THE FRENCH WINE SCHOLAR™ PROGRAM IS THE INDUSTRY'S MOST RESPECTED CERTIFICATION COURSE ON THE WINES OF FRANCE.
The French Wine Scholar™ education program is the most advanced, comprehensive, and up-to-date French wine course available. The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all French wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities.
The program provides committed students of wine with an unparalleled set of study tools that are designed to maximize learning and boost knowledge retention.
The French Wine Scholar ™ Online | Independent Study Format includes
- A comprehensive 330-page study manual with illustrations, maps, and graphics, available in print + e-book formats
- 1-year access to our interactive and user-friendly e-learning platform including online learning modules, pronunciation exercises, quizzes and flashcards
- A suggested schedule of study* with learning objectives that provide detailed assessment criteria for mastery
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group
- An online exam sit (100 multipe choice questions).
The FWS program is available in a 10-week instructor-led online format with professional instructor support from with acclaimed wine educators Sharon Mclean, DipWSET, FWS and WSG Education Director Lisa M. Airey.
We offer all the necessary tools & support to master the wines of France!
FWS Study Manual in print + e-book formats
The 330-page, full-color study manual (NEW 7th Edition) provides all the information from which the test questions are derived. You do not need to research you own study materials; everything you need to know is in the manual.
Comprehensive coverage of France’s 14 distinct wine regions:
- Viticultural history, wine culture and traditions
- Location and climate and their effects on viticulture and wine style
- Topography, geography and soils and their impact on the vine
- Grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles
- Viticulture and winemaking practices
- Wine industry trends and economics
- All AOCs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities
- A Fundamentals Unit covering the history of France, its political geography, physical geography, climate, soils, grapes, training systems, and viticultural & vinicultural practices…plus an important piece on how AOCs are counted and why different sources quote different figures.
- Special focus on current regional trends and challenges
- Pie charts of pertinent AOC production numbers and area under vine by wine region
- Learning objectives that provide detailed assessment criteria for mastery
Regions covered: Alsace, Champagne, Bourgogne, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Southwest, Languedoc, Roussillon, Rhône, Provence, Corsica
FWS Online Study Modules
The FWS online study modules offer interactive presentations that are put into a measurable, meaningful format designed for maximum retention of content and ease of use. Each region of France is covered and dovetails nicely with the French Wine Scholar study manual. Study materials are available 24/7. If you’ve got a laptop and an internet connection, you’ve got a classroom!
French Wine Scholar™ online study modules features:
- Quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Educational graphics, videos and pronunciation exercises to offer new insight and keep you engaged
- Your place is automatically bookmarked/saved to resume where you left off
- A progress bar tracks your accomplishments
Professional Instructor Support
- Online Independent Study: via the Q&A forum answered by French Programs Director
- Online Instructor-led Format: via the Q&A forum plus email and live chat with acclaimed wine educators
- In Classroom: via a local, certified instructor
About the French Wine Scholar:
The French Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam (Ex: John Smith, FWS). With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the FWS credential has true international recognition.
It was created by WSG Education Director, Lisa M. Airey CWE, with the support of the French Ministry of Agriculture which knighted her in recognition of the program's exceptional level of depth, accuracy, detail, and academic rigor as well as its impact on the global wine industry.
"Indispensable for any wine trade professional who works with French wine. Bravo!”
"My most sincere appreciation goes to the WSG team for their great work to make French wines so much fun…