Embark on our 2017 Piedmont Study Tour with on site professional-level instruction
Piedmont Wine Study Tour Highlights
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to travel through all the key appellations of this authentic wine region of Italy with a notable expert and fabulous instructor!
The stunning wines of Piedmont are among the best in the world. The noble Nebbiolo grape achieves a level of greatness in the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco that cannot be matched in any other wine region. Lesser-known wine treasures such as Barbara, Dolcetto and Arneis are the everyday gems of industry insiders. Traveling to these small yet significant wine districts begets a level of understanding unreachable in books or podcasts. See and taste the difference between villages, appellations and vineyards.
- Discover the Piedmont wine region with your instructor, Kerin O’Keefe, an award winning journalist and author.
- Explore Piedmont’s iconic wine villages including, Alba, Asti, Barolo, Barbaresco and Serralunga
- See the famous Lange and Monferrato Hills firsthand and discover why they were made UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Delve in the fascinating terroirs of Barolo and Barbaresco, the king and queen of Italian wine
- Drink history as you learn about the evolution of the region’s wines and taste winemaking philosophy in the glass
- Experience insider tastings with winemakers at some of Piedmont’s most exalted wineries. Compare vintages and vineyards as you learn local details directly from the people who grow the grapes and make the wine.
- Lunch and dine in the region’s best restaurants and discover the region’s epicurean delights paired with fantastic local wines.
Travel with like-minded, committed students of wine, whether serious wine hobbyists or wine professionals, and share with us an unforgettable educational, epicurean and enlightening experience!
Your Instructor & Guide: Kerin O'Keefe
- Award-winning journalist and author
- Italian Editor at Wine Enthusiast Magazine
- Author of three books including "Barolo and Barbaresco the King and Queen of Italian Wine"
Your Tour Manager: Mauro Businaro
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mauro Businaro.
Mauro is an experienced Sommelier and member of the AIS (Italian Sommelier Association). He lives in Padua, Italy and organizes food and wine events, classes and day tours in Venice and the Veneto wine region.
Sunday, May 21 | Torino/Turin
- Participants arrive independently in Turin and check into the centrally-located 4-star Starhotel Majestic.
- Take the evening to explore this beautiful city and dine on your own with our restaurant suggestions.
Monday, May 22 | Asti-Monferrato | B, L, D
Meet your instructor, Kerin O’Keefe, and begin your explorations in Asti-Monferrato. The hills of Asti and Monferrato are the spiritual home of Barbera. You’ll visit some of the area’s most important producers including those who played a major role in Barbera’s Renaissance.
- In Cocconato d’Asti, visit Azienda Vinicola Bava, a family estate that pioneered the use of the barriques in this area. Visit the vineyards and taste through their impressive range.
- In Rocchetta Tanaro, visit Azienda Braida with innovative winemaker Giacomo Bologna.
- At the beautiful Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta estate, discover their terroir-driven wines and enjoy a lunch of local specialties at the estate.
- Check into your accommodations for the rest of the trip, 4-star Hotel Calissano in the lovely and historic city of Alba.
- Your welcome dinner is in the ancient vaulted cellars of Enoclub restaurant in Alba.
Tuesday, May 23 | Asti-Monferrato | B, L, D
Besides Barbera, the Asti-Monferrato area is also celebrated for fresh, savory and lightly sparkling Moscato d’Asti. You’ll try some of the best in the cellars of the denomination’s most iconic producers.
- Visit Cantine Coppo, one of the oldest family-owned wineries in Italy, where you’ll visit their underground cellars (classed as a UNESCO World Heritage site) and enjoy a tasting.
- At Michele Chiarlo, you’ll taste their great wines made only with the typical Piedmont grape varieties from four production areas (Barolo, Barbaresco, Asti and Gavi).
- Stop along the way for a delicious trattoria lunch.
- In the heart of the Moscato d'Asti, taste the best of this DOCG at Azienda Paolo Saracco.
- Return to Alba and have dinner tonight at your hotel’s fine restaurant.
Wednesday, May 24 | Barolo | B, L
Known as the King of Wine and the Wine of Kings, you’ll visit storied producers and rising stars in the village that lent its name to the wine as well as in the emerging village of Novello. You’ll also visit top estates in La Morra – known for wines of perfume and elegance – and Castiglione Falletto, celebrated for its Barolos of complexity and finesse.
- Next to the village of Barolo, visit fine organic producer Brezza, with a tour and tasting.
- Visit traditional producer Elvio Cogno, and enjoy a light lunch at the estate.
- In La Morra, visit Cantine Renato Ratti, one of the first estates here to make single-vineyard wines.
- As you visit Tenuta Cavallotto, you’ll taste their crus Barolo’s and other great Langhe wines.
- Return to Alba, where you’ll have the evening to explore and dine at your leisure.
Thursday, May 25 | Barbaresco | B, L, D
No longer living in the shadow of Barolo, Barbaresco is a world-class wine in its own right. You’ll visit storied producers in the wine’s namesake village and a rising star in another Barbaresco village.
- The renowned Gaja estate needs no introduction – here, Angelo Gaja has elevated the Nebbiolo grape to world-class dimensions. Daughter Gaia Gaja will lead you in a tour of the vineyards and winery, followed by an extensive tasting of their top wines.
- Learn more about Barbaresco with a presentation and tasting by the Produttori del Barbaresco.
- Enjoy lunch of Piedmontaise specialties at Tratorria Antica Torre.
- Round out the day at the Rizzi estate, perched atop a panoramic hilltop. The vineyards of the estate are within four great zones of Barbaresco, and you’ll taste them here today.
- Your farewell dinner is at the elegant ristorante La Libera, paired with great Piedmont wines.
Friday, May 26 | Barolo | B, L
On your last day, you’ll visit another top estate in the celebrated Barolo village of Castiglione Falletto and a pioneering producer in Monforte d’Alba, where producers turn out structured, complex Barolos. We’ll end up in Serralunga, home to some of the most long-lived Barolos, to visit one of the most important wineries.
- Visit Paolo Scavino, where for 60 years Enrico Scavino’s focus has been to invest in important crus of Nebbiolo to show the unique quality of each terroir.
- Visit Poderi Aldo Conterno, and taste wines that, in the winemaker’s words, “portray the real expression of the Langa terroir.
- Enjoy the panoramic views of the Barolo vineyards as you savor fine local cuisine at La Rosa dei Vini restaurant.
- In the charming village of Serralunga, visit Massolino, where their goal is preserving the typical characteristics of the local grape varieties in an exceptional terroir.
- Late afternoon group transfer to Turin train station and airport.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
Your 5 Day, 5 Night Piedmont Immersion Study Trip includes:
- Instruction throughout by Wine Enthusiast Magazine’s Italian Editor, Kerin O’Keefe
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 1 night at 4-star Starhotel Majestic in Turin, double occupancy
- 4 nights at 4-star Hotel Calissano in Alba, double occupancy
- 3 gastronomic dinners with fine wines
- 5 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 5 delicious breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at top-quality wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,295.00
Single Supplement: US$ 295.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!***
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
***After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2017, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 15 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information:
Enjoy memorable meals at Gastronomic restaurants and estates
2017 PIEDMONT WINE TOUR GALLERY:
MEMORIES FROM OUR 2017 PIEDMONT WINE TOUR: