Wine Scholar Guild honors Asia Wine and Service Education Centre (AWSEC) as 2018 Italian Wine Scholar™ (IWS) Program Provider of the Year!
IWS Program Provider of the Year rewards professionalism and perfectionism in the business of wine education and delivery of the Italian Wine Scholar study & certification program. Judging criteria includes student volume, facilities, student evaluations and the overall profile of the course offerings given by that learning institution. These factors, together, create an award-winning environment of academic rigor and excellence.
Congratulations to AWSEC!
INTERVIEW WITH JENNIE MACK, FOUNDER AND TEACHER OF AWSEC
You are successfully teaching both the Italian Wine Scholar and the French Wine Scholar program at AWSEC. Why is the market responding to these specialization courses?
Having been involved in wine education and training since 1994, AWSEC has thousands of students who are keen learners of wine and have attained high levels of wine qualifications such as the WSET Diploma. Equipped with the vast knowledge of the wines of the world, they want to further deepen their knowledge for France and Italy and become specialists of these countries.
How long have you been teaching WSG courses? What are your students doing with these credentials?
AWSEC has been teaching WSG courses since 2013.
Students have various purposes for holding these credentials:
- A career change or enhance their career prospects
- Help them with their job especially if their portfolio mostly carries French or Italian wines.
- They love French and /or Italian wines and holding these credentials endorses and validates their passion for these wines.
- Use this knowledge to prepare them for higher level wine exams or competitions.
- Enhance their enjoyment and appreciation when travelling to France and /or italy
You are about to celebrate AWSEC’s 25th anniversary… how have you seen wine education change over the last decade/decades in Hong Kong? ?
We are very proud to have been involved in the development of the wine industry in Hong Kong and China – training managers and key players in various aspects in the wine industry – sommeliers, educators, journalists, buyers, retail sales, logistics etc. There continues to be a growing interest in education as evidenced in the many wine fairs, auctions, wine events and are well attended by knowledgeable consumers.
What type of experience do you provide to FWS and IWS students at AWSEC (teaching methods, social components, support outside of class, etc) that you think sets you apart?
With many years experience in teaching about wine, we adapt to the needs of our students, making our classes fun and interesting. Our teachers are well prepared and ensure the right pronunciation of the grape varieties and appellations are applied. AWSEC is a full-time school and there are opportunities where students can make up classes and exams considering that our students are professionals and lead busy lives. We have a wonderful cohort of students who come from all walks of life and from various countries making interactions in class fun and fascinating.
Tell us about your plans for the years to come...
We continue to strive excellence in our course delivery and exam performances both in Hong Kong and in China. We are looking forward to offering the Spanish Wine Scholar and eventually all the Master level courses offered by Wine Scholar Guild.
2018 WINE SCHOLAR GUILD AWARDS:
- French Wine Scholar Program Provider of the Year: Cru Consultancy (Vancouver, Canada)
- French Wine Scholar Instructor of the Year: Tanya Morning Star (Seattle, WA)
- Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider of the Year: Asia Wine Service & Education Centre (Hong Kong)
- Italian Wine Scholar Instructor of the Year: Jimmy Smith (London, UK)
Previous Years WSG Awards:
- 2017 French Wine Scholar Program Provider of the Year: West London Wine School (London, UK)
- 2017 French Wine Scholar Instructor of the Year: Mr. Hwee Peng Lim, CWE, FWS (Singapore)
- 2017 Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider of the Year: Independent Wine Education Guild - IWEG (Toronto, CAN)
- 2017 Italian Wine Scholar Instructor of the Year: Mr. Chris Miller (San Francisco Wine School, USA)
- 2016 WSG Program Provider of the Year: Art Institute of Vancouver (Vancouver, CAN)
- 2016 WSG Instructor the Year: Sheral Schowe, M.Ed., FWS, IWS (Wasatch Academy of Wine, Salt Lake City, USA)
- 2015 WSG Program Provider of the Year: AWSEC (Hong Kong, HKG)
- 2015 WSG Instructor the Year: David Glancy MS, FWS (San Francisco Wine School, USA)