more information and receive a
FREE sample chapter
THE SPANISH WINE SCHOLAR™ PROGRAM IS THE MOST ADVANCED AND COMPREHENSIVE CERTIFICATION COURSE
ON THE WINES OF SPAIN
Jonas Tofterup MW, Owner of Iberian Wine Academy in Málaga, Spain
About the Spanish Wine Scholar™ program:
The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all Spanish wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities. It provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
The program was created by Spanish wine specialist Rick Fisher, Spanish Wine Scholar™ Education Director.
Wines from Spain (ICEX - Spain's Trade & Investment Government Agency) has endorsed the program in recognition of its exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor.
The Spanish Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, SWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the SWS credential has true international recognition.
STUDY OPTION 1 | ONLINE LEARNING
STUDY WHEN YOU WANT, AT YOUR OWN PACE, AT HOME, AT THE OFFICE OR WHILE TRAVELING
Earn the Spanish Wine Scholar™ (SWS) post-nominal via the online, independent study format or enroll in the 10-week, instructor-led online format including 10 live review webinars.
The Spanish Wine scholar™ online learning format includes:
- A suggested schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- 10 live review webinars with Rick Fisher, SWS Education Director (*instructor-led format only)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps of all Spanish wine regions
- Pronunciation exercises to boosts your credibility
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group hosted by students enrolled in the online program
- George HF Makon Aug 13, 2020"Eliminating all the fears for those who believe that Spanish wines are difficult to understand and learn. A great chance to explore hidden gems in the wine world within limited budget."
- Alberto Martinez Interianoon Jul 16, 2020"The Spanish Wine Scholar is a fantastic program to get an in-depth view of all the Spanish wine regions. Taking a model from the successful French and Italian Wine scholar programs, it follows a well-structured approach for the main features in the environment (climate, soils, topography, grapes) as well as key viticulture and verification methods to better understand the traditional wines of the main DOs of Spain. Highly Recommended for both the professional and enthusiast interested in learning more about Spanish wine! "
- Crystal Wilsonon Jul 16, 2020"The WSG Spain program is a fantastic way to learn more about Spain in general as well as wine specifically. I'm excited to go to a Spanish restaurant and start working through their wine list. and I can't wait to go back to Spain!"
- Eugene O'Brienon Jul 10, 2020"I would highly recommend the SWS course to not just those that are working in the world of wine but also to those that may be new to wines and are curious to know more! The study manual and online study guides are highly intuitive and interesting for all levels of wine lovers!"
- Nicholas Forseyon Jul 8, 2020"The WSG Spanish Wine Scholar course is an enjoyable, informative and well-structured learning programme that provides an insightful overview whilst going through each of the regions in detail. The history, diverse landscapes, climates and peoples that make up Spain and how they contribute to the many different styles of wines produced there are brought together in their program. I'd recommend it to anyone with an appreciation of Spanish wine or wine in general."
- George HF Makon Jul 8, 2020"Providing in-depth knowledge for Spanish Wines"
- Nataliia Burlachenkoon Jul 7, 2020"I like this course a lot! The structure and the presented material is awesome! Especially I like the tests to complete each region. For me, as foreigner, was not always easy to understand the professor but he was very helpful and then tests helped me to fix everything in my head. I plan to take another course with WSG"
- Patrick W Bartleon Jul 6, 2020"Phenomenal course ..!! Well structured with great supplementary learning materials. Rick's enthusiam made it even that much more enjoyable...!! I feel like I learned more relevant and practical information in this course/certification than in many of the others I have previosuly experienced. History, geography, and everything else you need to know to flex your knowledge of Spanish wines on a very high level....Loved it...!! Thank you. Cheers, Pat "
- Jenny Van Lieshouton Jul 6, 2020"Spain is a huge wine country and you can easily get lost in the numerous wine regions and appellations. The Spanish Wine Scholar program provides you with a clear and comprehensive overview of this dynamic wine country. The incorporation of different influencing factors (history, topography, climate etc) of each region makes you better understand the regions and their wine styles. And it makes you want to taste all the wines! "
- Anthony Gerard Higginson Jul 2, 2020"I found the Spanish Wine Scholar course really useful and interesting. The information that I learnt I will be able to use in future projects that I have planned. "
- Debbie Caineon Jun 29, 2020"Loved this course!!! I learned a lot and feel so comfortable with Spanish wine! Can’t wait to go back to Spain and practice what I have learned!!"
- Gretchen Thomason Jun 28, 2020"Wonderfully comprehensive and thorough class on Spain. There’s a ton of knowledge packed into 300 pages, having the online modules really solidified the key points in the text book. I highly recommend this course for anyone looking to sharpen their knowledge in Spanish wines!"
- Richard Miloton Jun 22, 2020"A clear, complete and very well structured program that delivers the need to know and then some. The historical perspective helps to bring wine laws into the right context. The manual is very well designed and Rick Fisher does a first rate job delivering the material. Highly recommended. Richard Milot, FWS Certified Sommelier Ottawa, Canada "
- Ednajar Macedo Filhoon Jun 22, 2020"SWS textbook is written in a very approachable format, easy to understand. The on line supplement materials and quizzes also are very helpful stressing most important points that you should pay attention. Don' t be affraid on chosing the Independent Study Format, I strongly recomend you! "
- Kurt Garbarson Jun 21, 2020"The Spanish Wine Scholar program was very comprehensive and I learned a great deal about a country that is generally underrepresented in most other wine programs. I've enjoyed many great Spanish wines while participating in this program."
STUDY OPTION 2 | CLASSROOM LEARNING
AVAILABLE AROUND THE GLOBE!
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ program is offered by WSG Approved Program Providers, now including 90 wine schools in 30 countries and 5 continents.
Spanish Wine Scholar™ classes are offered by licensed program providers and delivered by an approved SWS instructor. This study format includes:
- Classroom instruction with extensive tutored tastings
- A copy of the SWS study manual
- Access to the SWS online study modules & quizzes for class prep & review
- In-classroom exam sit
All SWS program providers teach from the same Wine Scholar Guild-developed presentations and are supplied with uniform teaching materials.
"Wines from Spain is pleased to have had the opportunity to witness and consult on the development of this much…Alfonso Janeiro DiezHead of Wines From Spain in Madrid"SWS is the only real complete study program on the wines of Spain. It not only covers all winemaking regions…Jonas Tofterup, MWOwner of Iberian Wine Academy in Málaga, Spain