study trip like we are offering next fall is simply unique and won’t be repeated any time soon!
Wine Study Tour Highlights
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to travel through the key appellations of this authentic wine region of France with a true expert and fabulous instructor!
- Enjoy guidance and instruction from award-winning author and Jura wine expert Wink Lorch
- Travel to key wine appellations including Arbois, Château-Chalon, l'Étoile and Côtes du Jura
- Dive into the many local grape varieties: Chardonnay, Savagnin, Poulsard, Pinot Noir and Trousseau
- Taste rare and distinctive wines, from oxidative white wines known as Vin Jaune, inimitable fresh and fruity white wine, fragrant red wine to vin de paille (straw wine) and Macvin (which are fortified wines)
- Get access to some of the most prestigious and sought-after small wine producers
- Enjoy the gorgeous scenery of lakes, mountains, castles and stunning hilltop villages like Château-Chalon
- Indulge in the renowned, rustic and authentic cuisine of the Jura…smoked meat, delicious matured Comté cheese, fondue, honey, morels..
Become one of the few to understand and master the wines of this authentic part of France!
Travel with like-minded, committed students of wine, whether serious wine hobbyists or wine professionals, and share with us an unforgettable educational, epicurean and enlightening experience!
Your instructor & Guide: Wink Lorch
- Author of the award-winning book, Jura Wine
- Contributor, writer and editor for numerous wine books and magazines
- Highly qualified and experienced speaker and presenter
Your Tour Manager: Brett Jones
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Brett Jones.
Brett has many years of wine experience, including as owner of a popular wine bar in England. He’s a member of the UK Association of Wine Educators, a recommended tutor for the Wine and Spirit Education Trust, and leads wine tours in Jura and other wine regions.
Sunday, Oct. 15
- Participants arrive independently in Besançon and check-in to 3-star Hotel de Paris.
- Evening on your own with our suggestions for fine restaurants.
Monday, Oct. 16 | Arbois | B, L, D
- Meet the group and your instructor, Wink Lorch, in the lobby of your hotel, and set off for the vineyards.
- Today you’ll explore contemporary and biodynamic Jura producers around AOP Arbois.
- At producer Domaine A & M Tissot, Stéphane Tissot will take you into his vineyards and cellar and discuss his biodynamic viticultural techniques during a tasting of his fine wines.
- Stop for a delicious lunch at Brasserie Aux Docks in Arbois.
- Visit biodynamic producer Domaine du Pélican, a relatively new estate owned by Marquis d’Angerville of Burgundy.
- Your last stop today is Domaine de la Pinte, another biodynamic estate in Arbois
- Check into beautiful 4-star Chateau de Germigney, a member of the prestigious Relais et Châteaux group.
- Your welcome dinner is at the hotel’s Michelin 1-star restaurant, accompanied by top Jura wines.
Tuesday, Oct. 17 | Château-Chalon, L’Etoile, Arlay | B, L
- Traditional Jura is the subject of today’s visits, including producers in AOPs Château-Chalon and L’Etoile, as well as in the village of Arlay in AOP Côtes de Jura.
- One of the most emblematic products of the Jura is Comté cheese - you’ll visit a top Comté producer to learn how this great cheese is made, and enjoy a tasting.
- Visit organic producer Domaine Berthet-Bondet, a fine classic producer in Château Chalon.
- Afterward, Wink will lead the group in a short walk through the hilltop village of Château-Chalon.
- Lunch of regional cuisine at Le P’tit Castel.
- The Château d’Arlay represents centuries of tradition – it’s been a family estate for nearly 1000 years! You’ll visit the Château and taste their classic wines.
- Round out the day at the star producer of L’Etoile, Domaine du Montbourgeau, which boasts one of the longest-serving women winemakers in Jura.
- Return to your hotel for a free evening and dinner on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Wednesday, Oct. 18 | Southern Jura, Côtes du Jura | B, L, D
- Travel to the Southern Jura and appellation Côtes du Jura today.
- Visit an organic producer like Domaine Labet or Marnes Blanches, including time in the vineyards.
- Enjoy a casual lunch at La Table de Perraud in the Jura capital town, Lons-le-Saunier.
- The afternoon holds a visit to Domaine Pignier, an excellent biodynamic producer with a Cistercian cellar, and afterward one of the great traditional producers with new generations at the helm like Domaine Baud, Domaine Grand, or Domaine Badoz.
- Your farewell dinner is at your hotel’s great restaurant, matched with the finest Jura wines.
Thursday, Oct. 19 | Arbois, Pupillin & Montigny | B, L
- Today, experience Jura’s modern, practical side, beginning with a visit to the Cave Co-operative Fruitière Vinicole d’Arbois.
- Move on to Pupillin and visit one of the best small producers, like Domaine de la Borde or Domaine de la Renardière.
- Enjoy the creative cuisine at Restaurant Grapiot in Pupillin.
- This afternoon, you’ll visit an estate that represents a compromise between the traditional and the modern, like Domaine Frédéric Lornet or Domaine Dugois, Montigny-les-Arsures.
- Transfer late afternoon to the train station in Besançon.
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality. As soon as we have confirmation from the estates that have accepted our visit, we will include them in the itinerary.
Hotel rooms: we are staying in small, historic hotel on this trip. As a result, the rooms will not all be exactly the same, and they may also be in different categories. We will assign hotel rooms in the order of sign-ups for the trip. All rooms will be very comfortable and have the same services (en-suite bathrooms, A/C, WiFi, etc.).
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
Your 4 Day, 4 Night Jura Immersion Study Trip includes:
- Instruction throughout by Jura wine expert Wink Lorch, author of Jura Wine
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 1 night at 3-star Hotel de Paris in Besançon, double occupancy
- 3 nights at 4-star Château de Germigney in Port Lesney, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines at a Michelin 1-star restaurant
- 4 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 4 delicious breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and tastings at top-quality wine estates
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 3,695.00
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!**
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available (2 single beds). Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**After you have reserved your first study trip in 2017 you will receive a discount of US $150 for each additional study trip you take in the same calendar year. This discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional study trip. You must pay for the first study trip in full to be eligible to receive the discount for additional study trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information:
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants
The following quiz is part of the WSG's French Wine Scholar study & certification program. Enjoy!