Tuscany Wine Study Tour Highlights
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to travel through all the key appellations of this Italian wine region with a true expert and fabulous instructor!
Tuscany’s famous hills are home to some of the world's most notable wine regions. Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano showcase Sangiovese, the king of red grapes in Toscana. The wines of Bolgheri will challenge what you think you know about Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Experiencing the incredible wines of Vernaccia di San Gimignano, may make you see Italian white wines in a whole new light.
A lot meets the eye when you visit beautiful Tuscany, but so much more is waiting to be discovered. Tuscany’s diverse climatic conditions, soils and topography make the region a vast mosaic of distinctive terroirs—often combined with a rich historic and cultural heritage hard to match elsewhere.
- Enjoy personal guidance and instruction from Jane Hunt, Master of Wine and senior judge for Italian wines at the Decanter World Wine Awards tasting competition
- Visit the region’s most iconic wine appellations including Brunello di Montalcino, Chianti Classico and Bolgheri
- Get access to some of the most prestigious and sought-after large and small wine producers and experience the wonder of “insider” tours
- Discover how short distances between wine regions manifest themselves in the glass as you taste the remarkable differences
- Let Tuscany’s medieval cities transport you through time as you follow cobblestone trails in the region’s famous walled cities
- Indulge in the renowned, authentic cuisine of Tuscany – an immensely varied use of seasonal vegetables, ‘panzanella,’ a summer salad made from bread and fresh tomatoes,’ribollita,’ a bean soup, the famous Fiorentina steaks from the Tuscan breed of Chianina beef, Cinta Senese pork, locally hunted wild boar, delicious pasta dishes often including local truffles in the autumn period as well as all manner of diverse salumi and Pecorino sheep cheeses. Delicioso!
Travel with like-minded, committed students of wine, whether serious wine hobbyists or wine professionals, and share with us an unforgettable educational, epicurean and enlightening experience! Trips are open to people from all countries, and are held in English.
Your Instructor & Guide: Jane Hunt, MW
- Senior judge for Italian wines at Decanter Wine World Awards tasting competition
- Master of Wine specialized in Italian wines
- Jane speaks fluent Italian and spends 6 month of the year in Umbria where she produces olive oil from her own trees
- With over 40 years’ experience in the wine trade Jane has witnessed an amazing revolution in Italian wine production
Matt Kirkland, FWS
Celia Hay, NZ Wine School
Your Tour Manager: Mauro Businaro
Assisting the instructor and making sure logistics run smoothly and that your needs are answered will be Mauro Businaro.
Mauro is an experienced Sommelier and member of the AIS (Italian Sommelier Association). He lives in Padua, Italy and organizes food and wine events, classes and day tours in Venice and the Veneto wine region.
Jane Hunt MW & Andrew Jefford on Tuscany
Sunday, May 26 | D
- Participants arrive independently and meet late afternoon at Pisa Airport.
- Transfer south to the Maremma on the Mediterranean coast and check into beachside 4-star Park Hotel Marinetta.
- Enjoy a Welcome Dinner at the hotel’s gastronomic restaurant, Ombra Della Sera.
Monday, May 27 | Bolgheri | B, L
- Visit Ca’Marcanda, where Angelo Gaja, the renowned Piedmont winemaker, concentrates on growing international grape varieties. A tasting of Gaja’s fabulous wines completes the visit.
- Visit and tasting at Tenuta Guado al Tasso, part of the illustrious Antinori family of vineyards.
- Enjoy a wonderful gourmet lunch at Osteria San Michele.
- Visit Podere Grattamacco, one of the first Bolgheri producers having started in 1977. You’ll have a visit with the winemaker/estate manager and a wonderful tasting.
- Return to the hotel for an evening on your own to enjoy one of their two fine restaurants, or other recommended restaurants nearby.
Tuesday, May 28| Bolgheri & Siena | B
- An auspicious start to the day with a visit and tasting at Tenuta San Guido and the most venerable of the Super Tuscans, Sassicaia.
- At top Super Tuscan producer Tenuta dell’Ornellaia, you’ll have an in-depth visit and tasting.
