The Spanish Wine Scholar™ program is the most advanced and comprehensive certification course on the wines of Spain.
The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all Spanish wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities. It provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
The program was created by Spanish wine specialist Rick Fisher, Spanish Wine Scholar™, Education Director.
Wines from Spain (ICEX - Spain's Trade & Investment Government Agency) has endorsed the program in recognition of its exceptional depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor.
The Spanish Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, SWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on five continents, the SWS credential has true international recognition.
The Spanish Wine scholar™ distance-learning formats include:
- A suggested schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- Live review webinars with Rick Fisher, SWS Education Director (*instructor-led format only)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps of all Spanish wine regions designed by Quentin Sadler
- Pronunciation exercises to boosts your credibility
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group hosted by students enrolled in the online program
PRICING FOR THESE ONLINE STUDY FORMATS:
Independent study format
On-demand, start anytimePrice: $595
WSG offers the Spanish Wine Scholar™ program through their Approved Program Providers, now including 80 wine schools in 30 countries and five continents.
- Classroom instruction with extensive tutored tastings
- A copy of the SWS study manual
- Access to the SWS online study modules & quizzes for class prep & review
- In-classroom exam sit
All SWS program providers teach from the same Wine Scholar Guild-developed presentations and are supplied with uniform teaching materials. For many, the classroom experience helps to reinforce the theory; a tutored tasting component brings each region to life. In addition, many students find the set "schedule" helpful in keeping up with their studies.
EMPOWERING STUDENTS TO SUCCEED
Modeled after the French Wine Scholar™ program, Spanish Wine Scholar™ students will receive the same complete study materials.
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ manual is the most comprehensive and current coverage of the wines of Spain and follows a regional approach with strong tie-ins to terroir.
Each chapter is designed for maximum content retention and utilizes a systematic approach, allowing the student to compare and contrast each wine region of Spain.
Manuals are current and discuss the most recent trends. They are printed in full color, are rich in imagery, and peppered with the iconic wine labels of each region.
Every Spanish wine appellation is discussed (vs. just mentioned) and triaged by "need-to-know" icons. Emphasis is given to the flavor and structure profiles of the wines.
A Fundamentals Chapter provides an overview that puts all of Spain and its wines into perspective.
The SWS online study program offers interactive e-learning modules that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum content retention and ease of use.
Each region of Spain is covered and dovetails nicely with the Spanish Wine Scholar™ study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you've got a laptop and an internet connection, you've got a classroom!
Spanish Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- E-learning modules loaded with videos and learning games to keep you engaged
- Automatic bookmarks to resume where you left off
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Hundreds of online flashcards
- Pronunciation exercises
- You earn badges to track your accomplishments
#3 Detailed Spanish Wine Maps:
Your study manual will be packed with beautiful wine maps, which have been designed for this program by Quentin Sadler. Electronic versions of these maps and blank practice maps are also available for download on the online course page.
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by Rick Fisher, SWS Education Director
- Online Instructor-led Format: via the Q&A forum plus email and live chat with instructors
- In Classroom: via a local, certified instructor
COURSE CONTENT & STRUCTURE
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ course is composed of 10 chapters:
- Chapter One - Fundamentals
- Chapter Two - Green Spain
- Chapter Three - The Duero River Valley
- Chapter Four - La Rioja
- Chapter Five - The Ebro River Valley
- Chapter Six - Cataluña
- Chapter Seven - The Central Mediterranean Coast
- Chapter Eight - The Meseta
- Chapter Nine - Andalucía
- Chapter Ten - The Islands
The detailed Curriculum is available here
CERTIFICATION EXAM & POST-NOMINAL
SET YOURSELF APART FROM YOUR PEERS. SPECIALIZE IN THE WINES OF SPAIN!
Individuals who follow this in-depth Spanish wine course and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar™ title and SWS post-nominal, which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g., John Smith, SWS).
The exam is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions. Candidates need a score of 75% to receive the credential.
Students with a composite score of 85-90.5 pass with HONORS. Candidates who score 91-100 pass with HIGHEST HONORS.
- Graham Walter SWSon Jul 2, 2022"The SWS program had everything I was looking for. The content, structure, and practical approach were all fantastic and it was presented in an easy to understand and logical way. Outside of the world of wine, I am a practicing physician with a schedule that made the online independent study format perfect. I would highly recommend this course to anyone with a general interest in wine or an interest in Spain in particular. Hopefully, Spanish master classes are coming to the scholar guild soon!"
- Louise Boutinon Jun 29, 2022"Loved the Spanish Wine Scholar Program! Rick and Sasha are fantastic and very engaging instructors who truly know what they are talking about. I now have such a greater appreciation for Spanish wines and the history of Spain. I highly recommend the instructor led program!"
- Rusk Elatassion Jun 29, 2022"Truly enjoyed the course . The material , overall was coherent , easy to follow and just enough information without going too in depth. The wines tasted were specific to the regions as expected . "
- Laura Norenaon Jun 19, 2022"Both Rick and Sasha were great at explaining each lesson and helping with our doubts. Really enjoyed taking this course with both of them. "
- Lyndsey Wylieon Jun 13, 2022"I enjoyed the Spanish Wine Scholar programme very much. I was not as familiar with the wines of Spain compared to other regions and it was fun to learn about the breadth and depth of a new country. The materials were great to follow and tutoring excellent. "
- Amr Elnashaion Jun 10, 2022"The program is very well structured and provides exceptionally interesting and useful wine knowledge that would satisfy the professional and the hobbyist alike."
- Selina Miaoon Jun 2, 2022"The maps of individual regions are way better than WSET. "
- Yiu Keung Manon Jun 1, 2022"The material on the online class room and pronunciation are great and help me a lot of mastering Spanish wine."
- Maria Jose Paezon May 24, 2022"Absolutely fantastic! Loved the way the study manual is disposed, its organization made my study considerably easy! Besides, the software reinforced and perfectly summarized all chapters. Can’t wait to enroll in the French wine course!!!!"
- Annie Davison May 23, 2022"I love the WSG! I just completed FWS and SWS and am extremely pleased with the quality of the learning material, from the books, to the maps, to the learning objectives, and the online modules. It's very well organized and comprehensive and I've discovered so many things about wine regions that I didn't learn in other certification courses. Great job - super excited to be moving on to IWS next! "
- Juan Carlos Gallegoson May 23, 2022"Spanish Wine Scholar is a comprehensive course covering all wine producing regions of Spain. Study material is precise and easy to understand. Very recommended for wine professionals as well as for wine aficionados."
- Santiagoon May 22, 2022"I liked a lot the program and I’m looking forward to study the French program."
- Pedro Barrosoon May 21, 2022"It was really enjoyable, easy to follow, and I feel i learned so much in a short period of time. I highly recommend!"
- Alex Schirmeisteron May 20, 2022"Building on the FWS (in-classroom), I decided to also pursue the SWS. But work forced me to follow a distance-learning format this time around.And to be honest, it was just as excellent. The materials, the distance learning, the wine samples.... everything was excellent. I loved it and am very pleased to have completed the course."
- Koenraad Bouteligieron May 16, 2022"I followed the SWG and it gave me an extra impuls to study more, even after the exam i was in a learning mood and wanted to study extra and learn more about the subject After doing the SWG I am thinking to do the other courses too. This is a great formula to learn about winemaking in Spain , also in general, The on line classes where top."