Rioja Wine Study Tour with Jonas Tofterup MW
May 14 – May 19, 2023
YOUR 6 DAY RIOJA IMMERSION STUDY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Instruction throughout by Spanish wine expert and wine educator Jonas Tofterup, MW
- Professional-level tours and tastings at top quality wine producers
- Services of a tour manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- 2 nights at 4-star Abba Hotel in San Sebastian, double occupancy
- 3 nights at 4-star Viura Hotel in Rioja, double occupancy
- Welcome drink with your instructor and tour manager
- 2 gastronomic dinners with fine wines
- 4 gourmet lunches with fine wines
- 5 delicious buffet breakfasts
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
MEET YOUR GUIDES
Your Guide: Jonas Tofterup MW
Jonas Tofterup MW is the first Danish Master of Wine and one of only seven Masters of Wine currently residing and working in Spain. He holds a Master of Science in Viticulture and Oenology and has worked as a winemaker at a number of wineries – including those in numerous regions around Spain, Stellenbosch, Baden, Rheingau, and Denmark. Jonas is the owner and lead educator at Iberian Wine Academy (IWA), one of Spain’s premier wine schools and a WSG Approved Program Provider. Jonas is a partner at Bodegas Trenza in DO Yecla (Murcia) where he makes wine with his brother, David, as well as being an internationally sought-after speaker and wine judge. He is also the coordinator for the MW second-year seminar which will be taking place at Neustadt in Pfalz, Germany.
Your Tour Manager : Danny Adler
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly, and that your needs are met, will be Danny Adler.
Danny was born and raised in New York City and has been living and working in Spain in hospitality and travel since 2007. He is captivated by Spanish cuisine, history, and lifestyle. Danny first started as a food and wine guide in Barcelona and then founded his own company focusing on cultural, culinary, and adventure travel in Catalonia. With his deep knowledge of the region, he will be able to assist trip participants with any logistical needs.
Several reasons to join us in Rioja
- Experience Spain’s most famous wine region!
- Study key grape varieties from vine to glass, including Tempranillo, Garnacha, Graciano, and Mazuelo/Carinena
- Get to know burgeoning varieties such as Tempranillo Blanco and Maturana
- Visit famous producers and discover what make Rioja wines age so gracefully
- Meet daring and experimental producers and learn why they prefer not to participate in Rioja’s classification system
- Interact with some of Rioja’s best winemakers and discuss traditional and modern winemaking methods
- Explore Rioja’s sub-regions and learn first-hand what makes them different from each other
- Enjoy meals of a lifetime as you discover what has made Spain a gastronomic destination
- Meet other like-minded wine lovers
Travel with a group of wine students who are serious about wine, either wine professionals or committed wine lovers. Share an educational, epicurean and unforgettable experience while mastering the world of Rioja. Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
The Magic of Rioja
The distinctive and storied wines of Rioja are considered by many as Spain’s best. No other region comes close to capturing the true spirit of Tempranillo. Though historic, Rioja is far from antiquated; this is a dynamic and vibrant wine growing region. Experience Rioja’s evolution firsthand as you enjoy exclusive cellar tastings and discover new trends under the tutelage of a noted expert instructor!
CHECK OUT ALL UPCOMING WINE TOURS
Our exceptional study trips offer intensive, professional-level, educational programming within the wines regions of France, Italy and Spain. Lead by top wine industry professionals, our itineraries take you into some of the best cellars and vineyards for hands-on learning and unparalleled tasting opportunities. What better way to connect theory with practice!
SWS Intensive in MalagaApr 16 - Apr 21, 2023
PiedmontMay 07 - May 12, 2023
RiojaMay 14 - May 19, 2023
TuscanyMay 21 - May 26, 2023
Languedoc-RoussillonMay 21 - May 26, 2023
Rhône ValleyJun 11 - Jun 16, 2023
ChampagneJun 20 - Jun 24, 2023
Loire ValleyJun 25 - Jun 30, 2023
BourgogneOct 08 - Oct 13, 2023
AlsaceOct 15 - Oct 20, 2023
BordeauxOct 22 - Oct 27, 2023
SicilyOct 22 - Oct 27, 2023
CatalunyaTo Be Announced