The Spanish Wine Scholar™ education program is a Spanish wine course designed to provide committed students of wine with the most advanced and comprehensive specialization study program on Spanish wine bar none!
It was created by Spanish wine specialist Rick Fisher, Spanish Wine Scholar™ Education Director.
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program.
Recognizing the exceptional depth and accuracy of the program, Wines from Spain (ICEX - Spain's Trade & Investment Government Agency) has endorsed the program.
Individuals who follow this in-depth curriculum and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar title and the SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
Launches online & at Approved Program Providers around the world starting October 2019!
Earn the Spanish Wine Scholar™ (SWS) post-nominal online via the independent study format or enroll in the 15-week instructor-led format with 10 live review webinars.
The Spanish Wine scholar™ distance-learning format includes:
- A suggested schedule of study with learning objectives for each region
- Live review webinars with Rick Fisher, SWS Education Director*
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Downloadable maps of all Spanish wine regions
- Pronunciation exercises to boosts your credibility
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group hosted by students enrolled in the online program
*Instructor-led format only
PRICING FOR THE ONLINE STUDY FORMATS:
15-week instructor-led format (starting Oct. 14th)Price: $790
Spanish Wine Scholar™ classes will be offered by approved program providers. This study format includes:
- Classroom instruction with extensive tutored tastings
- The SWS study manual
- 1-year access to the SWS online study program for class preparation and review
- In-classroom exam sit
All SWS program providers teach from the same Wine Scholar Guild-developed Powerpoint presentations and are supplied with uniform teaching materials.
Naturally, each instructor has a unique teaching style, the wine selection will vary by market, the class length and class structure (weekly, biweekly, weekends etc.) will vary from location to location, but the content will be the same no matter where you take the class. For many, the classroom experience helps to reinforce the theory; a tutored tasting component brings each region to life. Many students find the set “schedule” helpful in keeping on top of their studies.
There are over 60+ WSG program providers in 25 countries on 5 continents.
EMPOWERING STUDENTS TO SUCCEED
Modeled after the French Wine Scholar™ program, Spanish Wine Scholar™ students will receive the same complete set of study materials.
STUDY MATERIALS INCLUDES:
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive e-learning modules for each wine region
- Online quizzes, learning games for self-evaluation
- Hundreds of online flashcards for even more practicing
- Pronunciation exercises
- Detailed Spanish wine maps designed by Quentin Sadler
PLUS: Access to live and recorded review webinars with Rick Fisher, Spanish Wine Scholar™, Education Director for those following the program in its 15-week, instructor-led online format.
This extensive list of study resources will empower students to learn and gain a profound working knowledge of the diverse and evolving world of Spanish wine.
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ manual is the most comprehensive and current coverage on the wines of Spain and follows a regional approach with strong tie-ins to terroir.
Each chapter is designed for maximum content retention and utilizes a systematic approach, allowing the student to compare and contrast each of the wine regions of Spain.
Manuals are current and discuss the most recent trends. They are printed in full-color, are rich in imagery and peppered with the iconic wine labels of each region.
Every Spanish wine appellation is discussed (vs. just mentioned) and triaged by "need-to-know" icons. Emphasis is given to the flavor and structure profiles of the wines.
A Fundamentals Chapter provides an overview which puts all of Spain and its wines into perspective.
The SWS online study program offers interactive e-learning modules that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use.
Each region of Spain is covered and dovetails nicely with the Spanish Wine Scholar™ study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
Spanish Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- E-learning modules loaded with videos and learning games to keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Hundreds of online flashcards
- Pronunciation exercises
- You earn badges to track your accomplishments
#3 Detailed Spanish Wine Maps
Your study manual will be packed with beautiful wine maps which have been designed for this program by Quentin Sadler. Electronic versions of these maps, in addition to blank practice maps are also available for download on the online course page.
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by Rick Fisher, SWS Education Director
- Online Instructor-led Format: via the Q&A forum plus email and live chat with instructors
- In classroom: via a local, certified instructor
COURSE CONTENT & STRUCTURE
The Spanish Wine Scholar™ course is composed of 10 chapters:
- Chapter One - Fundamentals
- Chapter Two - Green Spain
- Chapter Three - The Duero River Valley
- Chapter Four - La Rioja
- Chapter Five - The Ebro River Valley
- Chapter Six - Cataluña
- Chapter Seven - The Central Mediterranean Coast
- Chapter Eight - The Meseta
- Chapter Nine - Andalucía
- Chapter Ten - The Islands
CERTIFICATION EXAM & POST-NOMINAL
SET YOURSELF APART FROM YOUR PEERS. SPECIALIZE IN THE WINES OF SPAIN!
Individuals who follow this in-depth Spanish wine course and pass the exam, earn the Spanish Wine Scholar™ title and SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
The exam is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions. Candidates need a score of 75% to receive the credential.
Students with a composite score of 85-90.5 pass with HONORS. Candidates scoring 91-100 pass with HIGHEST HONORS.