A 6-MONTH JOURNEY TO MASTER
THE COMPLEXITY OF BOURGOGNE WINES!
Led by a team of Bourgogne experts and endorsed by the Bourgogne Wine Board (BIVB) this six-month program will take you deep into one of the world’s richest and complex wine regions. Gaining access to Bourgogne and its wines can be challenging. Let WSG open the doors for you to this historic and fascinating region.
This six-month online format combines the ease and flexibility of on-demand learning, with the structure and camaraderie of an online instructor-led program.
Students will study the history, geology, viticulture and winemaking practices, terroirs, vintages, and significant producers of the region via more than 35 recorded lectures. Content has been divided into shorter segments to minimize screen time and maximize content retention. Key concepts will be re-examined each month via live online review sessions.
Next Bourgogne Masters online session starts on
Take a sneak peak at just one of the many video interviews included in the program. The interviews, led by Andrew Jefford, WSG’s Academic Advisor, and with leading Bourgogne experts, allow students to put their new knowledge into perspective:
- A printed copy of the 358 page fully revised Bourgogne Masters comprehensive study manual
- More than 35 recorded lectures on Bourgogne's history, geology, viticulture and winemaking practices, terroirs, vintages and significant producers of the region
- 6 live monthly review webinars with your instructors, always recorded for on-demand replay
- A series of video interviews by Andrew Jefford with some of the most admired experts of the region
- A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a tasting group
- Online, proctored exam sit
- Access to instructors via the Q&A forum
Next Bourgogne Masters online session starts on
Bourgogne ML Graduate Testimonials
I found the Master Level program of Bourgogne to be one of the most invaluable courses I’ve taken to date.Celeste BaileyWine Educator, Florida Wine AcademyWSET Level 2, WSET Level3, FWS with highest honors, Rhone Master Level with highest honorsThe Master-Level program allowed me to take a more general understanding of wine and focus on a specific area and type of wine. I love understanding how the history, natural attributes and culture of a given place shape its wines.Kari DawsonWine EnthusiastWSET Level 3, Certified Specialist of Wine CSW, Certified Specialist of Spirits
Robin Kick, MW
• Independent wine consultant, journalist, educator and wine judge.
• Studied at the BIVB (Bureau Interprofessionel des Vins de Bourgogne) in Beaune, the Université du Vin in Suze-la-Rousse in the Rhône Valley and the WSET.
• Previously worked as a Wine Auction Specialist for Christie’s in Beverly Hills, California and Fine Wine Buyer for Goedhuis & Co., a London-based wine merchant with an award-winning Burgundy list.
• Became a Master of Wine in 2014 with a dissertation on whole cluster fermentation in Pinot Noir from the Côte d’Or.
• Wine writer since 1988.
• Author of The New France, Whisky Island, Andrew Jefford's Wine Course.
• Academic Advisor with the Wine Scholar Guild.
• Contributing Editor and columnist for Decanter and World of Fine Wine.
• Winner of 8 Glenfiddich Awards and 8 Roederer Awards
• French resident (Montpellier) since 2010.
Donald P. Kinnan CSS, CWE
• Over 35 years in the fine wine trade.
• Spent over 20 years as the Director of Education at Kobrand Corporation, a family-owned wine importer, vineyard owner, and marketing company.
• Cited by the US Government for his role as founder of the Society for American Wines in Canada.
• Recognized by the French Government and designated “Chevalier dans l’Ordre du Merite Agricole”.
• Served as board member of the Society of Wine Educators.
• Wine educator with over 10 years of experience.
• Founded Magnus Vinum with the vision of offering high-level Burgundy education.
• Magnus Vinum has evolved to also import a number of Burgundy domaines.
• WSET Level 4 Diploma.
• Official Bourgogne Wine Ambassador.
• Consulting geologist, specializing in the terroirs of France’s wine regions, and most notably those of Bourgogne.
• Produced several preliminary technical reports to reclassify certain plots at a higher appellation level.
• Instructed at the University of Burgundy, Burgundy School of Business, Lycée Viticole de Beaune and ISARA.
• Contributor to the geological chapters in Remington Norman’s (UK) book “Grand Cru”, “Le Rouge & Le Blanc”, “La Revue des Vins de France”, “Le Magazine of Ficofi”.
• Author of the cross-sectional geological maps in “The Wines of Burgundy” by Sylvain Pitiot and Jean-Charles Servant.
WE OFFER ALL THE NECESSARY TOOLS
TO FULLY UNDERSTAND THE WINES OF BOURGOGNE
A 358-PAGE COMPREHENSIVE STUDY MANUAL
The Bourgogne Masters study manual is a combination of the content of “The Wines of Burgundy” (14th edition) by Sylvain Pitiot and Jean-Charles Servant with WSG insights and perspective.