- Enjoy lunch on your own in the charming small village of Bolgheri. Jane highly recommends a light lunch at the Enoteca Tognoni, which stocks an immense number of Italy’s best wines, including older vintages.
- Arrive late afternoon in Siena, one of Italy’s most beautiful cities, and check into 4-star Hotel NH Siena.
- The late afternoon and evening are yours to discover this incredible city and dine at one of its fine restaurants.
Wednesday, May 29 | Brunello di Montalcino | B, L
- Great visits and tastings today in this classic Tuscany appellation at three of its best producers: Casanova di Neri, Canalicchio di Sopra and Castello Banfi.
- Enjoy a rustic lunch with views of the valley at Locanda Demetra.
- Move on to Radda in Chianti and check in to historic 4-star Relais Vignale.
- Take the evening to explore the charming village of Radda, with our restaurant suggestions.
Thursday, May 30 | Chianti Classico | B, L, D
- Your first visit is at Isole e Olena. Here Paolo De Marchi produces the 100% Sangiovese Cepparello, hailed as one of the greatest expressions of Sangiovese from Tuscany today.
- Visit Castello di Fonterutoli, with its state-of-the-art winery, spectacular views of Siena and great wines.
- Enjoy a gourmet meal of Tuscan specialities at the estate’s own Osteria di Fonterutoli.
- The last visit of the day is at Fontodi, a certified organic estate with a special terroir called “Conca d’Oro” (the golden shell) for its amphitheatre shape.
- Return to Radda to freshen up, then take a very short ride to the magical medieval village of Volpaia for your farewell dinner as guests of Castello Volpaia’s owner Giovanna Stianti in the elegant private dining room of the family villa.
Friday, May 31 | Chianti Classico | B, L
- Visit highly-rated Badia a Coltibuono where you’ll visit their 12th-century Romanesque monastery and lush botanical garden, followed by a tasting of their great wines.
- At Antinori’s winery in Bargino, you’ll see their spectacular cellar and enjoy an in-depth visit and tasting, followed by a delicious ‘al fresco’ lunch at the estate’s Rinuccio restaurant.
- Round out your time in Tuscany with a visit and tasting at the Antinori family’s legendary estate, Tenuta Tignanello.
- Late afternoon group transfer to Florence.
Legend for meals included in your tour: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
* Itinerary subject to change: every effort will be made to keep the itinerary as close as possible to what appears here; however, the final itinerary and estates/winemakers included may vary due to wine producer schedules, availability and factors beyond our control. The wine estates visited during this trip will all be of the highest quality.
- Instruction throughout by Tuscan wine expert Jane Hunt, Master of Wine
- The services of a Tour Manager throughout, to provide customer service and logistics support
- Deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach transportation throughout, with bottled water on-board
- 2 nights at 4-star Park Hotel Marinetta in Marina di Bibbona, double occupancy
- 1 night at 4-star Hotel NH in Siena, double occupancy
- 2 nights at 4-star Relais Vignale in Radda in Chianti, double occupancy
- 2 gastronomic dinners expertly matched with top-quality regional wines
- 4 gourmet lunches expertly matched with top-quality regional wines
- 5 delicious buffet breakfasts
- All professional-level tours and extensive tastings at renowned wine producers
- All hotel and other taxes, and gratuities for included restaurants
Price per person, double occupancy: US$ 4,495.00
Single Supplement: US$ 395.00
Deposit upon reservation: US$ 1000.00 per person, per trip
Get US$ 150 off each additional trip you take!**
NOTE: There are a limited number of twin rooms available. Please let us know if you’d like to share a twin room with another participant to avoid the single supplement and pay the double occupancy price instead.
**After you have reserved your first Study Trip in 2019, you will receive a Discount of US$150 for each additional Study Trip you take in the same calendar year. This Discount will be deducted from the final balance payment for each additional Study Trip. You must pay in full for the first Study Trip you reserve to be eligible to receive the Discount for additional Study Trips.
Space is limited to 18 participants, so reserve your space today!
For more information: