A growing body of scientific evidence shows that what people taste when evaluating a wine, and how much they enjoy the experience, can be influenced by the music that happens to be playing at the same time. Limited research has been published about the effects of music on sparkling wine. Learn about the latest experiment conducted in this field, focusing on classical music and the perception of a Brut non-vintage Champagne.
Feel free to enjoy a glass of champagne, sparkling, or any wine you like as you learn about the findings of this exciting new research!
PRESENTER: SUSAN R. LIN
Susan is the Head of Wine Expertise for online fine wine retailer Belmont Wine Exchange in the San Francisco Bay Area, serving customers worldwide. As a consultant she curates wine collections, designs wine programs, and specializes in wine and spirit music pairings and events. Susan was named Master of Wine in February 2021 upon the passing of her research paper ‘Influences of classical music on the perception of a Brut non-vintage Champagne’. Susan completed the WSET Diploma while working as a program manager in the high-tech industry, during which she lived and traveled extensively in East Asia.
A lifelong devotee of music, Susan is a classical pianist and holds a Master of Fine Arts in Classical Piano Performance and Musicology. She has performed internationally as a Chinese classical and folk dancer. Susan also works with performing arts organizations to grow their audiences through innovative programming and events, integrating wine whenever possible. Her joy is to create memorable experiences through wine and the performing arts.
- Slide show text 1: Music and Wine
- Slide show text 2: Classical Music and a Brut Non-Vintage Champagne
Become a member of the Wine Scholar Guild to view recorded member webinars. JOIN NOW
- The Changing Taste of Champagne with Patrick Schmitt, MW
- Best restaurants for your Champagne wine tour
- It's the Nitrogen, of course! The Backstory of Biodynamics with Romana Echensperger, MW
- The Challenges of Wine Growing in China: Extreme Viticulture with Fongyee Walker, Master of Wine
- Bourgogne Goes Green
- Champagne for the Festive Season with Essi Avellan MW
- Taste Wine Like An MW: Part 3 with Matthew Stubbs MW
- An MW’s Guide to Tasting with Matthew Stubbs MW
Susan Lin Friday, 11 June 2021 18:04 Comment Link
I hope you enjoyed the webinar! We provided the slides handout after the event so as to have everyone on an interactive journey together during the live event. Thank you for your understanding! Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about this topic. I appreciate your interest and support!