These materials have been amassed into a single book and the student is given three voices within one manual and an opportunity to look at Bourgogne from the standpoint of very different yet complimentary assessments. The goal of this approach is to paint a multi-dimensional view of a multi-faceted wine region.
Through both presentation of hard fact and philosophical mindset, the manual will comprehensively cover:
- Viticultural history
- Geology, topography, soil layers
- Grapes and the vine
- Burgundian grape growing practices
- Burgundian winemaking practices
- All sub-regions and all appellations
- Terroir as expressed in climats and lieux-dits
- Wine villages; grands crus & premiers crus
- Wine trade, wine statistics, industry trends
- PLUS: Detailed maps for each village
MORE THAN 35 RECORDED LECTURES ON BOURGOGNE'S HISTORY, GEOLOGY, VITICULTURAL AND WINE MAKING PRACTICES, TERROIRS, VINTAGES, AND SIGNIFICANT PRODUCERS OF THE REGION.
Students will study the history, geology, viticulture and winemaking practices, terroirs, vintages and significant producers of the region via more than 35 recorded lectures. Content has been divided into shorter segments to minimize screen time and maximize content retention.
Course content is divided in tracks with strong focus on producers:
- Regional context: history, viti/vini practices, wine law
- Terroirs: climate, geology, sub-regions and their appellations
- Producers: historic, leading & new generation
5 LIVE MONTHLY REVIEW WEBINARS
Key concepts will be re-examined each month via live online review sessions.
You can’t make a webinar live? No worries. They are all recorded for on-demand replay!
A SERIES OF VIDEO INTERVIEWS BY ANDREW JEFFORD WITH SOME OF THE MOST ADMIRED EXPERTS OF THE REGION
Jasper Morris MW
Bourgogne Author and Expert
Technical Director of Louis Jadot
ONLINE, PROCTORED EXAM SIT
The exam is comprised of three separate sections: 50 multiple-choice questions, four short-answer questions and a map exercise. Passing score is 75/100. The exam questions and essay topics are taken from the Bourgogne Masters study manual and online lectures. Practice maps are also available in the online classroom.
Candidates will need a computer with reliable internet hook up, a webcam, working microphone and speaker. The exam cannot be taken from a tablet, smart phone or Chromebook.
+ A LIST OF RECOMMENDED WINES TO SAMPLE ON YOUR OWN OR IN A TASTING GROUP
+ ACCESS TO INSTRUCTORS VIA THE Q&A FORUM
Recorded for on-demand viewing
Tuesday, October 31, 2023 @ 12:00 noon EST
Chablis and Grand Auxerrois
Tuesday, November 28, 2023 @ 12:00 noon EST
Côte de Nuits
Tuesday, January 9, 2024 @ 12:00 noon EST
Côte de Beaune
Tuesday, January 30, 2024 @ 12:00 noon EST
Côte Chalonnaise & Maconnais
Tuesday, February 27, 2024 @ 12:00 noon EST
*All webinars are recorded and available for on-demand replay after they air live.
WHO IS THIS MASTERS PROGRAM FOR:
- For dedicated Bourgogne wine enthusiasts:
If you are passionate about Bourgogne and want to acquire a full understanding of its terroirs and unique history, this program is for you. You will gain a 360-degree understanding of the viticulture, winemaking, history, and the people who make this wine region so unique and appraised globally. After taking this program, you will be able to confidently speak on all aspects of Bourgogne as a region and a wine.
- For wine professionals:
This program is ideal for sommeliers and customer-facing wine professionals seek to boost their knowledge about Bourgogne. After taking this program, wine professionals such as sommeliers, food & beverage directors, servers, wine educators, amongst others, will be able to speak with authority while offering outstanding service and guidance about Bourgogne wines.
The Bourgogne Masters program sets a new standard in advanced wine education. Structured around the terroirs of Bourgogne, each month will focus on a specific sub-region and deliver a wealth of comprehensive and up-to-date study aids. You will find reading assignments from the manual, recorded sessions from an incredible panel of renowned instructors and Bourgogne specialists, and recorded interviews with leading Bourgogne experts.
All of this is on-demand, allowing you to create a study plan that suits your schedule. To keep you on track, there are monthly live review webinars which will review the key lessons.
Disclaimer: WSG offers wine study courses that are targeted to both beginners and those more experienced in the wine industry. While WSG has received many accolades, awards, and testimonials, WSG is not an accredited institution or school. WSG does not guarantee or warrant that any employer or school will recognize WSG wine study courses. While WSG knows that it is a well-recognized institution within the multi-national wine community, it cannot guarantee anyone success in their profession or vocation.